A thin wallet

Can anyone recommend a thin wallet? I got rid of a lot of unnecessary cards and I am now down to my ATM card, a credit card, ID card, and jian bao card and the MRT card. It still feels pretty thick with the wallet empty and I managed to cut out a lot of thickness by cutting out unnecessary inserts (mines had a lot of weird inserts that contributed to significant thickness). It just feels weird in my front pocket to have a thick wallet, and when you add an iPod touch, it becomes too thick.

oh i thought you meant a wallet sparely populated with moola :slight_smile:

Try using a money clip. I always fold the bills around my cards and slide the clip on. Works great!

*also try finding a wallet that has the removable ID. insert. That works too.

Same…

Try the night market? Money clips are good ideas too though, if you have a pocket for the change!

It’s not like wallets come in models, with reviews. Go to the night market or department store, and pick a thin one out.

Just get married. You’ll never carry money or a credit card again.

1 Like

This is the kind of wallet I currently use.

It’s very thin, and the money clip works great. They are pretty rare, though. Most markets and wallet stores don’t have them. I bought mine in the Philippines about 8 years ago and it’s still in very good condition. A well worth investment.

Wallet-keychain

chums.com/category/keychains … /marsupial

There are a few manufacturers of “super thin wallets” on the Internet:

all-ett.com/

bigskinny.net/

superslimmy.com/

:no-no: One has to DIY a waleet to suit one’s needs!

Mori san. Owner of many Mori buildings in Japan ( think he may be dead now tho). I think he was a school teacher after WW-dos and inherited a lot of land which he parlayed into office buildings. Multi billionaire he is (was?)

Oh here he is , yes long passed and his two sons carry on with his wealth building.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taikichiro_Mori

He was reported to have been asked once by reporters how his life has changed from that of a average joe to billionaire? He replied after a short pause that now…he no longer carried a wallet !! :slight_smile: (he didnt have to, as he travelled everywhere with assistants who attend to everything).

:no-no: One has to DIY a waleet to suit one’s needs![/quote]

:laughing: Been there, done that. I used to do leathercraft. The DIY wallet kits are actually usually thicker than commercially made ones, because the leather used in the kits is heavier (partly because they use vegetable-tanned leather thick enough to do some tooling on and partly because they are normally designed to be assembled with a hand whip stitch with fairly thick lace. Commercial wallets often use thinner leather and machine sewing.

It’s weird everytime I give my wife my wallet it comes back thinner! (…actually it’s because she helps me take care of the bunch of receipts I pick up all the time…)

My “wallet” is simply one of those two sided card holders from the bank with an ID and a ATM-debit card. I carry folded up bills next to it in my right front pocket. I only ever reach in that pocket when I need to use cash or the ATM-debit card, which is maybe 2 or 3 times a day.

I melted an Easy/MRT card in nail polish remover and put the working components in the back of my phone. I carry the phone in my left front pocket. I use the Easy/MRT card in the phone to pay for taxis, for trips to 7-11, and for anything else that might come up where they accept the EasyCard. I also keep a highres pic of both sides of my ID in a password protected file on my phone in case I lose my “wallet” and I keep enough money on the MRT card in case of a lost wallet and after hours emergencies. That way I have to lose everything in both pockets to be SOL.

I just DIY’ed my wallet. After eliminating a bunch of useless cards, I consolidated all the cards into one leaflet and used a knife to cut out the rest of the useless mumbo jumbo that’s in the wallet. The result is a wallet that is not only a lot thinner, the MRT card inside can more easily trigger the ticket kiosk. Before I had to struggle before it would trigger…

I don’t know about modifying the MRT card to fit it into everyday items such as my cell phone, since that is technically illegal as the card is TRTC property. I think there was a news about this a while ago of someone took the RFID tag that was in the MRT card and molded it into an epoxy ring, so the wearer may trigger the kiosk without carrying the card. The ring was kinda big and ugly but it works. I think TRTC decided not to do anything about it but they said it is not technically allowed.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]
I don’t know about modifying the MRT card to fit it into everyday items such as my cell phone, since that is technically illegal as the card is TRTC property. I think there was a news about this a while ago of someone took the RFID tag that was in the MRT card and molded it into an epoxy ring, so the wearer may trigger the kiosk without carrying the card. The ring was kinda big and ugly but it works. I think TRTC decided not to do anything about it but they said it is not technically allowed.[/quote]
i threw mine away…it is not their property. We pay 100NTD for it.

I’ve gotten a few confused looks when I put my phone on the reader at stores, but that’s pretty much it.

This summer’s smartphones will support near field communications, and thus with the appropriate software, MRT cards, Visa swipe to pay, etc. without the need melt an MRT card down to get the RFID and antenna. Still for the foreseeable, I think the most minimal one can go is ID + ATM Debit card + phone + keys + pocket cash.

[quote=“mabagal”]I’ve gotten a few confused looks when I put my phone on the reader at stores, but that’s pretty much it.

This summer’s smartphones will support near field communications, and thus with the appropriate software, MRT cards, Visa swipe to pay, etc. without the need melt an MRT card down to get the RFID and antenna. Still for the foreseeable, I think the most minimal one can go is ID + ATM Debit card + phone + keys + pocket cash.[/quote]

And a hacker with enough skills will be able to use all of those services without paying for it…

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”][quote=“mabagal”]I’ve gotten a few confused looks when I put my phone on the reader at stores, but that’s pretty much it.

This summer’s smartphones will support near field communications, and thus with the appropriate software, MRT cards, Visa swipe to pay, etc. without the need melt an MRT card down to get the RFID and antenna. Still for the foreseeable, I think the most minimal one can go is ID + ATM Debit card + phone + keys + pocket cash.[/quote]

And a hacker with enough skills will be able to use all of those services without paying for it…[/quote]

No, not really.

First, NFC is short range, requiring a sniffer to be within centimeters to sniff. Even then, the transaction itself is encrypted similarly to SSL. So if you buy stuff over the internet over HTTPS channels, it’s the same thing, but in a way more secure because the transaction only travels between two spots a centimeter or two away from each other instead of over the internet.

Japan have been using NFC for quite a while now. Basic cellphones in Japan support digital wallets. One of the factors limiting adoption of smartphones in Japan has been lack of NFC capabilities on iPhones, Androids, Blackberrys. The best selling single phone in Japan since last summer has been the iPhone 4, but the iPhone 4 does not have NFC. So the carrier Softbank started issuing NFC stickers for the back of the phone to meet customer outcry. blog.wirelessground.com/apple-ip … -stickers/

Citibank has been shipping NFC stickers for their cards since last summer. I’ve been happy with it where it works, which in the USA is a lot of places and in Taiwan, not so many. One thing that Taiwan is extremely backwards in is the need to carry cash. The sooner this is eradicated, the better. I’m not the only person who’s complained of having to carry cash after coming from the States where many have gotten into the habit of not having to use cash very often if at all.

But some people would prefer using cash so big brother won’t know everything about you at a click of a mouse.