A weekend away - bed/breakfast or homestay style

I want to take my wife away for a weekend to somewhere (relatively), quiet and out of the way. Somewhere we can relax and not see other people (too often).

I’ve heard Xinbeitou has various attractions, but I have no idea where to start looking. I would like to find a modest bed/breakfast or homestay kind of thing, nothing extravagant or over the top. It doesn’t have to be in Xinbeitou either.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]I want to take my wife away for a weekend to somewhere (relatively), quiet and out of the way. Somewhere we can relax and not see other people (too often).

I’ve heard Xinbeitou has various attractions, but I have no idea where to start looking. I would like to find a modest bed/breakfast or homestay kind of thing, nothing extravagant or over the top. It doesn’t have to be in Xinbeitou either.[/quote]

Xinbeitou is crowded and expensive. Don’t even consider going unless it can be midweek.

Are you willing to travel? Head down to Alishan and rent a cabin. Or rent a cabin in Ruili. Beautiful areas and not so crowded this time of year.

What kind of budget do you have and how far are you willing to travel?

I’ve got to agree with Mucha Man there - if I didn’t live in Xinbeitou myself, I couldn’t afford to visit. You may want to try Sun Moon Lake or Chitou instead.

Thanks a lot for the help guys. We live in Daan district (Tonghua Jie, right near the nightmarket), and we are prepared to travel to wherever (we don’t have scooters, but are perfectly happy with trains or a short hop on a plane).

We can get a three day weekend off work (Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday days). I’m happy to spend over $10,000. You’ll need to tell me what the average ceiling is.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]Thanks a lot for the help guys. We live in Da’an district (Tonghua Jie, right near the nightmarket), and we are prepared to travel to wherever (we don’t have scooters, but are perfectly happy with trains or a short hop on a plane).

We can get a three day weekend off work (Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday days). I’m happy to spend over $10,000. You’ll need to tell me what the average ceiling is.[/quote]

NT10,000 for the whole weekend or just on accommodation? Please be as specific as you can.

[quote=“Muzha Man”][quote=“Fortigurn”]Thanks a lot for the help guys. We live in Da’an district (Tonghua Jie, right near the nightmarket), and we are prepared to travel to wherever (we don’t have scooters, but are perfectly happy with trains or a short hop on a plane).

We can get a three day weekend off work (Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday days). I’m happy to spend over $10,000. You’ll need to tell me what the average ceiling is.[/quote]

NT10,000 for the whole weekend or just on accommodation? Please be as specific as you can.[/quote]

Well we’re not planning on spending a lot on anything but accomodation. I’m happy to spend up to $18,000 including travel.

In Australia, NT$15,000 would get me 6 nights here. Is there any chance of finding a place like this in Taiwan? If so, what would I be looking at for three nights? Thanks.

well, we aint in Melbourne no more Toto

our next weekend away is here:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=41579

Yes, that’s why I’m asking here.

[quote]our next weekend away is here:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=41579[/quote]

Thanks, that looks very appealing. How much for how long? I can see the price guide here, but I don’t know all the characters. Nice map too. I suppose I had better email them to find out what it all means.

Without a car I wouldn’t go to a place like that above. It looks like there isn’t much around within walking distance. You could be very bored.

I really suggest Alishan and stay in the cabins or the Alishan House itself, an 80 year old Japanese era hotel. Lovely place with a subtle charm that grows on you each day. Good food at the restaurant too and a small bar. Call though as they migh be doing construction around the hotel, in which case definitely take the cabins.

Since you have 4 days consider a stop in at Ruili. Nice wood cabins at the Roulan Lodge. Cabins should be around 4,000.

Or Sun Moon Lake. There is this quirky B&B aroudn 3000 a night

fhsml.idv.tw/profile-1.html

If you want a little sunshine consider goign to Xiao Liu Chiu Island off the coast of Kaohisung. This time of year it is not busy at all but the weather can still be in the high 20s. The Coco Resort is up a quiet country lane and has decent little cabins.

Thanks a lot, that’s very useful. Alishan is sounding good. I’m not afraid of being bored - nothing around except scenery is pretty much what we want. We’re into walks and landscape photography.

Can’t go wrong at Alishan. I mentioned Ruili, which is a little harder to get to (though if you stay at the Roulan Lodge they will usualy pick you up at one of the railway stops on the Alishan train) but there is also Fenqihu halfway up the line. More primitive than Alishan it has some very nice forest to walk through and a nice wood lodge style hotel to stay in. You just get off the train and pick it up again the next day.

Also, when in Alishan you might consider taking the morning shuttle bus to see the sun rise at Yushan just for variety. Yushan is very gorgeous.

Lots to do. Lots to do.

That’s fantastic. Now how do I get in contact with someone in Alishan? Do I just rock up there (how to get there by the way, train?), and look around? Or is there someone you would recommend calling?

MM - link dont work

You could consult the new Lonely Planet. :wink: Or you could check out this website. ali.org.tw/en/

The Japanese hotel in Alishan is called the Alishan House. The cabins are part of the hotel property and are called the Alishan Hotel Annex I believe.

One thing to remember in your research is that Alsihan refers both to the massive national scenic area that covers a multiude of towns, and the forest recreation area at the end of the alpine train. When most people think of Alishan, however, they think of the little village in the forest rec area. However, the village is not actually called Alishan but Zhongzheng. Most people don’t know this though so if you say you are going to Alishan they will expect you mean the little village.

To get there take a train to Chiayi and then the little alpine forest train (one of three remaining alpine trains in the world). You can also take a bus from Chiayi. This is faster. If you take the little train up (3.5 hours) don’t bother to take it down. Once is enough and because of the schedule (11am departure I think) you lose most of the last day.

AWOL, the link works for me.

Mate, that’s sensational service, thanks a lot. :notworthy:

What’s the food like in Alishan? Any good restaurants? How about the food at Alishan House?

Part of any good weekend away is some memorable food, so I’d be curious to know if the food is worth mentioning in Alishan.

bummer, link still wont load for me…

[quote]our next weekend away is here:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=41579[/quote]

I’ve been to that place in Shittiping. Yes, that’s the name folk, Shit-ti-ping. There are better places to stay along the coast, but Shit-ti-ping is quite spectacular. It has a rocky beach and that guesthouse is out on a flat before the ocean. It looks like any half finished architectural monstrosity in Taiwan. In fact, there are two of them there not a few hundred meters apart.

friends spent the weekend there… pix look beautiful. cant wait to visit.

one mans half finished arch monstrosity is anothers haven from tiled madness