A Whiskey Recommendation

Not as sweet as Big Red, but not by much.

And sure you can look down your nose at it, but it’s really not bad at all.

Looks like you can get a less sweet version delivered to you in Taiwan, which is a plus.

So now I’m committed to opening it and buying ping pong balls. This is spiraling out of control.

I don’t imagine it being all that great. I didn’t mind the honey stuff though so it’s just intriguing.

1 Like

You got a problem with my nose???

You sure you want to go there??

1 Like

You can get red Solo cups at Costco. Ping pong tables are everywhere. You may be onto something there!

Okay, so the Tennessee Fire Whiskey. Interesting to say the least.

I knew going in it’s just whiskey infused with cinnamon. That being said, the name “fire” lead me to believe they were going for a heat aspect, I thought they’d take the spice of the cinnamon more than anything. I was way off.

It really was like a bunch of red hots (I think that’s the name of the cinnamon flavored candy) infused into the whiskey. The cinnamon taste was strong, and to be perfectly frank it wasn’t as “spicy” as I’d imagined. That being said, it wasn’t entirely unpleasant either.

The wife liked it more than I did, but I liked it enough that I wouldn’t be adverse to finishing off the bottle. However, I bought 2 other whiskeys last time I was in the US and liked them much more.

2 Likes

Me, the only flavour I like whiskey to be is whiskey flavour, but I got a friggin stripey tail, so what do I know.

Been off the bourbon/Tennessee for a few years now, but the Maker’s is definitely state of the art, pretty superb, for a mass-produced tip.
As I think I mentioned previously, it can even be gotten in travelers at select Fambly Marts, which is a level of civilization that, frankly, gives me the willies.

1 Like

Really depends on the whiskey, but yeah. I should check out the Family Mart selection.

This is another one I really enjoyed: Oban Distiller’s Edition. Not to be confused with Omar, which I didn’t enjoy so much.

Yeah my local Family Mart stocks 20cl bottles of Mother’s Milk …er, Maker’s Mark bourbon. MM substitutes red winter wheat for rye in the mash bill, probably smooths things out a bit. It’s on the other end of the Bulleit, which is like 30% rye in the bill.

I like 'em both, a lot. (Pretty much a brown likker guy.) Would be peachy if we could get Bulleit here, too, but I’m happy that I can walk up the street a bit and find Maker’s Mark here in Taiwan.

Had a couple Oban in the states, but not the fancy stuff in gaboman’s picture. Pretty high priced whisky, the normal Oban, around US$75/70cl where I come from. Tasty, though.

ETA: my local PX Mart (another 70 meters down the street from Family Mart) also stocks Balvenie 12-yr double wood for like NT$1,360/70cl. That might be my favorite Scotch of all time.

3 Likes

30% rye?!?
So does it qualify as Rye/Canadian whiskey?
Where/when I grew up Rye IS whiskey, with about a 3% shelf presence of scotch.
I can’t stand the stuff, I literally gag if I even smell it.

Hah. It’s not a rye, it’s still a straight bourbon whiskey (by US law the requirement is at least 51% corn in the bill).

Bulleit also sells Bulleit Rye. Which as you might imagine is a rye whiskey. :crazy_face:

In my book straight rye is for bartenders. Spicy enough to make cocktails interesting, but not the best whiskey to have neat or on the rocks (I think).

I wouldn’t mind having a bottle of Bullet rye

1 Like

Or everyone in my extended family when I was growing up.
Men: with water
Women: with ginger ale or the dreaded 7 & 7…

Had a fairly bad experience with Seagram’s back in university. Haven’t touched it since.

i will suggest you to not use these types of things because these are injurious to health.

Yeah that Seagram’s kicks like a mule.

Still big in bowling alleys throughout the lower 48, the 7 & 7 is. Just a cut below the majesty of a Crown and Coke. Had an uncle who would order a 7 & 7 in a pinch, like if he couldn’t get his favorite, Weller and Squirt.

Seagram’s 7 Crown isn’t really a rye whiskey, though. It’s a blend of Canadian whiskies and grain spirits. I think Canadians just refer to all Canadian whiskey as rye whiskey sometimes, for reasons that are largely who tf knows.

That is because of the Communist-like markup prices in BC. It is not importing costs but government or in this case, BCLDB markup.

Is this real?

Of course.

It’s my favorite fruit-flavored soft drink and a great mixer, too.

Not just BC. As you well know, the guilt-driven Sin Tax mentality instilled by the dour Scots founders could easily, especially when combined with insanely usurious PST, result in booze being tagged at 3, 4, or even 5 times what it cost 2 hours to the south. Never mind what a pack of smokes cost.
We used to road trip down to Montana on long weekends and go mental when we’d get a pack of Luckys, a bottle of Miller (OK, but still), and a double shot of JB for less than a crappy Molson’s draught would run you back home.

Never even MIND the berserk cronyism of the provincial LB licencing system in rural areas, where whatever local merchant had most enthusiastically supported the incumbent would be awarded the insanely lucrative licence, making him the only guy in the county legally permitted to sell booze. Ka-ching, eh?