A wack thing that I encountered in Texas

Could I tell you a whack thing that I encountered in Texas?

A group of us were going out to lunch from the office. Someone mentioned hand gun. After we were all in the car the drive said “I have a gun in my car.” Proceed to pull out a pistol right under her car seat and passed it around. :astonished:
This woman has small children at home. :fume:

Google[/quote]

I had no idea it was actually called Holy Mount Zion.

[quote=“jmcd”]Could I tell you a whack thing that I encountered in Texas?

A group of us were going out to lunch from the office. Someone mentioned hand gun. After we were all in the car the drive said “I have a gun in my car.” Proceed to pull out a pistol right under her car seat and passed it around. :astonished:
This woman has small children at home. :fume:[/quote]

I’m failing to see the problem. Was it loaded?

If it was unloaded it’s about as dangerous as passing around a wrench. If it was loaded it depends on how well she knew the people. Most people aren’t dumb enough to keep a loaded gun with all the pieces together though.

An unloaded gun should be treated as though it is loaded, even if you can see the magazine has been removed. You certainly don’t pass one around unless you’ve checked for a bullet in the chamber, and you shouldn’t be doing that while driving. The bolded part is why. While most people (in Texas at least) might know what they’re doing, there’s a plentiful supply of mouthbreathing fuckwits everywhere, and you don’t want one of them waving a gun around just on the say-so of one person who says it’s unloaded.

In summary: whack.

Lot of people run around with guns in Texas I am told. IIRC some lady in Texas just killed a guy who came at her while she was in her car. Thats what that gun is for.

Giving a beetle nut to a 10 year old? The granny should be arrested. That kid is going to grow up into a junkie.

hallelujah -ren ? Thats a good one. :slight_smile:

The gun was loaded. We were in the parking lot when the guy was passed around. I did not touch it.
The gun was just place under the seat. No case, not secured, nothing. The car was a big old SUV, she transport her children in that car.

I was at a Christmas party. A group of us were talking about Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. An old man said “I am not giving up my gun” and proceed to tell us the new guns he and his wife want to buy. Kids gunned down like ants being stepped on, no problem!!!

In Taiwan??

An unloaded gun should be treated as though it is loaded, even if you can see the magazine has been removed. You certainly don’t pass one around unless you’ve checked for a bullet in the chamber, and you shouldn’t be doing that while driving. The bolded part is why. While most people (in Texas at least) might know what they’re doing, there’s a plentiful supply of mouthbreathing fuckwits everywhere, and you don’t want one of them waving a gun around just on the say-so of one person who says it’s unloaded.

In summary: whack.[/quote]
I, for once, have nothing to add to some limey post.
:notworthy: :bravo: :ponder:

[quote=“finley”]
An unloaded gun should be treated as though it is loaded, even if you can see the magazine has been removed. [/quote]

This is rule number one.

A friend of mine back home once decided to play a trick on his brother. He checked the chamber of his .22 and made sure it was empty and pointed it at his brother. He was just about to pull the trigger when Rule #1 kicked in. He turned the rifle to the window and pulled the trigger and it fired. Friend’s brother was saved by Rule #1

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”][quote=“finley”]
An unloaded gun should be treated as though it is loaded, even if you can see the magazine has been removed. [/quote]

This is rule number one.
[/quote]

Yup, there’s people who totally forget there’s a chamber on these things;
Also Texas; having guns or shotguns is pretty much the norm (at least in the DFW area) but I guess it has to do something with the state’s raising cattle background. What is not the norm, is to pass it around like that…prolly just a showoff…

As long as I know is legal to have a gun without permit in your car, as long as you keep it from public eye (no flashing it for road rage), I guess it means if you are pulled by cops and your car is searched and the gun is found you don’t have a problem to worry is part of the car like the car jack or other tools.

Now in Texas is legal to drive a car without windshield but is illegal to drive a car without windshield wipers.

My son came inside after playing with some neighbor kids and complained that they were shinning laser lights in his face. My son has a laser pointer so I asked if he’d taken it outside and started the laser fight. He said no, the lasers the other kids have are on their guns!

