A response to theCanadian Society article in the China Post:

Attention: Nelson W. Hu (Primetime Editor)

First of all, let me say thank you to The China Post for being the only English newspaper that day to acknowledge our Canada Day with a well written story in last Friday’s Primetime section. However (grateful I may be), in doing so, I believe you’ve inadvertently opened a can of worms for a silent majority. So lets go fishing, eh?

First of all let me state that I have lived here in Taiwan happily for the past 11 years. In fact, it was 10 years ago last month that I married a wonderful Chinese lady, and currently we have too wonderful children that attend an international school here in Taiwan. (真的很感謝你們臺灣人的社會). I really think you have a wonderful society here. I wish I could say the same about another society.

June 30th’s article quotes one of the Canadian musicians involved with the music bash: [color=red]"…Cook adds, ‘The only misconception I hear about Canada is that it’s a rich country, when really, almost everyone I know there is broke.’.[/color]…". I think there are 100’s (1000’s ?) of us Canadians here in Taipei alone that could have made that statement; especially if you grew up in a blue-collar neighbourhood. So, I thought it rather ironic that the C.S.'s application form still haughtily questions us, our “position”, (i.e. no! not, not at work!).

The article also gives us some insight into the overall productiveness of the C.S. over the years: [color=red]"…From a handful of founders upon its inception in the early 1980s, the society now claims 70-some dues-paying members.". [/color]Well, since numbers speak for themselves, lets take a closer look at where the truth lies. Now, lets be generous here and say 80 members and 20 years in existence. That works out to about 1 new member every time the season changes.

Well, I humbly suggest that the change that should be welcomed, is a change in one('s) “position”. For, I argue, this seems to have created a lingering affected air of depthless amity. I just hope that the highly instructed folks at the C.S. can comprehend my barbaric inklings of disposition.

Please sign me 三八弟, concerned.

oop.s. I think I forgot to call them snobs!

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

Because we care…

Goddam right!

Uh, what did you just say? :laughing:

Think it needs a review, Metro, I’m not the sharpest knife in the draw to be sure, but I’m not at all clear what your beef is.

HG

They didn’t even mention the Muddy Basin Rambles. Best act all night.
I even got a nice maple leaf pin, just for showing up.
How could anyone compare Taiwan to Canada?
Great beer, clean air, polite and well mannered people…but no lee chyr’s

WTF? I got bugger-all. OK. I got beer. Lots of beer.

You got beer! They didn’t tell me I had choice.
Seriously,
They music and people were fantastic and no entrance fee. Well worth the trip.
The 4th of July bash at the American Club was a different story.

It was probably just Canadian beer, although it would have been really funny if it was Budweiser.

HG

I mean, even Taiwan has its own country-code!

I mean, even the Americans get to have their own July 4th party; whereas, we are invited to (the C.S.'s regular watering hole) celebrate Canada Day & American Day on July 1st at Cosmo.

With this said, I humbly submit that I do NOT think Canada is a Country…
I think Canada is the country(!)…that is being misrepresented here in Taiwan.

Glad to hear that those who went, had fun. July 1st is always going to be a great day to party…i.e. anywhere you’ve got a bunch of us Canadians…well, and some beer/cool music. However, if you’re a Canadian that’s been around a few years, I think you know what I’m talking about.

三八弟, scorned!

p.s. Sorry, if I haven’t made myself clear: I think it extremely pretentious of them to ask us our postion of work. Futhermore, I’ve been to several of their events over the years and I think that they are some of the snobbiest/coldest people that I have ever meet!

metrosexual wrote [quote]I mean, even Taiwan has its own country-code!

I mean, even the Americans get to have their own July 4th party; whereas, we are invited to (the C.S.'s regular watering hole) celebrate Canada Day & American Day on July 1st at Cosmo.

Glad to hear that those who went, had fun. July 1st is always going to be a great day to party…i.e. anywhere you’ve got a bunch of us Canadians…well, and some beer/cool music. However, if you’re a Canadian that’s been around a few years, I think you know what I’m talking about.

