A piece of snot hugging Chinese balls?

Is this really how the FM of Taiwan referred to Singapore?

I’m sure Singapore has been called worse by better people. In light of its policies, I don’t see this as being an extreme view of them.

Did he really say that though?

CYA
Okami

I quickly scanned a front page article on today’s China Post…I’m paraphrasing but that was close to his actual words (in Taiwanese though).

Read about it here:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3697244.stm

FM was misquoted in Mandarin. The reporter’s Taiwanese was bad so the newspaper took the direct translation in mandarin. In Taiwanese the reference to the “snot” is a common and nonoffensive saying and just meant that Taiwan was “small” compared to China.

Ok, but he was referring to Singapore, not Taiwan.

Also, apparently news reports are saying the same guy said something to the effect that 'China can fire 50 missiles at us and we’ll return 100."

This seems dangerous and most un-Foreign Minister-like

The FM didn’t say anything about missiles. The Premier said it a couple of days earlier in response to the protest in Taipei against arms purchases. Also, he said Taiwan should be able to return 50 missiles for China’s 100, not 100 for 50.

Rooftop: Singapore seriously offended Taiwan by saying it would never support Taiwan independence, nor would any other country in Asia and that Taiwan’s leaders are leading it down a path towards destruction if they continue to seek independence. These last comments were made at the UN. There comments were really uncalled for.

I think what Foreign Minister Mark Chen was taken out of context and blown out of porportion by Taiwan’s opposition political parties, the KMT and PFP.

FM Chen said something to the effect that it was a shame when a country [Singapore] so insignificant (as a bugger) could criticize Taiwan like they did. He also made references to Singapore holding China’s testicles in their hands. (Ass kissers).

Here a quote from [url=http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackageArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=592998

The story (don’t know if it’s true) goes that in the nineteenth century, the keeper of the Paris zoo posted a sign in front of one of the animals’ cages, in response to complaints:

This animal is very wicked. If one attacks it, it defends itself.

I think that the Premier and the Foreign Minister have merely been doing a little sign-posting.

I think whenever, whoever presents Taiwan should be careful at whatever they are going to say. It is indeed a shame that Chen’s speech didn’t save Taiwan at all but put Taiwan in more troubles.

In short, I think there are so many idiots from DPP who are big mouth…this type of action is quite dangerous and similar to the story of " here comes the wolf", as long as they say what they want to say and don’t feel that they should be responsible for it.
Don’t they understand that the safty of Taiwan strait and the people is more important??? :fume:

Yeah the DPP FM did say Singapore was no bigger than snot and hugs China privates (Minnan term).

What is that suppose to mean “language they could easily understand.” Not all people who speak Taiwanese uses crude terms like that. Is he trying to imply Taiwanese has no other terms or his “people” not educated enough to express dissatisfaction more eloquently? It is a total reflection of how inadequate he is for the position of FM.

How is it blown out of proportion? Singapore at least tried to help by sending there leader to be here to ROC soil. Do you see soon to be leaders of Japan or USA coming to ROC soil.

If our own FM cannot be diplomatic enough to garner support through proper language, is it any surprise that the 26 nations who do support us are being bought off.

A sad sad day in international affairs on Taiwan.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Yeah the DPP FM did say Singapore was no bigger than snot and hugs China privates (Minnan term).

What is that suppose to mean “language they could easily understand.” Not all people who speak Taiwanese uses crude terms like that. Is he trying to imply Taiwanese has no other terms or his “people” not educated enough to express dissatisfaction more eloquently? It is a total reflection of how inadequate he is for the position of FM.

How is it blown out of proportion? Singapore at least tried to help by sending there leader to be here to ROC soil. Do you see soon to be leaders of Japan or USA coming to ROC soil.

If our own FM cannot be diplomatic enough to garner support through proper language, is it any surprise that the 26 nations who do support us are being bought off.

A sad sad day in international affairs on Taiwan.[/quote]

I’m mourning now… :frowning:

Hey Erica and AC, pardon me, but I am still rolling on the floor with laughter every time I read the comments by Taiwan’s FM. His words were timed so perfectly and I am looking forward to more of the same from Mark Chen. Hahahaha… :laughing:

Hey did you see in that Reuters article where FM Mark Chen spent 30 years in exile for views on Taiwan’s independence. Poor guy. Now he gets the chance to stand up for the country he loves. Damn little snots in Singapore. I think people are getting too far away from what Singapore said to embarass Taiwan and piss off the Foreign Minister so much that he said what he said.

