A Quick Way to Change File Extensions in XP?

Is there one? If there is, I don’t know it. I always do it by opening a command line, switching to the folder and renaming it there.

If a file is “auto-opened” by a program, the extension won’t show.

Thanks

[quote=“miltownkid”]Is there one? If there is, I don’t know it. I always do it by opening a command line, switching to the folder and renaming it there.

Thanks[/quote]

MK, open file/windows explorer, tools, then folder options. From the tabs, select File Types, then select the type you want to change and make the necessary changes.

If you want known file types to show, then again, file/windows explorer, tool then folder options, select the view tab and then deselect the “hide known file types” option.

Did the trick. Thanks!

[quote=“Traveller”][quote=“miltownkid”]Is there one? If there is, I don’t know it. I always do it by opening a command line, switching to the folder and renaming it there.

Thanks[/quote]

MK, open file/windows explorer, tools, then folder options. From the tabs, select File Types, then select the type you want to change and make the necessary changes.

If you want known file types to show, then again, file/windows explorer, tool then folder options, select the view tab and then deselect the “hide known file types” option.[/quote]
I’ve never known why the default in Windows is not to show the extensions. Extensions are important.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Traveller”][quote=“miltownkid”]Is there one? If there is, I don’t know it. I always do it by opening a command line, switching to the folder and renaming it there.

Thanks[/quote]

If you want known file types to show, then again, file/windows explorer, tool then folder options, select the view tab and then deselect the “hide known file types” option.[/quote]
I’ve never known why the default in Windows is not to show the extensions. Extensions are important.[/quote]

After sitting on a machine with a new Windows account, that is the first thing I change after disabeling the Hubba Bubba window decorations to classic.

They are important but not so much for the user, more for the operating system and applications.
Normally there is no need to see or even change them, though personally I prefer to see them, too.

It’s also useful for security to turn off extension hiding as it makes it harder to fool you into thinking an executable is a jpg or some other ‘safe’ file type.