A question about 破音字

I understand that a po4yin1zi4 is a character that has 2 different readings. Does this extend to characters that have the same pronunciation however with a different tone?

For instance the character 背 can be pronounced as either bei1 or bei4. In addition the character 教 can be pronounced as either jiao1 or jiao4.

It seems to me that most of these characters use the tone to distinguish between a verb or a noun. Is this theory correct? For example the character 背 when pronounced bei1 means to carry on ones back. However when pronounced as bei4 the meaning is the actual back of an object.

The same can be applied to 教. A first tone is used to represent the verb “to teach” whereas a fourth tone reprensents a noun as in 教師,教官。

Am I correct in thinking that I have spotted a pattern here? The first tone is a verb, the fourth tone is a noun?

Thanks in advanced.

看, in both first and fourth tones (kan1, kan4), are verbs.
要 (yao1, yao4) are, too.

[quote=“Milkybar_Kid”]I understand that a po4yin1zi4 is a character that has 2 different readings. Does this extend to characters that have the same pronunciation however with a different tone?

For instance the character 背 can be pronounced as either bei1 or bei4. In addition the character 教 can be pronounced as either jiao1 or jiao4.

It seems to me that most of these characters use the tone to distinguish between a verb or a noun. Is this theory correct? For example the character 背 when pronounced bei1 means to carry on ones back. However when pronounced as bei4 the meaning is the actual back of an object.

The same can be applied to 教. A first tone is used to represent the verb “to teach” whereas a fourth tone reprensents a noun as in 教師,教官。

Am I correct in thinking that I have spotted a pattern here? The first tone is a verb, the fourth tone is a noun?

Thanks in advanced.[/quote]

Not sure if we can draw such generalization the way you said it. 4th tones are used as verb in may places:

以衣衣人 ----- yi3 yi1 yi4 ren2 ---- use clothes clothe others
以食食人 ----- yi3 shi2 shi4 ren2 — use food feed others.

背 – bei1 (to carry), bei4 (to recite or memorize)
教 — jiao1 (to teach), jiao4 (to guide, to provide a lesson)

So, I see more verbs with 4th tone, instead.

I guess I was barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for the replies.