A Whiskey Recommendation

You’ll love this.
True story, I swear.
I worked with this carpenter who was from outside of Porcupine Hills, Saskatchewan.
In his county, this one motherfucker had had the LB licence for decades.
He had jacked the prices up so bad that bootlegging was rampant out in the sticks.
The local Mountie, as part of his regularly charged duties, would confiscate all non-licensed hootch and store it in a dedicated shed on his property.
The incumbent MP (MLA? sorry, I been away a long time) would then gift it to friends and supporters at Chrimbo and New Year’s, etc.
Oh, that Mountie?
Constable Neilsen?
He had a son.
Named Leslie.

I ain’t making this up, I swear

2 Likes

Great story. I’d heard that Nielsen’s father was a Mountie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS3LWOTCW4A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbcqg_70i-w

Leslie Nielsen? Surely, he’s from Ben Hur, right?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8_7y1rFXlUo

1 Like

In the States I bought like 3 different bottles of cinnamon whisky and every one of 'em had some off flavor or another. This was after I saw the source (Canada) of Fireball and thought I could do better in a Virginia ABC store (Virginia being a historic home of straight bourbon whiskey). I was so wrong.

Two were off-putting at any temperature, and one was close to being drinkable at freezing but really not worth buying if had at room temperature - and more expensive.

The only cinnamon whiskey that gets everything right, at any temperature, is the Fireball. And while it’s 33%ABV and thus technically a liquer whisky, it’s really good. Fine, whatever. If you’re like me, in a bowling league or a ‘friendly’ poker game (in the US) the Fireball is cheesy but pretty damn perfect.

Fireball is actually very, very well done imo.

Amen bro. I remember sin trips to Omak and Bellingham to enjoy the 1 dollar ciggies, Jack in the Box, and cheap liquor.

1 Like

Hmmm. Still haven’t made up my mind about this one. Bought it at Costco.

P_20180920_175635_vHDR_On

1 Like

What’s the damage?

I don’t know. My wife bought it, but we’re both careful not to buy things that are outrageously expensive. But it’s all academic because the rum was a temporary thing for the Mid-Autumn Festival. I personally enjoy bourbon and scotch much more so no big deal. I could see how some would really get into it, though. Much more mild than most whiskeys.

Mount Gay. favored tipple of sailors the world over. Go into any marina bar from Langkawi to Genoa to Kingston, and you’ll find a bottle of Mount Gay rum, and drunk sailors.

never had the Black Barrel, though.

2 Likes

Damn. I used to keep a mickey of this in my tool chest at work. The Jaegermeister was hidden in the other drawer.

Didn’t know South Africa produced a whisky. Found at RT Mart. Super interesting and unique- kinda spicy and sweet yet light and young, and a bunch of flavors I can’t place. Bourbon drinkers might like it.
43%

IMG_20181002_234250545

I better off with Jack Daniels. Although not a regular, but once a while its amazing experience.

There are single bottles of Bulleit Rye (1700) and Bulleit Bourbon (1500) for sale at G&G in Tienmu. Not every day I guess

1 Like

Mount Gay Black Barrel is OK, but mild tasting. Not good for mixing. The XO may be more to your liking.

1 Like

We had the whole bottle without mixing. Neat and on the rocks. It was good, but scotch and bourbon are still what I prefer.

Perhaps, but it’s also not representative of really good rum.

What is and where can you get some in Taipei? I might try it.

Jesus :banana:, will there ever be another creature as :banana:in weird as DA Coe?
doubtful

That Mount Gay XO is okay. But I’d really recommend anything by Foursquare. I don’t know if it’s available in Taipei, but there’s a guy in Tainan who brings it in.

1 Like

Can purchase that at my local for under 1,000 NT.