(a) Taiwanese (guy) and money

Is everyone happy that the title is politically correct and not stereotyping Taiwanese in any way whatsoever? Good, so I shall begin ranting. (PS: warning - I swear a lot).

I recently enrolled in a driving school for a few hours of lessons before I take the local license test. My assigned instructor is aboriginal Taiwanese. When we first met there was a great rapport, lots of laughing and joking and in turn this helped me feel comfortable about the whole stupid test course.

He kept asking me every five minutes how much I earned each month to which I replied ‘enough’, but he kept pushing it because he saw my ARC with ‘investor’ on it. In the end I just wanted him to get off the subject so I divided my real earnings by ten and told him that. Oops, obviously not low enough as things changed drastically.

Every other sentence that comes out of his mouth is now some snidey comment about how rich I am or about how I should go home and sit on my ass until more money comes my way. Roughly translated:

[i]“Okay, you’ve had a hard hour’s driving, you should go and rest to earn money now.”

“You can’t be wasting too much time here, you should be playing on your computer to make money.”

“I’m thinking about going back to school so I can earn NT$x/month sitting in front of a computer but some of us are too poor.”[/i] (Err actually I do a lot more manual labour than you, mate. Wanna swap?)

“Don’t leave that expensive jacket there or you will have to earn even more money to get a new one.” (I’m sorry, but I had to respond to this one… ‘I’m glad you like it but it was NT$200 from 大買家, fuckface’).

I don’t know where the fuck all these assumptions are coming from but I’m guessing his ass. I was brought up by a single parent in a council flat surrounded by drug addicts that was knocked down shortly after we left because it was declared criminally unsafe. I never went to college. My grandparents sacrificed a lot just so we could have a roof over our heads. I never asked for anything as a kid because I knew my mum didn’t have any money to pay for it. I have a very comfortable life now but that’s because I’ve worked every day of my life since the age of 14 instead of sitting on my ass and whining. I’m proud of what I have because nobody helped me get it but I’d like to think I have some humility as well and this is what upsets me when faced with resentful attitudes on a daily basis.

But is this how us white devils are still seen by Taiwanese, regardless of our work ethic/income/background/personality? Snooty, lazy, stuck-up rich assholes who get paid for being white? It’s sad that the real friends I have in Taiwan are mostly wealthy entrepeneurs, simply because it seems so hard for everyone else to deal with the concept of a young businessman without making backhanded comments every ten seconds. So many people here want so desperately to be rich and become seethingly jealous of anyone who appears richer than them. Seems like one big mad circle to me.

Should I just smack him one in the jaw and have done with it? That’s the working class Liverpool way, after all.

[color=gray]
Apologies for length, I’m having a bad month.
[/color]

Llary

Good to see you have a human side, was worried after all that stuff with you and the chicks!

Just ignore him. Vietnam is far worse, probably due to a higher level of overall poverty. You will either get used to it, or not but you won;t stop this kind of attitude. I’m sure if you think back you have seen similar behaviour at home. My brother still lives in low rent accomodation in London (he got kicked out of his housing association place) and many of his friends have this attitude to me,fug 'em.

How the hell can he mistake a shell suit top for an expensive jacket?

Focus on that. You never have to appologize for what you have especially if you earned. What you may want to do is learn some classy/graceful ways or witty comebacks about having your own money and it not being given to you. Remember his attitude isn’t under your control.

Best of luck :rainbow:

Sounds like you have a real winner on your hands. :laughing:

not sure being aboriginal or even taiwanese for that matter should come into play. the guy is a moron, simple. they are everywhere, life is like that. take your instruction lesson $ elsewhere. simple.

As you now have found out…never under any circumstances, even the pain of death, disclose your income, or any other personal information, evenupon the pain of death. I once made the mistake of telling the movers as they were moving my house (really, really, bad move :noway: ).

Not even to close relative, should you come to have one. Just as an another example, my good friends father-in-law was nice enough to disclose his monthly salary to the entire banquet at his wedding. Nice! Of course, we teased him mercilessly afterwards.

Ignor, demure, whatever…just don’t disclose

Wise words from the Hottie. I would also take my business elsewhere. I do notice alot of this kind of behaviour in Taiwan. The goal seems to be to earn as much money and gain as much face as possible.
Of course I know alot of Taiwanese people who are not like this, but it seems, particularly from people currently of middle age, to be a nasty little corner of the culture here.

One of the problems that comes with improving Chinese language ability is exposure to this crap; that is, answering questions about money and overhearing conversations about it.

New title:
(A) British (guy) and money

Is everyone happy that the title is politically correct and not stereotyping the British in any way whatsoever?

