A suit (good quality but not too expensive)

Hi,

do you know a place in Taipei where I could buy a suit : good quality but not too expensive (I found some places where the quality was very poor and some other stores where it was expensive). And also do you know some stores where we can get good quality shirts ? (and of course not too expensive as well)

Thank you very much.

Florent

The last one I got came from the Boss store on Anhe Rd in a sale. At just NT$40,000, I thought it was good value – its less than a thousand British quid!!! Looks SHARP!

you need to define ‘expensive’ because with suits that is a huge chasm.

I highly recommend getting a custom suit. I never remember what I pay, but I don’t think they’re so expensive. It’s not Saville Row, but I’ve always had trouble finding an off-the-rack suit that fit right. It’s terrific buying one made precisely for you, that fits just right in every way. :slight_smile:

If that might interest you, I’m sure lots of folks can recommend good tailors. I like mine, on Minsen E Rd near Tunhua N. Rd.

My budget is less tant 15,000NT (I would prefer closer to 10,000NT).

Thank you for your answers.

NT$10,000 will get you a NT$10,000 suit. You can’t have quality AND bargain-basement prices, unless you luck into a knock-down sale somewhere. Are there even suits available for less than that? It’s not “not too expensive.” Its about as cheap as you can get. And it will show.

You might try looking on Chungshan N. Rd. about 30 meters south of the intersection of Nanjing and Chungshan, on the east side of the road. I want to say it has a Japanese sounding name.

I haven’t been there for years, but if it’s still around, it may have what you’re looking for.

Very cheap suits can be had both “off the rack” and from tailors. Off the rack, made in China, suits can be had for a few thousand, although the materials and cut may not be to your liking. Alternatively, the tailor down the street said that she could make me a suit for less than 4,000 (44R or 46R). She has quite an array of fabrics and a fairly good reputation. I am sure that if you are willing to shell out a few more clams for your bespoke suit, you would end up with a very nice garment. [warning: these prices are based upon my experiences in Tainan]

If you time your purchase correctly, or have a good relationship with department store sales staff, you can also find higher-end suits at reasonable prices. I have found good deals at Shin Kong Mitsukoshi on last-season fashions (i.e., a quality Emanuel Ungaro suit for under 10,000) or special holiday offers (i.e., a gorgeous Daks three-piece for around 20,000). Alterations on such suits may run you 1,000 to 2,000, but are worthwhile for a good fit.

My budget is less tant 15,000NT (I would prefer closer to 10,000NT).

Thank you for your answers.[/quote]

Garment district near the end of Nanjing Xi Loo. ll the other tailors in town farm out their work to that area, best to go down there and cut out the middle man.

Thank you for your answers.
I will check these tailors.

i have had two suits and a sports coat made by Pauls on Linsen road by the imperial hotel. His daughter Anita runs the day to day and both my wife and i were extrememly pleased with the suits. I also went back and had shirts made and I am getting a tuxedo mae by Paul he is the best

and what about the price ?

Thanks.

Recently tried James Lee. He’s been around for a long time. Has a regular ad in This Month In Taiwan. My old tailor in Hong Kong has lost its skill and I have tried a few new ones over the past few years with disappointment. Awhile back I went to a tailor right next to the Regent Hotel and was very disappointed with the service, price, it took multiple fittings and they gave another guy my suit – luckily he was local and they got it back.

James Lee has 3 locations but he seems to stay at the Zhongshan N. Road location. Address: No. 5, Lane 65, Section 2, Zhongshan North Road, Zhongshan District, Taipei City, 10491. Top quality worsted wool/cashmere blend fabric, 2 pants, plus another pair of olive worsted wool pants for $25,000 – a fair price. Returned in a few days for a fitting and came to pick up the suit and pants and they fit perfectly. That was impressive; wouldn’t expect that with any tailor. James Lee helped me personally and was friendly and definitely had the knowledge of someone with years of experience in the trade.

1 Like