A small victory

Carry on …

Oh my Gosh. Just read this, Dangermouse. I had a very similar experience a few months back when I was riding on the back of tash’s bicycle. A taxi driver tried to cut in front of us, but tash refused to let him. He stopped. She stopped. Both of them refused to move. After a ten minute standoff, it ended when the taxi driver finally moved, but in the process we ended up getting cussed out by the entire neighborhood. Although tash and I reveled in our victory, and retold this fab story to countless friends, a couple of months later tash discovered that we had been riding down a one-way road…and we were the ones riding the wrong way. Oops! Guess we truly deserved that tongue lashing. :blush:

Anyway DM, I should introduce you to this tash person. She’s just as headstrong as you. I’m sure you guys would hit it off. :slight_smile:

[quote]Although tash and I reveled in our victory, and retold this fab story to countless friends, a couple of months later tash discovered that we had been riding down a one-way rode…and we were the ones riding the wrong way. Oops! Guess we truly deserved that tongue lashing. [/quote] :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

[quote=“Erhu”]Oh my Gosh. Just read this, Dangermouse. I had a very similar experience a few months back when I was riding on the back of tash’s bicycle. A taxi driver tried to cut in front of us, but tash refused to let him. He stopped. She stopped. Both of them refused to move. After a ten minute standoff, it ended when the taxi driver finally moved, but in the process we ended up getting cussed out by the entire neighborhood. Although tash and I reveled in our victory, and retold this fab story to countless friends, a couple of months later tash discovered that we had been riding down a one-way rode…and we were the ones riding the wrong way. Oops! Guess we truly deserved that tongue lashing. :blush:

Anyway DM, I should introduce you to this tash person. She’s just as headstrong as you. I’m sure you guys would hit it off. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Do you think there is a taxi forum somewhere where this event is captured?

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

If only every "encounter’ was that well documented…

Well done DM… :wink:

Fair play for winning the stand off, you’re lucky he seems to have been a reasonable calm opponent by local standards though. How pissed off did he get with you taking photographs? Just as a matter of interest, are you allowed to turn left at that junction on a motorcycle? If not, did the cop or taxi driver mention it?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]I dunno. Hate to be the contrarian here, but Taiwan traffic requires a little social greese, even if it is a little leeway for a taxi pulling a fast one. It’s all about keeping everything moving.

HG[/quote]

I tend to agree with HG here. While it’s a nice little story and I really couldn’t care less about betelnut chewing taxi drivers you have to consider how things work in Taiwan.

The taxi driver was wrong, sure. But that doesn’t make your stopping him right. This little confrontation will not change that driver’s behavior in the future. The only thing you might have achieved is giving him a reason to dislike foreigners, but that’s it.

Dear Dangermouse,

I told tash about your “victory” and to my surprise, she said not only does she know you, but she also says that she told you about her taxi/bike incident months ago. She assured me that this is a clear a case of COPYCAT. She even posted our story on her blog back on Feb 23, 2006 in case anyone needs proof.

Dear TPFKAT,
I would love to respond to your post, but my people have advised me not to communicate with you.

he he Beavis. She said “tongue lashing.” He he.

Anyone who doesn’t think this is the most brilliant thing ever and/or the reason Forumosa exists smells of old canal water and farts and has really bad skidmarks.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

[quote=“llary”]Anyone who doesn’t think this is the most brilliant thing ever and/or the reason Forumosa exists smells of old canal water and farts and has really bad skidmarks.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:[/quote]

I agree llary; just remember this brilliant story rightfully belongs to tash and Erhu. We did it first. Dangermouse just copycatted. Let us not forget that.

Great thread! I had not read it because it is in the "Cars and whatever’ forum and Buttercup does not generally worry her head about operating machinery.

Love the photo story; they are just like the ones I used to read when I was a pre-teen… You should do more ‘scenes from Taipei’. :rainbow:

[quote=“Buttercup”]
Love the photo story; they are just like the ones I used to read when I was a pre-teen… You should do more ‘scenes from Taipei’. :rainbow:[/quote]

I’m glad you like it, Buttercup, but if you want the original “story” you’d better head over to tash’s blog. In fact, this entire thread should be renamed “A small victory, part 2”…and everybody knows the sequel is never quite as good as the original. Let’s give credit where credit is due here people. This screenplay was stolen from it’s rightful owners. A scandal is what it it!

Any comments Dangermouse?

That would be far cooler on a bicycle! Seems to me that Tash and Erhu are the real road anarchists here.

Yeah, it is legal to turn left there.
He wasn’t calm at first - he calmed down when I started taking pics because I threatened him with newspaper action and legal action if he tried anything.

Perhaps. The thing is I didn’t stop him at first - he leant out of the window and ordered me to move out of the way. I was legally in the scooter box. There was a car next to me to my right and I’m not backing up. Besides, even if the road was empty I wouldn’t have moved. I won’t be treated like a piece of shit by anyone, let alone a moron taxi driver.

And so what if he doesn’t like foreigners? That’s one taxi driver. I couldn’t care less.

I think it is also important to illustrate the other side of how things work in Taiwan - if you really put your foot down, the law can be on your side. Taiwanese people all too often let shit heads walk all over them and this is why it happens alot. If people started standing up for themselves, incidents like this would lessen.

Let’s vote Dangermouse in as traffic commissioner!

Who’ll second my motion?

[quote=“Herhu”]I’m glad you like it, Buttercup, but if you want the original “story” you’d better head over to tash’s blog. In fact, this entire thread should be renamed “A small victory, part 2”…and everybody knows the sequel is never quite as good as the original. Let’s give credit where credit is due here people. This screenplay was stolen from it’s rightful owners. A scandal is what it it!

Any comments Dangermouse?[/quote]

Well, you didn’t take out copyright on your story, so, unfortunately you lose. And what you say is just heresay - where is your pictorial evidence? Case closed.

Anyway, I was operating heavy machinery and following road rules. You, erm, were just two darlings on a bicycle acting illegally. I mean, have you seen how Tash rides a bicycle?

Did I say ride? I meant “stradles in an ungainly fashion.”

:smiley:

Dangermouse you have made my day. That is awsome.
I TOTALLY agree with your comments: “if you really put your foot down, the law can be on your side. Taiwanese people all too often let shit heads walk all over them and this is why it happens alot. If people started standing up for themselves, incidents like this would lessen.”

[quote=“Dangermouse”]Perhaps. The thing is I didn’t stop him at first - he leant out of the window and ordered me to move out of the way. I was legally in the scooter box. There was a car next to me to my right and I’m not backing up. Besides, even if the road was empty I wouldn’t have moved. I won’t be treated like a piece of shit by anyone, let alone a moron taxi driver.

And so what if he doesn’t like foreigners? That’s one taxi driver. I couldn’t care less.

I think it is also important to illustrate the other side of how things work in Taiwan - if you really put your foot down, the law can be on your side. Taiwanese people all too often let shit heads walk all over them and this is why it happens alot. If people started standing up for themselves, incidents like this would lessen.[/quote]

Good points.

Although, I am not sure about the last one. I think Taiwanese know how to stand up for themselves if needed, but are very pragmatic about it. In the situation you describe, most locals would probably think that confronting the taxi driver isn’t worth it.

Direct confrontation with strangers about principles is more of a Western concept, I think.

This thread is great! Hero motorcyclists, photojournalists, pretty ladies on bicycles, tongue-lashings and now straddling!
I need to go to the bathroom.