I asked if he was telling me that the other kids had been pointing GUNS at his face and he said YES!

I went to talk to those kids’ mother and found that the guns were toys. I still insisted that they should NOT be aimed at people, my kid in particular, and she insisted she didn’t know they had the toys and would take them away. The next day, they were back outside with the same toy guns, but not allowed to play with my son.

That’s “whack.”

[quote=“housecat”]My son came inside after playing with some neighbor kids and complained that they were shinning laser lights in his face. My son has a laser pointer so I asked if he’d taken it outside and started the laser fight. He said no, the lasers the other kids have are on their guns!

I asked if he was telling me that the other kids had been pointing GUNS at his face and he said YES!

I went to talk to those kids’ mother and found that the guns were toys. I still insisted that they should NOT be aimed at people, my kid in particular, and she insisted she didn’t know they had the toys and would take them away. The next day, they were back outside with the same toy guns, but not allowed to play with my son.

That’s “whack.”[/quote]

This is an interesting point you are raising up… gun culture… I’ve known parents who would NEVER buy their kids something resembling a weapon, and others who just don’t care (like what seems to be this case).
It is not uncommon to see kids playing with toy guns, nerf’s, replicas, airsoft, paintball, etc. Some of them know its just a toy and that the real thing is dangerous, others had their parents buy them the guns without any lecture on firearms, others like to bully their friends with them, others are respectful of the weapons and would safely stow them away after a competition (paintball, airsoft, etc.). Color me dreamy, but I still believe proper lecture is the basis for this kind of morals.

This is a must watch, Penn Gillette used a lot of foul language so be aware, can watch parts 1 and 2 but here’s part 3.

Also this:
news.health.com/2010/09/08/kids- … e-trouble/

[quote=“Pein_11”][quote=“housecat”]My son came inside after playing with some neighbor kids and complained that they were shinning laser lights in his face. My son has a laser pointer so I asked if he’d taken it outside and started the laser fight. He said no, the lasers the other kids have are on their guns!

That’s “whack.”[/quote]

This is an interesting point you are raising up… gun culture… I’ve known parents who would NEVER buy their kids something resembling a weapon, and others who just don’t care (like what seems to be this case).
It is not uncommon to see kids playing with toy guns, nerf’s, replicas, airsoft, paintball, etc. Some of them know its just a toy and that the real thing is dangerous, others had their parents buy them the guns without any lecture on firearms, others like to bully their friends with them, others are respectful of the weapons and would safely stow them away after a competition (paintball, airsoft, etc.). Color me dreamy, but I still believe proper lecture is the basis for this kind of morals.[/quote]
Housecat raises a very interesting point, and one that is not honestly discussed by the gun crowd: the trickle down effect upon the kids.
I am what one should describe as a mild advocate of weaponry. I’ve always had them around, my family come from a long line of farmers and soldiers. I was always taught they are to be handled with the utmost care, like an expensive power tool. Which is what guns are, a tool. To be used for a specific task, such as a band saw, a razor blade, or a phillips head screwdriver. Or even a caulk gun…
Guns are not an emblem, a status symbol, and they are most certainly not toys.
I get very nervous when I see children playing around with toy guns. I think I would go ballistic if I heard about lasers. Back in the day, sure, we all played bang bang games. We even used real missiles, such as unripened pinecones shot from a sling. But we did not go for the head, and it was more of a lark than anything else.
It is all fun and games until someone loses an I, or even worse.
I have always taught my own kids, and anyone else that would care to listen, that you don’t aim a gun, toy or otherwise, at someone’s head. I even got quite reactionary when one of the kids in my community pointed one at mine. It is just plain wrong, and serves no real purpose but some clueless projection of power. Egoism such as this needs to be put in its proper place.

Tales such as that of housecat leave me filled with much fear and loathing at the prospect of moving my own kids back to a sickened North American culture. Not Texas, mind you, but there is always that trickle down effect.

Anyway, nice to see you back on the flob, housecat! 
 :bow: