A quiet place in nature not too far away?

Hi everyone. After 5 months straight in Taipei city having only left a few times for short trips, I really need some nature in my life. I’m a city person but I just need a few hours completely alone in nature where it is completely quiet…In other words no distant sounds of motor bikes and buses. Every park I go to in the city has tons of people and the distant sounds of city. I just really want to get away.

Where is a at least somewhat convenient place to go to that isn’t too far away? I’d ask my local friends but they’d probably just laugh and say they have no idea lol. Thanks for the help!!

Yangming Shan. You can get a bus (R6??) from Beitou. The only thing spoiling the scenery are “farmers” setting fire to everything in sight, although they seem to have run out of stuff to burn at the moment.

Where are you?

Liuzhangli area.

There is an eco-park a 10 minute walk from Linguang MRT station. Its called Fuzhoushan park and its the mountain behind the McDonalds.

Maokong area I’d say! Hop on train to zoo and catch the gondola, start walking

The Mangroves trails near the Mangroves MRT station is pretty nice.

That’d be Hongshulin MRT.

The eco-park, Fuyang, is closed for renovation at the moment, though it’s fairly easy to hop the fence. The “mountain” behind it, Fuzhou Shan, is still open, but pretty busy most of the time, except for some back trails.

I’m up there twice a day, every day, with my dogs – send me a PM if you’d like to come for a walk.

I like the mountain just next to Yongning MRT (south end of the blue Line). Chengtien Mountain. Look at the MRT map at the exit and you will see the way. Exit at Exit 2 and go right past the parking area and the Taiwan Textile Testing Building. Then past 7-11 and follow the hiking crowd around a couple of side streets. You will come to a trail with boardwalks and well marked. Just follow everybody else. Most just go up to the temple in their “mountain climbing gear” and hike back down. If you are walking, it is about 3 k to Chengtien Temple with some nice food stands and occasionally a wild monkey in the trees. Absolutely no traffic noise. If on scooter, keep going up the main road without the turnoff at the temple and there are soooo many places to sit and have a quiet moment. My bud and I go there occasionally with a six pack and just sit and chat. Wonderful view and NO! sounds except those of nature and an infrequent hiker. We have even taken a taxi from Yongning with a bottle of . . . . some good stuff and made arrangements to pick us up in an hour or two. Never failed. Just get his/her cell number. One I use is 0939 512 879. She is very reliable and will always be there on time to pick you up. Just call her from Yongning MRT and she will take you up the mountain. Stop at one of the places with pull off seating, relax and enjoy the view and the sounds of silence. Know that she will be there on the appointed time. (She lives near and is a regular at the MRT, thus used to this stuff.)

To get away from sounds Maokong is great. Or Wulai. Head to Wulai and turn right at 11.5 km. head down road and cross big bridge. Follow road up to second bridge and look for trail entrance to left (stairs at first). Trail immerses you in nature for hours. Called Red River Valley Trail.

Yeah, it’s nice out there, but a right pain to get to (I suppose that’s why it’s quiet).

Personally I’d go for maokong. Much more straightforward and the the gondola is like a fairground ride, with the extra thill of knowing that it’s maintained by people who don’t know how it works :wink:. Get off at the intermediate stops for actual peace and quiet - save the final stop for when you’re hungry.

The final gondola stop takes you to an excellent trail system. You just head up past the temple to the ridge. If you go straight down you enter a small stream valley. Hardly anyone goes there. Left you follow the ridge to Ergeshan. Also quiet and lush.

That’d be [color=#FF0000]Hongshulin MRT[/color].[/quote]
And, unfortunately it’s noisy as hell!

I recommend 大屯自然公園. Go here during the week, not the weekend. There are many trails you can hike where you will only hear the wind in the trees and the birds in the sky. It’s awesome!

GPS coordinates: 25°11’13.16"N 121°31’21.98"E

[quote=“Jialin”]Hi everyone. After 5 months straight in Taipei city having only left a few times for short trips, I really need some nature in my life. I’m a city person but I just need a few hours completely alone in nature where it is completely quiet…In other words no distant sounds of motor bikes and buses. Every park I go to in the city has tons of people and the distant sounds of city. I just really want to get away.

Where is a at least somewhat convenient place to go to that isn’t too far away? I’d ask my local friends but they’d probably just laugh and say they have no idea lol. Thanks for the help!![/quote]

The places below aren’t always completely quiet, but can be. Not really all nature, but close to the city.

1. A walk or bicycle ride on the levee near the incinerator where the Tanshui River and Keelung river meet. Not as bad as it sounds. I start at Taipei Bridge and ride north on the bike path along the tanshui river on the Taipei side of the river.

2. Nightime on the bike path along the Tanshui River, at the base of the Guandu bridge, on the Bali side of the river. Of course near the bridge it’s noisy, but walk away, and it gets very quiet. I’ve taken many evening walks along this bike path. Not bad. However, in the daytime during weekends it’s swarming with weekend warrior bikers. Not pleasant. But on weekday nights, ahhhhhh! You can hear the fish jumping in the river. Best time is 9pm to midnight, preferably with an incoming tide. The fish get really active. They feed on all the little critters that come out from hiding.

3. Take a bus to the archaeology museum in Bali. Rent a bicycle and ride south along the Straight of Taiwan. During weekdays, you will be the only person on the bike path. If you do this on the weekend, do not ride towards Bali. You need to ride the other way, ride south along the coast. People will usually ride bikes towards Bali and all the shopping and food. There is no shopping and food heading south, so people will not ride their bikes in that direction.

Pinglin.

That area is indeed awesome. The Erziping area just over the ridge should be quiet enough!

For someone living in Liuzhangli I third the Maokong suggestion for convenience, if the area behind Linguang station is closed.

Are you travelling by public transport? Then you get on at Liuzhangli station and go to Taipei Zoo. Get off at Exit 2 and go to the gondola, then get off at the last stop. It’s great up there. Do check at the station that the gondola is running, though. They usually have announcements in English at MRT stations if it’s closed due to the weather. It’s always closed on Mondays.