A question for all the air conditioning experts

In my case I really needed the place.

I bought a 1 ton milling machine (and by 1 ton I don’t mean like AC units that produces a ton of ice per day/hour/whatever. I mean this machine LITERALLY weights one ton, as in 1000kg. So since I currently live upstairs and I naively thought a crane company can simply use a crane and somehow lift it through an open balcony. Turns out the machine is much too big for that and so the landlord is building this shed in the back of the building I live in, with a bathroom and bedroom, and would allow me to transfer my lease there. So I can still have my shop with the mill and stuff, and I will have access to 3 phase electricity (which is really important because my mill runs on 3 phase). The problem is it is an illegal addition and Taipower will NOT establish an account there, not to mention there’s a lot of administrative crap about this. Remember if you live in a rooftop apartment Taipower will under no circumstances give you an account for it, so it will be shared with another floor.

So I save a couple of thousand NT per month on rent, but my shop is now 1/2 the size of my current ones. There’s good and bad, good as in it would cost less to cool, bad as in I will have to me much more creative about tool and workbench placements to maximize the use of my space and can’t be wasting space like before. As far as comfort goes it will probably be more comfortable because since it’s in the back there will be a lot less traffic noise (I really do not understand why every single trucker who passes by at 3am must honk the horn at every intersection). Being in the back hopefully means cooling it will cost less money as well, as I did notice that the shed is noticeably cooler than the second floor.

So this is why I have to go with a shared electrical account, and to be honest with you I don’t really want to move because those 1 ton equipment (which I plan on getting probably 2 more other major machines that weights almost as much) limits my choices to pretty much first floor locations with access to 3 phase electricity.

If someone’s being wasteful however I think I can make an argument with the landlord saying the person being wasteful should be made to pay the higher portion of the electric bill. By the way anytime your electricity account is shared the LL will install a meter for all electricity that goes into your unit. This is to avoid disputes over who used what, unless the LL is going to just have everyone pay equal part of the bill as determined by rented area (meaning the larger your unit the more of the bills you pay). If YOUR meter is moving after you unplugged everything, then you tell your landlord someone’s stealing your power and you refuse to pay.

TBH I wouldn´t put anything that weights a ton in a balcony, or anything above a second floor. I already worry about my bookcase one day falling through to the first floor…

I do not question being wasteful about the electricity but heck if I trust landlords not to trick us into paying more!

Hopefully your business will catch on and you can move to your own place, a nice independent piezu townhouse perhaps?

I figure a 4 inch concrete floor should be able to support many tons because the brick walls they use in those taufans weight more than that.

Truthfully I want to eventually move into a proper industrial location with an overhead crane… it makes things a lot easier (for example repositioning heavy machines to make room). I’m not sure about a piezu townhouse.

I heard of people moving heavy 3000 pound machines into the basement where access to said basement is a small stairway. I do not know how they do it.

Well, I admire Taiwanese resilience and ingenuity. I´ve moved a mattress through the MRT and bookshelves on scooters.

fyi, if the building is fulfilling legal requirements, floors should be ok against the load up to 200kg/m^2, at least.

The MRT didn’t stop you when you tried to enter a station with a mattress? they are pretty noticeable. However I have seen these days mattresses packaged up in a vacuum bag, and rolled into a box, so perhaps that’s what it was…

Well, the place is pushing 60, I think codes were a bit different back then. Floors have a certain curvature…

That was like 20 years ago, and furriners used to move via MRT.

It depends if the floor is actually concrete or one of those quasi legal additions. A lot of shed like building (factories and stuff) where people would frame up those steel beams used for those sheet metal houses as floor beams. I sometimes wonder if they can support even a normal (not water) bed.

Concrete floor should be able to support many tons.

Also, 20 years ago the MRT was stricter about rules if anything. The MRT was new back then and everyone wanted to keep it pristine.

Did you mean 別墅? If so, you need some serious pinyin conversion therapy. :hushed:

I do feel less people used it bak then. Now they have more regulations and are a bit more cautious about what you bring in. You simply cannot move large loads without being an inconvenience to others.

I remember the good ol days where the MRT was empty up to Jinmei, back when it was newly opened…

And to be honest, for the record, the MRT still looks as clean and almost new as before.