So there’s this young British guy I met a couple of months ago at Carnegie’s. Introduced by a friend who vouched that his is a fine, well-mannered young man, if I know any good girl for him, blah, blah…

So the guy leaves our table having made a really good impression.

But ten minutes later, the waitress comes and says: “Is that guy your friend, tash? He didn’t pay his bill.”

So, I thought, ok, so the kid is young, probably not much money, won’t take it against him, deserves another chance, etc.

But WTF! I now find out he’s loaded!!!

What would you do?

Here’s the mandatory :wink: for those who need it.

Tash, WTF are you asking for, get him proposed to…go girl

:wink:

Reminds me of the security guard at our office - he never directly asked what I earn (and I certainly didn’t tell him nor will I ever) but he just assumes I am rich. Virtually everytime I walk by he would make a joke along the line of “You are so rich, you have to give me some money [for lunch, teatime …]” or asks me for “complimentary food / drinks” when I walk by with lunch bag or a cup of coffee from Starbucks. Stupid comments like that all the time he sees me.
Initially I didn’t mind but after more than 4 years and listening to it nearly every day it’s not only boring anymore, it’s just annoying.

There have been other locals commenting on my wealth occassionally (in whichever way they actually determine that, though definetely not by the way I dress), but it just seems to be of great “concern” for many people here. Dunno why is that, maybe I just don’t understand Chinese culture. :s

Actually it was similar in Malaysia, there also was this kind of what I think is best described as envy. I guess the formula goes “[white] foreigner working here = rich”.

tell them you give it all to your wife, and you get $200 NT/month spending money, so it can’t be all that much :wink:

That’s rubbish – they don’t ALL think that way. Lots of them think we’re dirt poor economic migrants who couldn’t hack it in our own countries.:wink:

I won’t even comment on Dangermouse’s shell suit comment. Except for :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

[quote=“tash”]New title:
(A) British (guy) and money

Is everyone happy that the title is politically correct and not stereotyping the British in any way whatsoever?

So there’s this young British guy I met a couple of months ago at Carnegie’s. Introduced by a friend who vouched that his is a fine, well-mannered young man, if I know any good girl for him, blah, blah…

So the guy leaves our table having made a really good impression.

But ten minutes later, the waitress comes and says: “Is that guy your friend, tash? He didn’t pay his bill.”

So, I thought, ok, so the kid is young, probably not much money, won’t take it against him, deserves another chance, etc.

But WTF! I now find out he’s loaded!!!

What would you do?[/quote]

ERRRRR!!

I think you’ll recall that I moved to another table for a business meeting with another foreign chap. Just before we left I stopped the waitress to pay off my bill but she told me that my associate had already paid for everything (which I should bloody well think so as I was giving him a sizeable design contract).

I hope they didn’t try to make any of you guys pay for the paid-for bill and if they did then I shall of course reimburse you before tootling over there and giving them what for.

So there :stuck_out_tongue: Trying to sully my good name, it’s a disgrace. And to think I changed my quoting style for you.

And to think I poo-pooed everyone who told me that learning Chinese was more trouble than it was worth. I hang my head in shame and long for complete ignorance again.

‘Oh look, he’s smiling and nodding! He must really like my new hairstyle’.

[quote=“sandman”]
That’s rubbish – they don’t ALL think that way. Lots of them think we’re dirt poor economic migrants who couldn’t hack it in our own countries.:wink:

I won’t even comment on Dangermouse’s shell suit comment. Except for :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:[/quote]

That I can deal with. I couldn’t hack it in my own country - too many fucking shellsuits. For all the problems and all the frustrations in Taiwan, it gives me such delight each and every morning to know that I will never again hear ‘eh lah got 20p like? or jus bum us a bifter like sound ah kid lah’.

:slight_smile: No, they didn’t. Don’t worry.

Hey, but here’s a thought… let’s sue TpeBob for everything he’s got for allowing for your reputation to be sullied like this!

Why, I dare to say that it’s probably this single incident that is responsible for your whole disastrous dating experience.

[quote=“tash”]Hey, but here’s a thought… let’s sue TpeBob for everything he’s got for allowing for your reputation to be sullied like this!

Why, I dare to say that it’s probably this single incident that is responsible for your whole disastrous dating experience.[/quote]

And how much has he got? Does he make more than NT$50,000/month? NT$100,000? NT$200,000? Does he have a house? A car? What about bank accounts? What’s his net worth? Goddamn tpebobs coming here and stealing our women and livelihoods.

What do you mean, Mr. P?

I hope you’re not suggesting something illegal? He’s 10 years younger :astonished:

That’s a tad too young for me.