A Unicycle

I saw one in the park today and wouldn’t mind adding it to my collection of things I’m trying to do.

I’ve got one at home. A lot fun and easier than it looks.

Most bike shops should be able to get you one.

[quote=“Truant”]Most bike shops should be able to get you one.
[/quote]
Be careful to ask if the models you see are for children or adults. Then, even if you hear “yes” to Adults, have them demonstrate that it is an adult model. Not by riding, but by showing that the seatpost is long enough (extendable) to allow for long adult legs – proper foot to crotch spacing. Also, the wheels may be too small (see below). Many unicycles that I’ve seen are for kids.

Get a banana (or modified butterfly) type of seat, not a normal bike seat. Big difference when learning and riding.

Think about wheel size. See link below.

However, with most? unicycles being made in Taiwan anyway, you should theoretically have a good selection here and great prices.

unicycling.org/unicycling/Unidb/unidbf.html
unicycling.org/unicycling/Unidb/ac.html
balder.prohosting.com/unicycle/buy/buy.html

If you find a good one, let us know where you picked it up. Good luck.

How do you know so much about unicycles, seeker4?

[quote=“Chris”]How do you know so much about unicycles, seeker4?
[/quote]
Maybe because I fell off of one onto the pavement about 8,352 times between the ages of 12 and 14. Oh yeah, and managed to ride a few feet in the process :wink: Only a good ole Schwinn could have survived that.

Much harder to learn to ride as an adult than as a kid. Different body weight and center of gravity issues. I think I’d pay money to see Truant on a unicycle.

[quote=“seeker4”][quote=“Chris”]How do you know so much about unicycles, seeker4?
[/quote]
Maybe because I fell off of one onto the pavement about 8,352 times between the ages of 12 and 14. Oh yeah, and managed to ride a few feet in the process :wink: Only a good ole Schwinn could have survived that.[/quote]

Yea, my little brother had one when we were teens. He got really good at it and rode to school on it sometimes to be goofy. I got so I could ride 10 or 20 feet from time to time, but that was about it. Ours was a Schwinn too. Anyway, I agree that most decent bike shops in Taipei should be able to get you one. But of course you haven’t mastered it till you can juggle while riding it.

Which came first…the Unicycle or the Mime?

Funny, I have the same thing in mind.

. . . while wearing a moose hat and meowing. :wink:

RT Mart has unicycles. At least the one near Fuhsing between Bade Rd and Civic Boulevard (Taipei) does. I’m not sure how much they are but I believe they were the banana seat variety.

Resurrecting this is thread to ask the same question.

Where can I get an unicycle?

I asked at Decathlon and they didn’t have nor ever sold out there.
It doesn’t need to be a professional one like @rooftopclown uses for his professional services, just simple one for me to learn the art.

2 Likes