A western oven

Date Posted: 10/19/2006
Price in NT$:
Text of Ad: American stove, 12000 NTD, exercise equipment,5000 NTD, massage chair 8000 NTD for sale. If you are interested, please call: 0915605901 or write me. Esther
Name: Esther Chen
Street Address:
City: Kaohsiung
county: Taiwan
Zip/Postal Code: 800
Telephone Number: 0915605901
E-Mail Address: talentedesther@hotmail.com

A Forumosan told me of a store that sold good priced western ovens… and he was right!! So if your looking to purchase a " real " western oven go to Taipei. The oven is a Magic Chef brand, costing 26,000 Nt and 500 Nt for delivery. This is a good priced compared to other options. It’s full sized. ( yes I know not everyone has a kitchen that is big enough, but some of us do )
Go to TAIPEI, TIAMU. 304 ZHONGSHAN NORTH ROAD. SECTION 6
The owner speaks good English and he’s very helpful. Mr. Chuang. 2833-2989 or 2835-7989

What’s it powered with? Has it got hotplates and a grill (broiler to you Yanks, I think)?

Gas or electrikery?

The oven I bought was a 4 top burner gas with gas oven and yes a grill or broiler. It has a 120 voltage electric start but can also be started by matches. You must decide when purchasing if you plan to use gas bottles or piped in gas, as he then must change something inside to accomidate your choice.

This is good news indeed! Last time we tried to get one, the bloke said it could be used for piped gas only, not bottled. Sounds exactly what we need. And a nice price, too.

Oh yes! Propane, butane, they need other sprinklers, or whatever those things are called. Otherwise your appartment could end up with a picture "after’ in the apple daily! Beware indeed! :smiley:

This store has medium-sized electric ovens (just the oven, not a range combo) at reasonable prices ($7k), so if you want something a little bigger than the average Taiwanese oven, check them out.

Near the Minquan Bridge in Taibei:
Heading east (towards Neihu) on Minquan E. Rd. in Taibei, after passing the aquarium shops and crossing Fuyuan St. (the last before the bridge), go past the start of the upramp for the Minquan bridge (i.e., don’t take the bridge; go off to the right below the bridge). Go a short block, just past a Bridgestone tire shop; turn right (south), and go about 50 meters, and the shop is on your left. 義興西點原料行 is the shop name; the address is 富錦街574巷2號 Fujin St., Lane 574, #2. Phone 2760-8115. Open 9a-9p; closed the 2nd and 4th Sun. of each month, but call first on other Sundays (sometimes still closed). The owner does speak a tiny bit of English (not much).

I tried a search on the forums but came up with nothing. I’m on the hunt for a Western-style oven, electric type. Second hand is okay as long as it’s in good shape.
Thanks!

go to the better kitchen stores in places like DaAn and TienMu. (too many to list) but they’re not cheap! usually they are built in, so you’ll probably have to get your kitchen remodelled.

there are some second hand commercial kitchen equipment places under or near the bridges leading from Taipei City to Yong He, or somewhere like that. they may have a free-standing second hand one for you.

What’s your budget? What size do you want? The cheap little ones (much bigger than a toaster oven, but too small for a turkey) are probably around $3000 and are available at all the mom and pop appliance stores as well as the big chains (RTMart etc.); for a step up from that, but without paying an arm and a leg for an import in Tianmu, you can check out the ones for around $7,000 at the baking supply in an alley next to the Minquan bridge. (See my post on previous page for details)

Yayyyyy! I found my oven! A second hand professional convection oven, made in England, UK price, £ 640 …over NT$ 40, 000. Mine, I got for NT$15, 000 and in beautiful condition!

I bought oe of the NT$7k jobs last year, and they work well.

It’s currently in storage because I moved into a house with a 5 burner range with 90cm wide oven attached. (Gas bottles).

A new one of those is around NT$60k or so, however they last an eternity.

Hi guys

Since this was posted a long time ago, I was just wondering if there are any new places or if the stores mentioned still exist. I live in Taipei and I am looking to buy a convection oven,new or old. Something at a good price would be good. The little ones at 3C and Costco don’t look all that good. They don;t seal properly, so I wonder of they retain heat. Any info would be great.

Thanks

The DIY baking store near the Minquan bridge still exists AFAIK, as does the one in Donghu. Both sell the Dr. Goods, which I like. It seals well but the sides and back aren’t very insulated so you can’t have it touching flammable items or plastic. Please see the Home Oven Recommendations thread in the Food Forum area.

thank you :slight_smile:

Hi All

I’m moving to Taichung in a few weeks.

I’m asking my Landlord to install a build-in Oven and a Built-In Microwave.

He tells me that the Oven will be no problem, but Taiwan does not have ANY buit-in Microwave Ovens.

Is this true? I’ve looked on the internet (searching on the internet for anything in Taiwan is pretty difficult anyway), and I cannot find one!

I’m surprised

Any suggestions very welcome

Thank you

So, it’s 2020. Where can I buy a western oven/stove top that is electric for the oven and gas for the stove top. I want a standard US sized one, meaning it can handle large turkeys and hams for holidays.

I found a place, but an oven costs 200,000NT and it won’t be made for 4 months. Are there any places that sell these at reasonable rates, or should I just be resigned to paying 4 times the normal price like for TVs and sound systems?

:astonished: What’s the brand?