A step in the right direction?

I just read an article (in Chinese) on yahoo.com.tw that Wudu wants to increase its parking fees in order to curtail vehicle ownership. The idea is develop public transportation yet reduce the number of vehicles on the road to become more green.

I for one would love to see Taiwan (especially Taipei) without so many vehicles, but I wonder if this is a step in the right direction?

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]I just read an article (in Chinese) on yahoo.com.tw that Wudu wants to increase its parking fees in order to curtail vehicle ownership. The idea is develop public transportation yet reduce the number of vehicles on the road to become more green.

I for one would love to see Taiwan (especially Taipei) without so many vehicles, but I wonder if this is a step in the right direction?[/quote]

right, the pay for parking lots will be empty and the streets will be full. kinda like now but worse.

[quote=“justreal”][quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]I just read an article (in Chinese) on yahoo.com.tw that Wudu wants to increase its parking fees in order to curtail vehicle ownership. The idea is develop public transportation yet reduce the number of vehicles on the road to become more green.

I for one would love to see Taiwan (especially Taipei) without so many vehicles, but I wonder if this is a step in the right direction?[/quote]

right, the pay for parking lots will be empty and the streets will be full. kinda like now but worse.[/quote]

But when it gets bad enough (like in London, for example) people stop driving. London is OK to drive in, as big cities go, but you can’t stop hardly anywhere without paying.

It is an erosion of a freedom though. Not necessarily a right, but definately a freedom, plus (if applied against 2-wheelers as well) it assumes a good, cheap public transport system exists. I don’t know this Wudu of which the OP speaks, but there’s bugger-all in Tainan, and if there was anything it’d likely be a lot more expensive than scooting.

It would work. It already worked with me when I moved to Bitan. Road parking is just not possible and the parking lots are too expensive (and rose by a third just after I moved here). I gave up my car in the spring.