A website about Living In Taipei (Taiwan)

Hi Folks:
I recently creat a website containing information about Living In Taipei, the address is www.geocities.com/ben0915

Visit it and comment it, thanks.

Sorry, but I don’t see the point. The website is just a collection of links. Why would anyone visit the site? You could just go to a search engine and find any of that stuff. Maybe you have plans to add more in the future. Did you check all of the information on those site. Is it all correct. Why just copy a list of addresses for restaurants. You can get that anywhere. Why not put together a list of the best stands in Taipei. I haven’t seen that anywhere.
I guess what I am saying is that if you want people to visit your site, you need to offer something besides links. Good luck.

Why so negative? A list of links is a good starting point. Isn’t that how Yahoo started out?

Kewl live webcams. Hardly any cars on the highways and it’s daytime.

Can somebody who reads chinese tell me if there are any live webcames overlooking the Taipei Financial Center construction site and any of the high speed rail station construction sites? Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail: Can somebody who reads chinese tell me if there are any live webcames overlooking the Taipei Financial Center construction site and any of the high speed rail station construction sites? Thanks!

I went through those live cameras, there are a few cameras around the sites you mentioned, but focusing on the low angle toward the street…

BTW, all opinions above is appreciated. Especially Chainsomker. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail: Can somebody who reads chinese tell me if there are any live webcames overlooking the Taipei Financial Center construction site and any of the high speed rail station construction sites? Thanks!

Give me a webcam and any necessary software and I’ll set it up on my desk – I have a pretty good view of the Financial Center .

Thanks, for your link to ORIENTED, but it should be in all capital letters (Christine has registered it as such), and include “The online network for Taiwan’s global community” as it’s subtitle. As it stands, why would anyone click on it?
I’d have to agree with Chainsmoker, though. Lots of links, but not much guts to it.
I.E. I didn’t bookmark it.
But it is a good start, and if you don’t give up on it (pet project put aside), could become quite comprehensive.
Maybe you could link to some of the ORIENTED folks’ sites, like Cranky Laowai’s romanization.com

Or Bu Lai En’s
Veggie in Taipei

or even … Dan Jacobson

I like the webcams. It would be nicer if they were streaming, though.

Some suggestions: ORIenTED, OrIeNtEd, orientED. You can capitalize it any way you like; it’s your website.

And don’t forget the
news.

quote:
Originally posted by sandman:

Give me a webcam and any necessary software and I’ll set it up on my desk – I have a pretty good view of the Financial Center .

Oh kewl. I have a webcam but I don’t have the software. How about just posting the pics in webshots.com? I heard there are now 4 construction cranes on top. Is that true and are they increasing the height?

I think it’s great you guys are getting a high speed rail system. We definitely need them in the States. America is so backwards in rail transportation. The govt isn’t even supportive of Amtrak, the only passenger rail service, and would rather have them go bankrupt it seems.

It seems the informations are only for a few of us, for “foreign friends living in Tienmou, Taipei”. But when even Oriented.org delivers mostly “a lot of information about living in Taipei”…
If living in “Tienmou, Taipei” is that difficult, perhaps more foreigners should move to “easier” places? Or is there no other city on this island?

Thyrdrail, you need to ask Poagao verrrry nicely and maybe he’ll put a pic or two up on his site – he’s pretty good at the shutterbug thing. Also, he works practically right underneath the building.

Oh, and there’s only one crane up there right now – two fell down during the last quake but I don’t know what happened to the third. They’ve recently been doing some cladding on the lower levels (fairly ugly green glass and white shiny stuff), but they haven’t extended upwards since the quake. Maybe still doing safety checks?

Yea, I really don’t like those small green windows. And to think that will be the world’s tallest. What a friggin waste. But I’m still hoping it will look better upon completion. It might take a miracle tho.

Sandman, is there one building that you like in Taiwan that you don’t think is ugly?

quote:
Originally posted by Alien: Thanks, for your link to ORIENTED, but it should be in all capital letters (Christine has registered it as such), and include "The online network for Taiwan's global community" as it's subtitle. As it stands, why would anyone click on it? I'd have to agree with Chainsmoker, though. Lots of links, but not much guts to it. I.E. I didn't bookmark it. But it is a good start, and if you don't give up on it (pet project put aside), could become quite comprehensive. Maybe you could link to some of the ORIENTED folks' sites, like Cranky Laowai's [url=http://www.romanization.com]romanization.com[/url]

Or Bu Lai En’s
Veggie in Taipei

or even … Dan Jacobson

I will keep working on my site. Thanks for your opinion, BTW, The sites your refered is added. thanks again

quote:
Originally posted by thyrdrail: Sandman, is there one building that you like in Taiwan that you don't think is ugly?

Why yes, of course there are. Many. But they’re all buildings that are built along traditional lines – warm red brick, pantiles, soaring gables, extensive use of hardwood – that kind of thing. They are still being built, but are not so easy to find.

I wish I had some photos to show you of the pottery/gardens I visited near Sanyi a few weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful buildings, wonderful use of space and local materials. Superb.

Sorry, I can’t think of a single “corporate-type” tower block that I like. They just leave me cold, wherever they’re situated, and sometimes they leave me seething with rage – take a look at the new Scottish Parliament buildings, for example. I dare you to agree with the planners who say it “fits in” with its surroundings.

Ben,

Even though the links are almost the same as they are on my website, your organization is most certainly neater. You can add my site to yours if you’d like, and I’ll do the same for yours. http://taiwanstuff.tripod.com

Cheers,

Jeff
jeff@oriented.org

I think both of you should redesign your sites to jazz it up a bit. Change the font and background colors, add some frames and Flash animation.

Why even bother adding the Travel in Taiwan link? They haven’t updated that site for 5 years - last year is 1997.

thyrdrail,

I’d have to agree with you, I’ve been looking for some decent backgrounds for awhile. I have no knowledge of flash and I have a personal dislike for frames. But I agree mine at least needs to be jazzed up a bit and reorganized.

Jeff
jeff@oriented.org

Thans To JeffG:
Thank you very much for adding my site to yours, I will be happy to add your site to mine too.

Thanks To thyrdrail:
Same to me as JeffG, once I have more knowledge of “frames and Flash animation”, I will love to try that. By far, I think …there is still a long way to go for me.

Thanks to Cranky laowai:
For telling me that I had a mistake occurs in my signature for my url.

Add frames and flash and etc. etc. and end up not being indexed by
search engines and getting blocked by users like me who use
http://privoxy.org/ and believe in http://www.anybrowser.org . Also feel
like a fool when posting to news:comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html .
Also see http://www.useit.com/alertbox/ etc.