A teachable moment for the DPP?

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2455573

You gotta hit bottom before you’ll really do what it takes to change. But where’s the bottom?

[quote=“rowland”]
You gotta hit bottom before you’ll really do what it takes to change. But where’s the bottom?[/quote]

correct me if I’m wrong, but won’t several thousand PLA soldiers
marching up Ketagalan Boulevard be the bottom for Taiwan?

Rock bottom is putting “Sunflaowers” within the first 10 words of your article and somehow not noticing it.

I do worry the DPP can decline even more. The students will definitely put a strain on the DPP. I think the DPP will struggle to come out with clear messages to gain the general public’s attention…while the students can just toss out any topic at any time as a motive for another march on the legislature. The result will be the general public will blame DPP for the mess the students create.

Also from that article…

“…the DPP must work to ensure the expectations of the people”…but…“the students, he said have taken the role of gatekeepers and guardians of the country’s future” Hmmm…I thought elected officials (DPP) chosen by the people were supposed to take most of that role. No…sorry…the students know best what the country should be doing…so they should just continue to bypass democratically elected officials.

The DPP should be scared, very scared of what havoc the students could actually cause for DPP. What direction will DPP chose? Daily demonstrations against everything? or try to pull back and be more of a mainstream party to try to obtain votes to reach a majority in government?

I don’t follow. Frank Hsieh is not an elected anything. He is a former premier (appointed) who wants people within his party to elect him to party chairman. How is his authority being usurped by the students?

Every person who has ever been elected had, at some point in his life, never been elected, and will, at some point, never again be elected.

Voters can be fickle, especially when those who are currently elected aren’t getting the job done. These protest leaders might some day soon run for office, and the voters will think to themselves: sure, why not?

And there will be people who think “absolutely no way do I want someone like that to run this country.” Well, that is democracy. I only hope these young people recognize that if they or their preferred candidates are NOT chosen to run the country they should respect other people’s choice…and not try to usurp the government to save the “stupid” people who decided to vote for someone else.

What was that fitting expression someone posted in this thread?

Right, here we have it:

A nice change from the same old bad mouthing Ma and KMT right?

I agree that the KMT is a terrible political party because their opposition does not actually give them a run for the money. They have no incentive not to make horrible policy decisions because they keep getting elected anyway.

There’s a standard rejoinder for this standard point, but the standard response to the standard rejoinder is to bring up Godwin’s Law.

Anyway, democracy can and does self destruct in certain circumstances. Because sometimes voters are, in fact, stupid.

Hmmm…seems more than a few people on this site use this logic. Since the Taiwan voters are stupid the DPP, students or others have the right or obligation to step in and stop this democracy from getting worse.

That would mean that DPP or any minority party does not have to make any changes to attract voters because most of the voters are stupid anyway.

But from another viewpoint, some might say the DPP/student supporters are stupid which is leading to the destruction of democracy here.

[quote=“Flakman”]Hmmm…seems more than a few people on this site use this logic. Since the Taiwan voters are stupid the DPP, students or others have the right or obligation to step in and stop this democracy from getting worse.

That would mean that DPP or any minority party does not have to make any changes to attract voters because most of the voters are stupid anyway.

But from another viewpoint, some might say the DPP/student supporters are stupid which is leading to the destruction of democracy here.[/quote]

What on earth are you trying to get at with this circular logic?

The DPP certainly needs to move from the Party of Opposition to the Party with Propositions.

The party of propositions with recognition for the opposition and politicians who are more than rhetoricians to prevent a repetition of supposition that their disposition is all about admonition and lacking definition, exposition, intuition, and true ambition.

I’ll take my Grammy now.

The party of propositions with recognition for the opposition and politicians who are more than rhetoricians to prevent a repetition of supposition that their disposition is all about admonition and lacking definition, exposition, intuition, and true ambition.

I’ll take my Grammy now.[/quote]

They call him Hokapotamus
With rhymes damn near bottomless

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2459220

If only American politicians could bow out with this much grace.