A story like this is not suprising to me

Racist Sentiments abound in Taiwan

The advent of globalization and the proliferation of the internet is now enabling citizens of the world to travel freely and unhibited to many countries once deemed too far away for the average working class citizen. One of the countries in Asia that welcomes citizens from the rest of the world is Taiwan, in its bid to become one of the competitors in Asias fast growing economy.

Taiwan, which many consider as part of the People’s Republic of China spends millions of dollars annually on human resource development, enhancing its IT infrastructure and on education. While it has made significant progress in these areas, its democracy continues to be challenged by a plethora of corruption scandals involving high-level Government Beuraeucrats and legislators.

Part of Taiwan’s national vision is to ensure that its young population is equipped with all of the necessary tools to communicate effectively with the rest of the world, by placing a high reliance on education, and in particular english learning. Citizens are encouraged at great lengths to have a high proficency in english in order that a major barrier is removed when interacting with the rest of the world.

Every year, hundreds of ESL teachers are recruited from North America, South Africa, England and other English speaking nations of the world by private schools in Taiwan to work under very favorable conditions in order to improve the english language ability of students of english. The renumeration packages are very generous and teachers have anything but praise for their ability to save money and have a fair amount of disposable income which in many cases would have been challenging in their own countries to do because of the high threshold of taxation and cost of living.

The average salary of an english teacher in Taiwan can run anywhere from US$2,000-3,000 per month and because of the high demand by Taiwanese citizens, many teachers are able to make much more by doing private tutoring on weekends and public holidays.

Taiwan boasts of having one of the friendliest, warmest, most hospitable populations in all of Asia and most of their marketing campaigns focus on projecting taiwan as having everything beautiful, including some of the most beautiful girls in this part of the world.

One can only imagine the suprise then, of two black american teachers who came to Taiwan in search of english teaching jobs only to be told that despite the fact that they are holders of American passports, their color would prevent them from being gainfully employed at that school, one of many schools that politely rejected their application on the basis of their color.

The experience of these two American teachers who prefer to remain anonymous is the collective reality that people of color have in Taiwan; a simple word called racial discrimination. When asked why they were not given the job, they were told that by virtue of the color of their skin, they mare probably not qualified to teach english, since people with dark skin should be relegated to doing menial, blue-collar jobs in fields and factories, which has been a relaity for the minority aborigonal population in Taiwan sincethe Chinese Nationalist Party(KMT) established its political headquarters on Taiwan in 1949.

Racist sentiments extend from the English teaching job market to other facets of the Taiwanese society where blacks are considered more inferior than their white counterparts. It is the general view even today that someone with dark skin should be avoided at all costs and in many social circles, black professionals are generally isolated by Taiwanese people.

Millions of dollars are spent by skin care companies to develop new face whitening products to satisfy the demand of the population to be white at all costs. The concept of the tan is a nightmare to both male and female in the Taiwanese society and it is seen as very filthy and and dirty to have tanned skin.

The taboo of black is ugly and uneducated in Taiwan is reminiscent of the United States of America in the era of the 1960’s where that minority were classified as second class citizens. Other more subtle acts of racism manifests itself against African people who are in Taiwan as students, Entrepeneurs and cultural ambassadors. They are seen generally as uncivilized beings and people in Taiwan tend to make a mockery of their skin color and culturakl heritage.

According to one student, if her life was dependent on survival in Taiwan, she would not object to having a Michael Jackson plastic surgery in order to be accepted by the general populace. The Philippino population in Taiwan have also esxpressed dismay at the disrecpect meted out to them by the Taiwanese population because of the general taboo.

It seems Asia has joined the band of countries where racism is generally accepted.

Where did you get this story from? Do you have the link?

I’m guessing there is no link because kellyc either personally knows or only heard about the 2 Americans.

I’m not quite sure I understand the point of the OP. Racism exists. It exists in Taiwan, and the rest of the world. So? Tell me something I don’t know.

What solutions do you propose? Protest on the streets? Sign a petition? Lobby for anti-discrimination laws? Boycott racist schools? Boycott Taiwan? Suggest a solution, and I’ll consider if it makes sense, and whether I want to participate. Stop complaining about problems, and come up with solutions.

Why don’t you suggest boycotting racist schools? Say so, and I’ll do it. Actually, I did it already, because I have to. Racist schools won’t let me work for them because I’m ABC. I had to filter through the job ads for “ABCs welcome” in order to get a job. For the ones that had no conditions, I called and asked, “Do you accept ABCs?” which is “Do you accept people like me?” How humiliating is that - my parents were born in this country.

The one that hired me was a large chain school, one of the biggest in TW. They are adamant about being non-discriminatory. I’ve been there for the past 5 years, and seen about 10-15 new teachers, and 3 of them have been black. I worked in my school’s adult department, and out of about 5 teachers, there has always been 1 black teacher. In fact, our department is looking for a couple of new teachers for September, since a couple veterans are leaving (I’m one of them). If you’re interested, pm me.

So if you’re suggesting boycotting TW, well, no way. Not everybody, and not every school, has racist hiring policies. If you’re a person of color like me, you have to work harder to find a non-racist school, and you have to work even harder to stay in your job. We can’t just be equal to whites - we have to be better, just to survive.

Sure it’s not fair. Racism isn’t fair, life isn’t fair, and the world isn’t fair. Being rejected for a TEFL job in TW because of race isn’t fair - and it also isn’t fair that 3 billion+ people in the world can’t get a TEFL job in TW because English isn’t their mother tongue, or there’s no way they can get a university degree. Equal opportunity in this world? Keep dreaming. If you’re born poor, ugly, sick, handicapped, missing limbs, there’s no such thing as equal opportunity. You can’t expect other people to treat you equally in this world - you can only treat other people equally. If you want justice in this world, you can only act with justice - your actions are the creation of justice.

You do the best with what you have, and you try to find a way. Of course, you can sit around waiting for other people to be fair to you, make way for you, be nice to you and give you a chance, but you’ll be waiting for a long time, and you’ll be wasting your own potential to do something about it.

I’m a bit confused. Which specific Taiwanese laws have been broken?

Escaped -
I don’t think any laws have been broken, because there are not anti-discriminatory equal opportunity employment laws for the TEFL industry in TW. There may not be any in general, but I wouldn’t know.

The OP is just… well, I don’t know what he/she was doing. Expressing the injustice about the incident, I’m guessing.