A Whiskey Recommendation

Looks like they’re trying to copy the Boutique-y Whisky Company.

3 Likes

Enjoying this Bowmore 12 year. Peaty, fruity, sweet. Smooth and not medicinal. It’s just very well balanced. No one taste is overpowering. An excellent Islay whisky. Got it for a bit over 800nt. I’m curious what their slightly more expensive ones are like. But no complaints. This is wonderful.

6 Likes

I want to share this because it’s on sale now at Carrefour for around 650nt. It’s a typical Speyside whisky. No peat and no smoke. Some fruit and nut flavors, and there is some sweetness but it’s not overpowering. 43% abv so you can add a bit of water to bring out even more flavors. It’s a good one and definitely a steal at that sale price.

4 Likes

I always fancy me a plain old Jack Daniel’s no.7 every once in a while. Even when I still had the access to daddy’s extravagant spirit shelf. I don’t know, maybe this is my first true love :heart:

3 Likes

Where did you find this?

At the 橡木桶 outlet in Xizhi. It’s possible they all have them. I’m not sure, though.

1 Like

If anyone is interested in joining a small group of whisky lovers for dinner every now and then, PM me and I’ll let you know when our next dinner is. We usually go to a kwai chao place that allows us to bring our own booze. A couple of people end up bringing a bottle.

3 Likes

It’s pretty hard to beat, I agree.

When I was having a kitchen remodeled in a house in Virginia the only spirit I had to put under lock and key was Old No.7. The contractors would leave the bottle a couple inches down every day if I didn’t.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Anyone know where to get a bottle of Royal Salute 38 in Taipei? For gift reasons, I know it’s a rip.

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it’s a Taiwan exclusive. I’m on a sherry cask kick with a little hint of sweetness. Pretty good.

3 Likes

I may have to give that a try. I’ve found that sherry cask aging doesn’t always result in a winning taste. I tried a sample of a JW blended whisky with sherry cask aging that had an artificial kind of sweetness, almost as if sugar or artificial sweetener was added. On the other hand, the Glenmorangie 12 that is aged for the last two years in sherry casks was excellent. Maybe the trick is to make sure that it’s a single malt or a blended malt, and avoid the blended whiskies with sherry cask aging. Not really sure.

1 Like

Try the chaps at my9.com.tw
If they don’t have it in stock they’ll probably be able to order it for you. That bottle is entering silly price territory, though. Expect to fork out around $30K.

I have some contacts at Pernod Ricard. Send me a PM if you want to talk to their VIP sales manager. If you buy a bottle of 38, she should be happy to talk to you.

Much appreciated @wcr and @rooftopclown. Markets for stupidly expensive things continue to prevail. At this point just aiming for feeling less stupid post purchase. Will follow up on both!

1 Like

Someone was talking about sherry cask recently. Then I saw this at Costco last week. A little pricey but I likey.

4 Likes

Excellent blended malt. Speyside blend. It’s a no age statement whisky but it has none of the spiciness that usually is associated with such whiskies.
Read that label on the back of the bottle for the origin of the name. Very cool.
Around 650nt on sale at Carrefour. Much better than Monkey Shoulder, in my opinion.

4 Likes

Bowmore No. 1. Aged only in first fill ex-bourbon barrels and has a PPM content of 25. So not high in peatiness. But that’s perfect for this weather, imo. Save the high peat stuff for colder temps. And the first fill bourbon casks. So nice with the sweetness.

Better than the 12 year. Very surprised by that. 777nt on sale at 橡木桶洋酒.

2 Likes

Yes, indeed. I now know what all the whisky people mean when they say a dram is complex. This has about 10 different flavors. And with 46% abv, add a few drops of water and get even more complexity.

Probably the best whisky I’ve had. Not my ideal taste profile, but this is some good stuff.

And it’s a Costco whisky!

3 Likes

Not surprising. It says on the bottle that it’s Bowmore’s no. 1 malt.

2 Likes