三八弟, scorned!

p.s. Sorry, if I haven’t made myself clear: I think it extremely pretentious of them to ask us our postion of work. Futhermore, I’ve been to several of their events over the years and I think that they are some of the snobbiest/coldest people that I have ever meet![/quote]

Metrosexual,
I don’t understand your posts. What is your point?

[quote=“Eric W. Lier”]How could anyone compare Taiwan to Canada?
Great beer, clean air, polite and well mannered people…but no lee chyr’s[/quote]

Yep Taiwan does have that great beer, clean air, and poolite and mannered peoples… :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“almas john”]metrosexual wrote [quote]I mean, even Taiwan has its own country-code!

三八弟, scorned!

p.s. Sorry, if I haven’t made myself clear: I think it extremely pretentious of them to ask us our postion of work. Futhermore, I’ve been to several of their events over the years and I think that they are some of the snobbiest/coldest people that I have ever meet![/quote]

Metrosexual,
I don’t understand your posts. What is your point?[/quote]

I went to one or two of their events. I found the Forumosa-related people to be friendly enough, but some of the board members were quite snobby IMHO. That guy that works for the television consortium, for example. What an arrogant Quebecois!!!

Perhaps some people should get together and form the “Western Canada Society” in Taiwan :bravo:

Uhh… guess again. I have no idea.

I can’t imagine hanging out with other compatriots on July 1st. Three’s A Crowd, And Four’s A Mob with most of those blighters…
But as a social event, surely a gathering like this in a distant foreign lands is a good thing for the business types. :cookie:

And of course, If they were serving some fine chilled home brew( :star: like Big Rock, Keith’s or Maudite), then all must have been fine. :canada:

You mean there are other Canadians here? I thought I was the only one…

Don’t look at me. I just went for the free Canadian pin :canada:
because somebody drank all the free Canadian beer!

At least where I live it is like that.

[quote]
Metrosexual,
I don’t understand your posts. What is your point?

I went to one or two of their events. I found the Forumosa-related people to be friendly enough, but some of the board members were quite snobby IMHO. That guy that works for the television consortium, for example. What
an arrogant Quebecois
!!!

Perhaps
some people should get together
and form the “Western Canada Society” in Taiwan :bravo:[/quote]

When it comes to understanding how sardonic (grimly [color=black]joc[/color]ular), t[color=black]he[/color]y are, I think you got the point…However, I think we need to be united, not futher divided…Besides, what kind of newfie would I be to start a “Western Canada Society”?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]
I went to one or two of their events. I found the Forumosa-related people to be friendly enough, but some of the board members were quite snobby IMHO. That guy that works for the television consortium, for example. What an arrogant Quebecois!!!

Perhaps some people should get together and form the “Western Canada Society” in Taiwan :bravo:[/quote]

Here. Here.

But can I invite my Quebecois friend Michael in?

I’m not Canadian, but I know at least two of the board members including the one you have referred to be as being ‘snobby’. Neither of them are in the least bit snobby and both of them worked very hard to put on great parties both this year and last. This year’s Canada was a great evening of free music outside in Daan Park. What a nice event. I can’t believe anyone would be whining about this.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.

[quote=“Feiren”]I’m not Canadian, but I know at least two of the board members including the one you have referred to be as being ‘snobby’. Neither of them are in the least bit snobby and both of them worked very hard to put on great parties both this year and last. This year’s Canada was a great evening of free music outside in Da’an Park. What a nice event. I can’t believe anyone would be whining about this.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.[/quote]

Hey, you should really improve your reading comprehension skills–you are a moderator after all. I didn’t mention the Canada Day celebrations at all ( I just mentioned “in the past”. So please tell me how I am whining about this specific event?)

The OP mentioned he thought some Society members were arrogant. I mentioned that the members I know through Forumosa seem to be a friendly lot, but a person that I met at a past event seemed to be quite arrogant and unapproachable in conversation. As an Albertan, regardless of our backgrounds (I can assure you I have a better educational pedigree than the person we are talking about) , we are usually turned off by this aloofness and usually won’t stand for it at dinner parties.