A rap loving bureaucrat fired over love of Tupac?

He didn’t choose the thug life, the thug life chose him

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/17/742815262/fired-over-too-much-tupac-a-rap-loving-bureaucrat-from-iowa-says-he-hopes-not

He could at least get fired over quoting a better rapper

2pac is the best rapper of all time so idk what you’re talking about.

2 Likes

Rakim is the best mc of all time

Big
Mf doom
Kool g rap
Nas
Ghostface
Gza
Raekwon
Krs one
Mos def
Brownsville Ka
Jay z
Roc Marciano
Big daddy kane
Rakim
Slick rick
Lil fame
Redman
Big L
Pusha T
Buckshot
Busta rhymes
Q tip
Both de La soul mcs
Wise intelligent
Chuck D
Lord Finesse

All better. I wish I would have met him. His parents even more than him though.

I don’t think so. Pac is better than Rakim and the rest of the list. No disrespect to any of them, but some of them I wouldn’t even put in the same category as pac.

Top 5

2pac
Biggie
Jay z
Eminem (don’t like anything recent but his ability as a lyricist is probably the best I’ve heard)
Nas

Honorable mentions
J cole
Kendrick Lamar
The Game
Immortal technique

Dude, you forgot Vanilla Ice. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You’re 15 years younger than me I’m approximating from this list.

I have big respect for pac as a cultural icon. But more for his mom and dad. Never was a big fan of his actual rapping. Except I get around I cant name too many of his songs I still listen to.

Eric b and rakim paid in full is the old testament of rap. Illmatic is the new testament.

Kool g rap is the godfather of rap and authored so many of these guys styles. Check out 456 it’s one of the most underrated records ever

One bay area rapper named mac Dre never blew up commercially bc of legal issues but he was a genius and hes a bay area legend.

J Cole is boring. None of the new rappers get me that excited. Kendricks albums have moments but his flow can get hard to listen to at times.

Oh and run dmc of course

Not due to legal issues. His best music was released after he got out of jail. He didn’t blow up cause he got shot and died.

1 Like

Really? I find pacs words on another level. Hail Mary, Amerikas most wanted, changes, only god can judge me. A lot of his songs are great.

I don’t like 99% percent of new rappers. But J cole is the only one besides Kendrick I like. No role modelz is one of my favorites if you haven’t listened, check it out. He has a lot of mix tapes that are imo better than his album tracks. The simba trilogy is great. And 3 wishes is another that gets me.

Kendrick can be hard to listen to, but when he is on point. Wow.

What was the record store on Powell st with his mural on it?

If your reason for putting Eminem on is his ability as a lyricist, I’m not sure how you have Pac on this list as well. Pac wrote great music, but he never had the wordplay of the other rappers on your list.

Personally I would replace Em with outkast or wutang

1 Like

Rasputin, right?

1 Like

I think the beats have a lot to do with it. Prefer east coast stuff. Most of the rappers I know or read interviews from list him as one of their top 5.

Most old school cranks like me hate mumble rap but mixed feelings. Beats now are sick (deep 808 crisp well compressed) but the lyrics are so god awful.

Mannie fresh anticipated rap now by 20 years he was a true genius.

Here’s a question; name a music producer of ANY genre now that anyone will care about it 50 years?

Pharrell is the only one I can think of off the bat

That sounds right

Andre big boi goodie mob organized noise classic

Word. Big Boi is underrated. He’s a great rapper.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’d be in my top 5, but UGK should be mentioned. Put Houston on the map, way ahead of their time.

Going slightly off topic now. Hip hop artists who maybe aren’t in the “all time greatest” category, but who I love:

Gang Starr
Juvenile

Preemo is arguably the best rap producer or all time.

Easy there … Houston was on the map already

https://youtu.be/KutXyPEEbQs

1 Like