A Whiskey Recommendation

The downstairs should help a bit. I’ve just got a one-floor apartment to work with.

Fortunately this is only a very minor issue with whisky. It’s a bigger problem with red wine, at least for my taste; I wind up keeping it in the fridge once it’s opened.

2 Likes

no need. maybe after a few days on the shelf the flavour will turn, or sometimes i’m in the mood for something sweet. good to have a variety to choose from!

1 Like

Costco has some different choices available with Mid Autumn Moon Festival around the corner.

Kirkland Islay Single Malt. A peated whisky. 50% abv. It goes a bit cloudy when I add water so probably not chill filtered. And with the light color and dark green tint on the bottle, this probably has no coloring added.

On the nose, light peat and sweet malt. More sweetness, cream, peat on the palate. The finish has a stronger peatiness, smoke, and bitter sweet chocolate.

1000nt for 750ml. I recommend it but maybe only once. Not again and again.

1 Like

If I am going to drink coke and whiskey, is there any reason to buy anything other than the run of the mill whiskey? Or any particular whiskey that goes good with coke you guys can recommend?

2 Likes

I’d get a basic bourbon like Jim Beam etc. Not rum?

3 Likes

I would just stick with a brand that’s famous to make sure it’s not too cheaply made. Jim Beam, Jack, JW red, etc.

2 Likes

Instead of bourbon, you could try The Famous Grouse with coke.
I know I might get a lot of hate for this but either Chivas Regal or JW Black Label are also great with coke if you actually taste the difference (for new drinkers it might all taste the same) so I would recommend starting with The Famous Grouse first.

2 Likes

I went with JW red since it was only 390 for 700 ml at my local carrefour. I looked at some liquor shops before and it seems like their prices are always more expensive than chain stores for the same thing. Wondering if this is actually true or I just walked into some expensive liquor stores.

2 Likes

Full maturation (not just finished) in sherry casks. The Mortlach 16 year, which I haven’t yet tried, is also fully matured in sherry casks.

Sweet. Complex. Tastes and nose include dark chocolate, fruit, cream. Very nice. No coloring. No chill filtering. 43% abv. Just under 1,000nt.

I recommend it if you like something sweet.

3 Likes

I find the liquor stores cheaper for whiskies around 700nt and up (starting with Glenmorangie 10 year, JW Green, Monkey Shoulder, etc.). Much cheaper.

2 Likes

I tried the famous grouse tonight. Think JW has more flavor.

2 Likes

Excellent, we are on the right track here. The JW black has a very strong wood flavor on it, even the coke can’t hide it.

1 Like

Wood and smoke, right? It’s been a while. JW Green I still have from time to time.

It seems to me you’re getting decent enough whiskies to try them straight or maybe with ice. Is there any reason you need the coke?

I thought I was still drinking budget whiskey. So the few times I tried it straight or with ice, didn’t really wasn’t that good. I enjoy the sweetness that coke adds and feels like I’m drinking more volume. Seems like 1-2 shots of straight whiskey just doesn’t last very long since I don’t really sip and enjoy it slowly.

2 Likes

Glendronach definetly is great. To me 16 year Mortlach is good but not as good as Glendronach.

If you want sweet try BenRiach 12 years Sherry oak or Glemorangie Lasanta.

1 Like

Too much coke is bad for like 8 reasons. Just cut it with water. As much as you like. Cheap whisky is fine, medium range very nice. Get a cheap single malt like Glen Grant or something. Or Vat 69 or anything like that at Carrefour on a budget. JW if you like the peat, sure.

1 Like

Something I often do to make sure I stay hydrated before I go to sleep (I only drink at night) is to have a full glass of water after each glass of scotch. I also like how this rinses my mouth out so I can start again with exploring the different flavors.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the BenRiach 12. I love Glemorangie Lasanta, and the 14 year Quinta Rubin (port cask finishing) is a top ten whisky for me.

1 Like

Ja I agree both great.

1 Like

@TT was asking for my opinion on Whiskys. I’ll read the other 900-something post at a later time and for now give some unqualified reviews on the Whiskys I drank.

Glenfiddich 10:
This was my first Whisky. I remember comparing it to paint thinner Bob Ross would beat the devil out of it. I later tried it diluted with cold water and it was a pleasant albeit still a bit rough experience. Not a lot of subtlety going on but it’s got some nice acidity, citrus notes and graininess.

Glenfiddich 15:
See above but tamer. The citrus notes are fuller, less graininess and bit of earthy tones.

Balantines (10 or whatever the cheapest age is):
Okay when mixed with coke.

Highland Park Viking Scars (10):
A very good whisky to serve your friends if you a) want to show some actual taste and b) don’t want to waste your good stuff on the tasteless hogs that your friends are and who think Johnny Walker is the best because it’s expensive and there are advertisements everwhere, so it must be famous, right?
It’s one of the easiest 10 y/o to drink. Quite mellow, earthy with some spicy- and smokiness. Would definitely recommend.

Bunnahabhain NAS
One of the better tasting Network Attached Storages out there. It’s the opposite of the Viking Scars: rough and with a bite to it.

The Shackleton:
Can’t say it left a impression. I bought it because I read the book about the expedition and thought it would fit. Bottle is empty tho, so it can’t be that bad.

Laphroaig 10:
The tastiest tire fire you’ll ever drink. This is one of my favourites. Peaty, earthy with iodine and a fruit basket on top. Many say it’s an acquired taste but that one had me from the first sip. I always have a bottle of Laphroaig in the house.

To do:
Laphroaig Four Oaks
Laphroaig 16
Laphroaig Lore
Glenmorangie 10
Glenmorangie 18
The Glenlivet 10
Scapa Skiren The Occadian
The Dalmore 10
Nikka NAS
Omar Single Malt NAS
Omar Sherry Cask NAS