A popcorn popper and kernels

Looking for an air popcorn popper. The kind you plug in and dump kernels into. Don’t have a microwave and not really interested in microwave popcorn. Watching a lot of movies. Missing my popcorn!
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 2

Lots online (e.g. at Ruten). Also saw one at Hola a couple years back, but it was Hello Kitty themed, ugh!

You can pop them yourself really easily in a heavy-bottomed saucepan with a lid. Just a splash of oil and a layer of kernels at the bottom - no more or the pan will overflow. On a high heat, start shaking when the popping starts and stop when it stops.

Will give it a shot! Now I need to find raw kernels. Lol

Popcorn is everywhere.
Now, my mama’s fat boy recipe for popcorn goop. Get the popcorn done and dribble some butter over it with a sprinkle of salt. Ya gotta taste it here. Then, in a saucepan, put a cup of sugar and a dribble of condensed milk; easily found in every market with the coffee. Bring it to a boil and add more of the condensed milk until it is a thick gooey mass. Then add a dribble of vanilla (I like rum flavor) and a pinch of salt. Dribble the goop over the popcorn. Stir the mass until it starts to cool and the sugary stuff will coat each kernel.
Then worry all night about how you are gaining weight.

You can get kernels at Wellcome, Aimai, Carrefour etc. IMHO the best popcorn is stove-top popped. Just as easy and saves you buying yet another cheap plastic kitchen appliance to boot. I use a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a wok with a lid and it works a treat–the rounded bottom means the kernels slide down to the heat and the popcorn stays up the sides and never burns…even without much shaking. A flat bottom pot requires more vigorous armwork, but from your profile pic that doesn’t seem like it will be a problem. :wink:

Hahaha. Lol. I have a nice wok. Gonna give it a shot! Much thanks.

Been looking for a hot air popper recently. I WAS met with blank stares. What is the official Chinese name for such a device? Please type the Chinese text. The skillet idea works great, but I would like to eliminate all oil if possible.

For the food scientist geek in me, please tell me, what does the oil actually do? Does the oil get absorbed into the popcorn? I reduced the oil too much and I got quite a few burnt kernels. I’d rather use my “oil budget” by splashing on some extra virgin olive oil on the popcorn after it is popped than having it absorbed by the corn as tasteless fat.

I have one of those old fashioned table top Galloping Gourmet air ovens. They are made of glass and have a big fan on the top. They work great for home made nuggets and yams, but I did not have much luck with the popcorn. Either too burnt or not popped. I wonder what the magic temperature and time is.

Edit: I found this at what looks to be a reasonable price!
goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21401077123053

Also, I’m looking for a good source of kernels. I can only find the small bags of popcorn in the supermarket at about $40NT. No night market guy can make a profit of that kind of thing. Unfortunately, unlike flour and baking supplies, where I saved a fortune by going to the “wholesale” baking supply houses instead of the supermarket, I’ve been unable to find popcorn in bulk. Where is that secret store that every popcorn seller is using?

OK… WHOSE HOLDING OUT ON ME! WHERE ARE THE PROFESSIONAL POPPERS getting their corn.
I already buy my other baking materials from the local food service stores that local businesses use to get their materials. (These baking stores, for newbies, are open to everyone and you can buy flour and other stuff at 1/4 the price of the supermarket)

But I can’t find the POPCORN!!! I am stuck buying it at 37-40NT a small sized bag. Granted, it’s cheaper than the pre-popped popcorn that sells for around 50NT in the market. There must be a source for a bigger economy sized package. I don’t see the popcorn makers making much at the supermarket prices. Note, I can travel to Kaohsiung/Pingtung for a good deal. I’ll even do mail order.

I buy a large-ish size bag for 70-80NT at The Box Store on Mingcheng Rd next to BoAi. It must be around 1kg. I buy a smaller bag (600gm) at my local supermarket for 50-60NT. Popcorn seems like a hit and miss item at stores. Either they have it or they don’t. Try a few more stores.

This is Kaohsiung? The Box Store? Is this the same store that was run by a drunken Taiwanese for many years? I’m not sure of the street you refer to. I had a chance to walk past the area of “The Box” store that I used over then plus years ago. The whole area was changed around with the addition of the MRT station. Only had time for a five minute peek and did not see it.

This is Kaohsiung? The Box Store? Is this the same store that was run by a drunken Taiwanese for many years? I’m not sure of the street you refer to. I had a chance to walk past the area of “The Box” store that I used over then plus years ago. The whole area was changed around with the addition of the MRT station. Only had time for a five minute peek and did not see it.[/quote]

Just north of Aozidi Park (in Kaohsiung). 1.2 kg for 68NT (I went last night).