A summer outdoor nice night time date in Taipei - help

It is June, almost July, the wather is getting nicer and an outdoors date would be nice.

Any recommendations? Some place for a nice stroll, some good eats, things to do without breaking the bank in Taipei. I heard of a place near an MRT line that has a bridge that is all lit up at night, padle boats on the river, carnival style games on the river front walk, and night market style vendor food.

Where is this place? I want to surprise my GF with a nice date tonight. Any help would be great. Thanks!

mosquitoes

Berts Bees (Mosquito Repellent that doesnt stink tohigh heaven) … Check! :smiley: got that one covered.

[quote=“derek1978”]It is June, almost July, the wather is getting nicer and an outdoors date would be nice.

Any recommendations? Some place for a nice stroll, some good eats, things to do without breaking the bank in Taipei. I heard of a place near an MRT line that has a bridge that is all lit up at night, padle boats on the river, carnival style games on the river front walk, and night market style vendor food.

Where is this place? I want to surprise my GF with a nice date tonight. Any help would be great. Thanks![/quote]

That’s Bitan! It’s by the Xindian MRT station!

Nice me arse.

It’s humid and hot. Ugh.

I dunno. Take her to that ferris wheel. It’s all lit up and romantic-like.

The place you are talking about is probably Danshui? Last stop north of the red line.
Take the bus from the MRT to fisherman’s wharf. Yuren matou. Lotsa people on the weekends though. Not that great, IMO. Big bridge, some boat rides, some food.

Look for my thread on the marvelous tea houses of Maokong. Just up the road from you. The one with the glass floor would be great on a nice night or the green house which serves western food. Or PLC. All have decks with fantasic views over the city. Really special.

No No No…not Danshui…benn there done that, not doing it again. Danshui is totally over rated. I think it is the Bitan place. :slight_smile:

Good Luck and have a loverly evening!

Unfortunately the bit of Bitan you’re talking about (paddleboats, nightmarket) is overrated too and far from romantic. There are much nicer bits near there, but I’d go with the Maokong tea-house idea - it’s much cooler up there (not this nasty nasty humid thirty-odd degree stuff we get in the basin), plus the walk, stars etc make it romantic.

Thanks TC, and I hope likewise for you! :wink:

Since I am the one doing the surprising I need to know howto get there. How do you get to the tea places? I am assuming that they are near ChengChi University?

Print out a name card and show it to a taxi driver. Cost: 150-200NT. They all know the area. Yes, close to the uni: 10 minutes or so.

Well the very worst thing about Bitan is that a certain Sandperson lives nearby. How cool can it be?

What about taking the MRT up to the blue tit (CKS memorial) and strolling your way up to the Italian job? Or in reverse, eating at the Eyetie and wandering back through CKS.

HG

Too bad the chairlift they’re building in Maokong isn’t completed - it’ll be an interesting way to get up to the teahouses.

But Maokong - definitely romantic, especially on a clear night.

You know this relationship is still in the early stages. A date on a hot humid night. :astonished: Get back to us when you want to figure out how to keep her in the house and order pizza and a movie. :laughing:

Bitan won’t be romantic tonight. The footbridge does have some lights on it but nothing special. The paddle boats are tacky, the supposedly “romantic” (read: cheesy) waterfront cafes are crap and overpriced, although the non-romantic ones on the far side of the river are much better, but they’re strictly seafood and Taiwan beer, so not so romantic. There’s always Rosemary’s kitchen, which has quite nice Mediterranean-style decor, nice views and OK food, if a bit pricy. You can always just order some fruit tea or something, though, and grab some snacks elsewhere.
The only really great thing is Athula’s Sri Lankan rotis, but as I’ll probably be sitting there sucking on Kirins with no shirt or shoes on while ogling the teenies with their bare bellybuttons and arsecracks, it won’t be that romantic either. Although if you want I’ll kiss and grope your girlfriend. That’s sure to get her in the mood for a little lovin’.

You are describing the Bital Special Scenic Area - per map link,and click on Xindian (bottom of the map).

http://www.trtc.com.tw/e/service.asp?catid=%E4%B9%98%E8%BB%8A%E6%8C%87%E5%8D%97&small=%E8%B7%AF%E7%B7%9A%E5%9C%96%E6%9A%A8%E8%BB%8A%E7%AB%99%E8%B3%87%E8%A8%8A

I had a date there with a Taiwanese person and they thought it was very romantic, and I guess that is what is important, right !

A friend of mine is coming to Taiwan.I’d like to take him to Danshui.

I have to report back that the date was a huge success. We went to Bitan. There were no mosquitos at all. The sky was partially clear (could see some stars). Not many people at all, which makes it more intimate. There were a few people setting off fireworks on the river in those paddle boats. The bridge was totaly lit up. There was a very pleasent cool breeze coming off the river that kept us cool. The humidity by the river was almost zero.

My only complaint…the night had to end, the food was crap and I stepped in some dog shit (damn it). But, she loved it, thought it was very romantic…just chilling and talking and relaxing on the waterfront.

Thanks everyone for your recomendations. And Sandman…I didnt see you oogeling the youngens last night…were you out and about?

To the person writing that they want to take a friend to Danshui…Don’t. Its a crap hole, full of people on the weekends taking their kids to play in the “mud sand” next to the filthy river. It smells, there is litter everywhere, nothing beautiful to see except a dirty river, some ugly buildings, and street vendors. You could take aboat over to Bali and do some hiking…but I think there are better places for that.

sounds like Bitan is fine.I can take it to my plan though.
anywhere else you can recommend?