A place to crash during the day in Taipei

It’s hot out there and the heat is enervating. My home is out of the way. Where in the city can I find a place to catch some z’s before I’m due in at my workplace? Love hotels come to mind, but I’ve never been to one. Does it cater only to people “in love” or can I just check into one for a couple of hours by myself without getting strange looks or unwanted solicitation?

YOu can go to MTVs and pay for a movie and kinda doze your way thru.

What bout those 24 hour cafes that have individual booths . They charge by the minute (was something like 1nt/minute in 99) and you get all the soft drink u can drink, as well as tea or coffee and all the books you can read, plus magazines and stuff.

Iv been to a real nice one on chongshiao / tunhwa years ago. dont know if they are still in existance.

You could get urself a booth and kinda chill out.

But the MTV is darker and has nicer sofas.

If u went to a love hotel by yourself people there would assume you want to order in a girl.

Tommy, MTV’s went the way of the dinasours…

Incubus, public libraries and cafes are the place to go.

I think there’s s till one on Zhongxiao Section 4, upstairs from Luxy.

Business opportunity?

Sleeping/resting pods like in Japan. Small enough for one person to lay in, with a tv and radio.

For resting during the day, and passing out at night.

I think there’s s till one on Zhongxiao Section 4, upstairs from Luxy.[/quote]

And there are many more over in Hsimen.
Great, ahem, date places.

Actually his idea about the internet cafes with private booths is a great idea.
It’s very, very cheap and comfy.
There’s a place I’ve used by the corner of Heping/Roosevelt rd before.
I’d misplaced my keys and needed a place to crash for a few hours.

[quote=“Icon”]Tommy, MTV’s went the way of the dinasours…

Incubus, public libraries and cafes are the place to go.[/quote]

YOu mean to say there aint none now?? Even my fav haunt on the 9th floor (or tenth) of the same building as that famous dance spot on chonghsiao/dunhwa ??

OH yeah LUXY> Its the same building as LUXY i believe. Even thats gone??

that place was way cool, bout 50 rooms and a lot of films to watch .

Plus you can do “other stuff” in there too :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: thats what happens when you comment before reading all the postings. YEah. thast the one Maoman. Hope its still there. Awesome place. Bring your own beer (and preferably a gf ) and 120 a head to see a movie on a nice big projection tv with ur own darkened room . GReat stuff.

I’d aim for the botanical gardens; it’s several degrees cooler in shady gardenplaces, esp. near water.

MacDonalds is 15 degrees cooler. Make like a high school kid and go to Maidanglao for a while.

Yep, I was going to say that you should do as the locals–not just high schoolers in my experience–and take a McNap.

Yep, I was going to say that you should do as the locals–not just high schoolers in my experience–and take a McNap.[/quote]

. . . under the McSlide in the McPlayground . . .

. . . probably be a McWeek before you’re McCaught . . .

I just meant for a McNap, not to lurk around the play area doing a McMichael Jackson.

Uh . . .

I think McMichael McGot the McKids to McCometohisplayground.

Just find an alley hotel with a 300 NT rate for 3 hours. Ya, they may probably ask you if you want some company. Just say no. (Shudder the thought) Just get some rest and relax. I friend of mine used to have a 3 hour break and had nothing to do. He would go get some some alley food and take it to the hotel. Got a couple hours sleep and showed up ready to teach the little . . . . . .

darlings

Those study centers - K書中心 - south of the Train Station area around Nanyang and Xinyang Streets are great places to catch a few ZZZZs, because they’re quiet, cheap and air-conditioned. You can get a cubicle or a private study room. They don’t have beds, of course.

Thanks for all the replies folks. The fast food restaurants, study centers, libraries, botanical gardens are all too spartan. I want to be recumbent, not sitting.

As for the MTVs, aren’t they like love hotels in disguise? Saw that recent news report about a police crackdown on one in Ximending where it offered “viewing companions” to go with the movies. :ponder:

The sleeping/resting pods tango42 mentioned would be ideal, but someone has to introduce them to Taipei. :pray: I’ll be the first one to check it out. Like he said, it should be a good business opportunity. :uhhuh:

“Viewing companions” presumably for rent ? what a great idea :slight_smile: Dint have em when I was there (not that I know of anyway). Well none that you can rent with your movie. YOu had to bring your own “viewing companion” .

My fav one on chongshiao/dunhwa did have a personal fire escape. a harness you can put on yourselves thats supposed to lower you and a mate (at the same time) at a proper speed after you jump out the window in case of a fire.

after getting home at 7am this morning i have decided that i need to find a place to crash after partying in Taiwan. Are there any decent hotels that have 2 single beds we could crash on for a few hours in taipei before heading for the first train?

You mean you don’t like walking from Taipei 101 to Taipei Main Station at 4am, just to kill some time until the trains start running? Crazy. :stuck_out_tongue: