A simple health rule that everybody can follow

here it is. thru all the calorie counting, etc etc, there’s one thing i’ve found to be true. this came from another website and i agree with it wholeheartedly:

DON’T EAT JUNK.

simple. if you want to be healthy, don’t eat junk. learn to recognize what is good food and what is junk and you’re halfway there.

i realized the value of this last night. i got a little hungry around 9. that’s unusual for me. choices: coke, chocolate bar, milk tea… no. i chose a nice round piece of FOCACCIA!!
oh that’s carbos at night, blah blah. don’t go there.
this stuff is intangiable and uncountable. DON’T EAT JUNK.

Hear hear! For all that shit about diets and all that, it’s kind of disappointing that so many people don’t realise the way to get fit and be healthy is don’t eat shitty food and do some goddamned exercise!

Me, I know that all too well. I just don’t do it. :laughing:

There was something on Yahoo within the last few weeks about how scientists have found the mechanism, or one of the mechanisms, behind weight gain due to lack of sleep. Seems that when you’re sleep-deprived, the body signals demand for more carbohydrates. Which results in more weight gain.

What’s junk food? Mostly carbs heavily laced with fat.

Surprised the crap out of me – I had dinner with several well-respected physicians a few weeks ago, and they were aghast that I didn’t regard carbs as Satanic byproducts. Dinner was mostly fish, including some sashimi (no rice, so not sushi).

Yeah, maybe the anti-carbohydrate movement goes overboard with the “low carb donuts” stuff, but the evidence (scientific as well as anecdotal) does seem to be growing that Atkins was right.

i think so. look at people in the US. their diet is loaded with carbs. and they all have the big belly by 30 (well a lot of people do). but i wonder if this is not junk carbs rather than good carbs you get from the old world breads oils etc. i have real butter on my bread as a rule! i don’t touch margarine. sliced processed cheese? no way! a real hunk of parmesan regiano. i shave it off the hunk. fat? good stuff. along with a glass of yellow tail red to wash it down.

I couldn’t find the an article about him (I looked), but I remember reading about this fat guy that ran marathons. It also talked about the fat gene and things. I know eating right and exercise will cure fatness for most people, but there are some that seem to be more prone to fatness than others.

(Is fat a bad would, should I be saying overweight or something?)

milt,
that’s a good point. look at it this way: a lot of diets may be more harmful than good. my grandpa lived to 83 and had cigarettes and budweiser for breakfast every morning!!! those old guys, you never saw chips, candy bars, and other stuff in their hands. i think this is a clue. great grandma lived to be 103!!! they didn’t have perfect bodies, but they lived to bounce a lot of grandkids!!
ran the man

my rule is ‘everything in moderation’

Thousands upon thousands of books, millions upon millions of words have been written on how to lose weight. I can sum it all up with two simple rules:

1. Exercise
  2. Eat your veggies

Including moderation?

Especially moderation.

Chinese people eat rice like other peoples drink water, and yet by and large they aren’t fat. I think the FDA still recommends 60% of our diet be composed of carbohydrates, and the benefits of carbohydrates are numerous. For one thing they are the main source of blood glucose, which give energy to our body, brain, and red blood cells. Carbs don’t just come from bread and rice you know…veggies are a rich source of complex carbs. If any diet tells you not to eat veggies…that’s a big red flag.

MaPoSquid, there are also plenty of MDs who are opposed to the Atkins cult, and I’d like to see some “scientific evidence” that pure-meat diets or almost pure-meat diets are good for the digestive tract. Complex carbs especially provide lots of “roughage” or “poundage”, helping to clean our digestive system (as in, plenty isn’t digested, especially fibers which move through and clear our digestive tract). I have known two people on the Atkins diet who complained about indigestion and constipation, and so got off it. I know that’s ancedotal, but it at least it’s some confirmation of the fears of MDs concerning the low-carb craze.

It’s all about balance. Too much of anything or too little of anything is just bad.

Atkins was right in the sense that if you’re eating carbs at night just before ya sleep, you’re gonna get fat. But if you read the fine print, that could also be attributed to just about anything.

40% is exercise and the other 60% is diet. You could work out everday but if you’re not eating properly, the expected results just won’t be there.

Yes that reminds me, I really need to boost my daily intake of mercury and arsenic; a swim in the Tanshui river should do it.

My sister went on one of those low carb diets, so she was able to explain some of it to me a bit better than the usual coverage of it. One of the things they teach you is the difference between how quickly your body can absorb and use different kinds of carbohydrates. The modern diet is full of highly processed grains and sugars that our body will absorb very quickly, much quicker that they can actually be used. They end up getting converted to fat for storage. Unfortunately our bodies are much slower at burning fat than putting it on. But anyways, part of these low carb diets is to avoid the highly processed carbs in favor of the less processed carbs that will be more slowly digested and used by your body. So coarse ground whole wheat mixed with whole grains instead of white bread from fine ground flour. 100% fruit juice instead of sodas or sugar-added juice. That sort of thing. That part of the low carb diet actually makes a lot of sense.

you know, i saw a report on diabetes. they said fruits instead of fruit juice. it said that the glygogen in fruit juice was higher than the fruit it came from. does anybody know why?

That’s what the docs been saying for years though. Whole wheat vs. regular white etc. I heard all this stuff way back when I was in the 3rd grade after my dad had a minor heart attack. Family went to a bunch of those hospital health seminars. Atkins just seems to concentrate only on the carbs when it’s really just a part of the picture.

Yes, but the Atkin’s diet as I understand it allows plenty of veggies, especially of the leafy green variety. Fruits with a low glycemic index are also okay after the induction period.

As for MDs, a few of the MDs and PhDs I work with do follow low-carb diets. I’ve tried a modified Atkin’s diet with some success, but the combination of a strong sweet tooth and weak willpower got the better of me. I was actually doing better with vegetables owhen I was on the diet than I am now that I’m off it.
[/quote]

I would bet it’s because there’s always sugar added to fruit juices. Check out the label on the side if you can.

Even at my favorite juice stand here in ShiDa. They blend up the watermelon with water and sugar.

I’m not sure why you are talking about glycogen, the form that animal cells store sugar in (see here for more info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen). Part of the problem with juice is that you get all the simple sugars with little of the more complex carbohydrates. Also, since it’s easier to drink than eat, you tend to consume more juice than you would fruit–think of how many oranges you go through making a cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice–and therefore more sugar.

And as someone else mentioned, fruits differ in their glycemic index and whole fruits tend to have a lower glycemic index than juices. See this site and others for more info on the glycemic index:http://www.brighamandwomens.org/healtheweightforwomen/special_topics/intelihealth1002.asp