A sobering story about overstaying

Part 3 is up:

thewildeast.net/news/2011/06 … ry-part-3/

She seems to have a new editor - the English has changed. I wonder if she met Rainbou inside?

[quote=“tash”]As many posters have already expressed, it will be difficult for M to get a lot of sympathy for her story because of her weak admission of guilt and her arguing with what should be the appropriate punishment. It’s just immature.

It’s unfortunate, though. Her depiction of life inside could have been a good start to a valuable discussion on what could be improved in the system, bring some attention to the issue, etc.
But this way the attention is drawn to her character and the rest is lost.[/quote]
I agree. Part 3 brings up some problems with the system that should be addressed. But it seems to me that she drowns those out with her complaints about her own situation.

since when has Valentines Day been considered a holiday?

[quote=“cranky laowai”][quote=“tash”]As many posters have already expressed, it will be difficult for M to get a lot of sympathy for her story because of her weak admission of guilt and her arguing with what should be the appropriate punishment. It’s just immature.

It’s unfortunate, though. Her depiction of life inside could have been a good start to a valuable discussion on what could be improved in the system, bring some attention to the issue, etc.
But this way the attention is drawn to her character and the rest is lost.[/quote]
I agree. Part 3 brings up some problems with the system that should be addressed. But it seems to me that she drowns those out with her complaints about her own situation.[/quote]

Yep. Reads like a classic “I’m a VICTIM!” story. Jail is certainly a tough thing to take, but there’s no sense of responsibility evident anywhere. A miserable way to go through life.

I HATE this! It’s just NOT FAIR! I’M SPECIAL!
See how it works? Three interminable episodes of “oh boo hoo” when nine words would have done the trick nicely. :unamused:

It is only two months inside. Why can’t people suck it up when they get caught with their hands in the cookie jar? Actually, I think that most people probably do but we just don’t hear from them.

An essay describing what life is like in a detention center in Taiwan has value. It’s not an experience I’ve had, and I’m interested in what it’s like. The problem is really her attitude to it - of course she doesn’t like it, but she is criticizing Taiwan for putting her there, when it is her fault. Had she written it without the ‘poor me, I am being treated unfairly’ attitude, the article could have been a good one.

I like this quote from the writer in the comments:
“I made a mistake…lots of people in Asia made mistakes.We fail to be perfect sometimes ,you don’t have to gloat and feel happy if somebody’s misery(and believe me ,overstaying is not fun)and stress are increased and punished harder.How about a little humanity and giving a person a benefit of a doubt?”

Apparently she seems to be European (not that that has anything to do with anything):
" I was the only European,I mean English speaking person."

As for me (Kage) -I have a permanent residence and live a very clean life, but I know if things go wrong, I will go down in this legal system simply because I am a foreigner. I dread the way other foreigners pounce when someone is in trouble. It can be pretty disturbing. Almost like everyone is so afraid that they hide it by condemning those who are having troubles.

(I am not saying that I agree with a lot of the crap people do and get nailed for, though.)

There is a big red flag in my head because I don’t recall ever reading any part of the immigration law that specifies imprisonment for an overstay. Was the time because she couldn’t/wouldn’t pay the fine or something else? I think most of us have been here long enough to know that there’s something missing from the picture.

I think that the assumption is the detention was for non-payment of fines. Straydog said that he knows who the woman in question is, so you could PM him if you’re interested.

Whatever is not written publicly is really none of my business. I was curious because the only other person I knew who got jail time for a visa overstay got burned by his own arrogance. He chose to overstay and assumed that he could avoid paying the fines by claiming that he had no money. He could have borrowed from family to pay the fine but essentially gave Taiwan the finger and then got a shock when they gave it back to him by locking him up.

I know nothing about the woman in this story and have no judgment to pass, just curious about whether jail time is always strictly applied for non payment or if they are lenient if there is some genuine hardship/remorse.