A Relatively Closer Look: Hitler

Direct or indirect references to Hitler or the Nazis in your political arguments means you are an idiot, end of story. Your credibility = zero.

A Relatively Closer Look: Hitler (Jon Stewart)

That this need even be said is testament to the depths to which political discourse has sunk.

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]Direct or indirect references to Hitler or the Nazis in your political arguments means you are an idiot, end of story. Your credibility = zero.

A Relatively Closer Look: Hitler (Jon Stewart)

That this need even be said is testament to the depths to which political discourse has sunk.[/quote]

Here, here! :bravo:

I have heard this called “The Godwin Law of message boards” which states that the moment someone brings up Hitler or the Nazis to make a point they automatically lose the argument.

Sorry, I posted the above before the video had finished loading. I think my point stands, whether it be on a message board or in the House.

My opinion is that the way people seem to be using Hitler these days shows that they have very little understanding of what that man did in his life, and how he went about it,how he absolutely disregarded the wants, desires and beliefs of others to impose his twisted beliefs on all.

Whenever I see the naked Iraqi pyramid I think back to a picture of truckloads of naked dead Jews being dumped and buried. There is no connection whatsoever IMHO, except that they were nude.

And to compare Koran abuse, that may or may not have happened) to the extermination of civil liberties for Jews and the exterimantion of the Jews themselves…is asinine, not to mention disgusting.

“Hitler” has become a cliche for “politically incorrect”, just as “Satan” has become a cliche for “evil”.

They just don’t make Nazis like they used to.

They certainly do not.

Yeah, stuff like that is closer to Mussolini or Franco than Hitler or Stalin. There are degrees of evil. The first couple of guys were just ordinary thugs, the latter pair were freaking psychopaths. So, I propose that the next time somebody says or does something you think is fascist, you should compare them to Mussolini. Not Hitler. Hitler wasn’t a Fascist, he was a Nazi. Big difference. It’s like comparing Pinochet, who only killed 3,000 people, to Pol Pot, who killed almost 3 million. If you want to be accurate, saying that Bush is like Mussolini or Pinochet is a lot closer to reality than comparing him to Hitler, which is way over the top. You can’t go around calling every tinpot dictator like Castro or Peron or Mugabe to Hitler, because there’s no comparison.

That post was sort of tongue in cheek if anyone gets the wrong idea.

Comparing Bush to Hitler would definitely be a stretch, but I think one could easily compare Karl Rove to Hermann Goering, Hitler’s Reich Marshall. Indeed, I believe that Rove himself must have intensively studied Goering and adopted his tactics - there are just too many coincidences. One relevant quote from Goering:

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.

• DB

So Karl Rove is Goering now, not Goebbels… :s

I’m actually a little surprised to find this kind of thing coming from you, DB. Oh well – if that’s how you see things, then that’s how you see things.

This is, of course, something that has been discussed recently in [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/swift-boat-veterans-for-truth-will-they-get-away-with-it/14755/45 thread[/url], and changing the comparison from one high-level Holocaust architect to another doesn’t change my opinion on the subject. I still feel that comparing someone who holds different political views to one of Hitler’s henchmen is, at the very least, an insult to the Holocaust victims, and shows a remarkably flippant attitude toward what what true evil really looks like. :idunno:

As I said in the other thread:

[quote=“in the other thread, Hobbes”]If … you genuinely believe that Karl Rove is an evil man (6 million human beings systematically murdered in concentration camps level evil

So Karl Rove is Goering now, not Goebbels… :s

I’m actually a little surprised to find this kind of thing coming from you, DB. Oh well – if that’s how you see things, then that’s how you see things.

This is, of course, something that has been discussed recently in [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/swift-boat-veterans-for-truth-will-they-get-away-with-it/14755/45 thread[/url], and changing the comparison from one high-level Holocaust architect to another doesn’t change my opinion on the subject. I still feel that comparing someone who holds different political views to one of Hitler’s henchmen is, at the very least, an insult to the Holocaust victims, and shows a remarkably flippant attitude toward what what true evil really looks like. :idunno:

As I said in the other thread:

[quote=“in the other thread, Hobbes”]If … you genuinely believe that Karl Rove is an evil man (6 million human beings systematically murdered in concentration camps level evil

Am I the only one who finds the idea of considering The Daily Show representative in any way of actual political discourse idiotic and hilarious in equal measure? I mean for the love of God, if you’re using Comedy Central as a source for political analysis and debate, you’ve got some serious problems.

Taking The Daily Show seriously is possbily a bigger credibility killer than even referencing Hitler.

Yes, but as you can see in this picture, Bush looks like Hitler…

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Am I the only one who finds the idea of considering The Daily Show representative in any way of actual political discourse idiotic and hilarious in equal measure? I mean for the love of God, if you’re using Comedy Central as a source for political analysis and debate, you’ve got some serious problems.

Taking The Daily Show seriously is possbily a bigger credibility killer than even referencing Hitler.[/quote]

I felt this way looong before the Daily Show pitched in. What is idiotic IMHO is that “real” news agencies do not point out how absolutely disgusting and insulting these comparisons to Hitler and Natzism are, to all of us.

[quote=“Shenme Niao”]Yes, but as you can see in this picture, Bush looks like Hitler…

[/quote]

This is just idiotic.

Or, are you attempting to be funny?

Comparisons to Hitler are so lazy. There are hundreds of other ruthless dictators to compare people to. I wish instead of Hitler, people would say stuff like, “That is a classic Batista tactic,” or “Bush cannabilizes Iraqis like Idi Amin”. Heck, Taiwan doesn’t have to look very far beyond its backyard for Old Peanuthead and Mao.

thedictatorship.com

Educational and fun, especially the Original Dictators Contest. “16 of the last century’s most fearsome autocrats have been selected and pitted randomly against one another to compete for the title Dictator of Dictators.”

Anything can be a source of political analysis and debate. The key is…what are they saying? Jon Stewart is making fun of partisan nutbars who reference Hitler or the Nazis to disparage their opponents. Not much of a stretch, really.

Or maybe you don’t think the Daily Show’s skewering of Hitler-referencing dweebs is right on the money?

Erm…that seems to answer my question, somewhat. Yikes.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Am I the only one who finds the idea of considering The Daily Show representative in any way of actual political discourse idiotic and hilarious in equal measure? I mean for the love of God, if you’re using Comedy Central as a source for political analysis and debate, you’ve got some serious problems.

Taking The Daily Show seriously is possbily a bigger credibility killer than even referencing Hitler.[/quote]

I must beg to differ. Aside from the inane humour (well, duh, this is entertainment, not real news) I think Jon Stewart’s comments, at times, can be incisive and poignant. Most of all he comments on things no one else on the “real” media would dare to speak of (like a politician’s inconsistencies and backpedaling). I think the fact that we have to go to Comedy Central to find this kind of information is the real serious problem facing news media today.

Quentin, I would have to agree with your comments. Comparisons to Hitler are lazy. We tend to compare all evils against the “absolute evil standard” of Hitler. But is this because Hitler is so relatively fresh in our social memory? Not to downplay his evilerosity, but there have been some serious inhumane stuff going on elsewhere and elsewhen (? my :slight_smile: )

My wife has been watching the Geman made movie about Hitler. My Chinese is not good enough to follow the subtitles and the movie is filmed in German.

She said the film is goo though.