Buahhahaha…Oh my, I am still laughing.

Hey Erica and AC, pardon me, but I am still rolling on the floor with laughter every time I read the comments by Taiwan’s FM. His words were timed so perfectly and I am looking forward to more of the same from Mark Chen. Hahahaha… :laughing:

Hey did you see in that Reuters article where FM Mark Chen spent 30 years in exile for views on Taiwan’s independence. Poor guy. Now he gets the chance to stand up for the country he loves. Damn little snots in Singapore. I think people are getting too far away from what Singapore said to embarass Taiwan and piss off the Foreign Minister so much that he said what he said.

Buahhahaha…Oh my, I am still laughing.[/quote]

Oh yes, it’s very funny because I didn’t say something like that in public. It’s a humiliation he caused by himself and also drag the whole taiwan into with him…

[quote=“Erica1973”]Oh yes, it’s very funny because I didn’t say something like that in public. It’s a humiliation he caused by himself and also drag the whole taiwan into with him…[/quote] Were you not offended and so angry about what Singapore said about Taiwan? If you were upset about Singapore said, then you should also have been laughing about what Taiwan’s FM said.

The title of this thread is wrong as is ac_dropout’s description of “hugging” China’s balls.
These are crass idiomatic expressions of which there are many in English. Probably inappropriate from a foreign minister in any context, whether they are true or not.

“…even a country as tiny as a piece of snot like Singapore” can criticize Taiwan and former President Lee Teng-hui at the United Nations

Thanks Hobart and others for clarifying this.

Yes, what Singapore said and did was reprehensible.

Such a colorful retort!

Wolf, thanks too for the correction, but as you’ve corrected it, can we let the title stand as it is a question and seems more catchy this way. I’ll change it though if an accurate quote is preferable to catchiness.

Someone made the point about opposition parties exploiting this and after living here for 4 years, I can believe that.

ac_dropout’s point seems like a good one too: vulgarity = language that locals understand!?!? :astonished:

But, his clarification (Chen’s) both illuminates that he is not a pure politician (what politician is really ever off the record while serving an office?) and that makes me like him. The guy’s human. What is unfortunate is that the situation is so volatile that off-the-cuff remarks that provoke while maybe refreshingly human can be dangerous.

Isn’t that VP Lu’s job, anyway?

Hobart,

Mark Chen is a known Taidu advocate in the USA. However, him spending 30 years in the USA, means he has been in the USA longer than I have. One would question how in touch with “people” he is these days, if that is the type of language he is resorting to.

[quote]http://www.etaiwannews.com/Opinion/2004/04/25/1082840903.htm

Trained as a research scientist and having lived in the United States for nearly three decades, Chen stands out with his moderate tones and low-key style, in sharp contrast to the hodge-podge of flamboyant and eccentric personalities who prosper like plagues in Taiwanese politics. [/quote]
Well it seems it took him 5 months after taking on his first dipolmatic position in ROC, to acclimate himself to ROC political environment and be no different than any number of unqualified career politicians and diplomats on Taiwan. He’s a quick study. I will be expecting more entertaining comments from this one. He might even make VP one day.

Singapore message in the UN is no different from their official statements shortly after the soon-to-be-PM came to Taiwan. A war over the Strait Issue is bad.

[quote]http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/109089/1/.html

Taiwan Foreign Minister Chen Tan-sun has said he has no plan to apologise to Singapore for derisively calling the small city-state “a country the size of a booger”.

Chen quickly replied “no” to reporters asking if he plans to extend an apology for his language.

Taiwan’s foreign ministry spokesman Michel Lu said Chen regretted that his comment had caused “uncomfortable feelings among some people”.

“It’s not an apology, since Singapore didn’t protest or condemn it (Chen’s comment). The minister has expressed his regrets,” Lu said. [/quote]

Well at least he is learning the art of a political apologia.

The idiocy is compounded by the fact that the booger country Singapore weighing in at rank 29. Singapore $24389.21 per person is better off and richer than the betelnut blob of a country 49. Taiwan $17962.21 per person.

Supporters for these kinds of people only show their true colors as Taiwan “patriots”.

Those comments should be protested by Taiwan’s gay population. (“But dah-ling, what’s WRONG with holding someone else’s balls?”)