A Whiskey Recommendation

[quote=“Gelangweilt”]let the wiki help ya:

Scotch whisky is whisky made in Scotland. In the United States, it is often referred to as “Scotch”. In Britain, the term whisky is usually taken to mean Scotch unless otherwise specified.

Scotch whisky is divided into four distinct categories: single malt, vatted malt (also called “pure malt”), blended and single grain.

more here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky[/quote]

I liken it to the distinction between Champagne and sparkling wine; though the grapes and production method may be the same, the nomenclature is regional and informed by the terroir, the soil they are grown in.

Second Morangie for a beginner. Light and delicate but very very nice. Standard Morangie is a 10-year-old, not 12.[/quote]

Glenmorangie is on sale at Geant now for 599, down from 899.
Great price! :beer:[/quote]

JEEBUS! I’m only noticing this NOW??? Is this sale still on?
Anyone? (Geant is not exactly local for me)[/quote]

I’m not sure.
Most sales there last 2 weeks and that was erm, 3 weeks ago now.
I only picked up 1 bottle, and haven’t touched it yet. :slight_smile:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Nama -

Bourbon…Kentucky Bourbon. Yellowstone, Makers Mark, Early Times and many more.

Kentucky Bourbon

Official Website of the Kentucky Bourbon Distillers Association[/quote]

Now, will drinking Bourbon make me a distingushed and authentic journalist? :laughing:

Gelangweilt: thanks for the info! :smiley:

Second Morangie for a beginner. Light and delicate but very very nice. Standard Morangie is a 10-year-old, not 12.[/quote]

Glenmorangie is on sale at Geant now for 599, down from 899.
Great price! :beer:[/quote]

JEEBUS! I’m only noticing this NOW??? Is this sale still on?
Anyone? (Geant is not exactly local for me)[/quote]

Iris, it’s still on, I was just there.
There were two bottle left in Jingmei.
I bought them both.
I doubt it will ever be this cheap again.

i think i saw they’re introducing new packaging. probably reason. i got a bottle for 599 recently in a gift box with some shot glasses.

Where did you see that deal?
I’ve seen the gift set in RTMart, but I think it was priced at 700-800.

got it at a “drinks” couple of weeks ago. i was informed it was “happy sunday”, i was happy.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“herringbone”]Where is this Drinks place? I’d really like to get my hands on some Laphroaig, Knob Creek, Jameson, Bush Mills, Highland Park, Ardbeg, etc. etc. etc., but I haven’t the foggiest idea where to go (just got here about a week ago).

For the love of all that’s holy, point me in the direction of sweet sweet (or smokey, leathery, downright painful) whisk(e)ys.[/quote]
Don’t know if they have all those you mentioned, but they’re all over Taipei. One up on Sungjiang (Songjiang) Rd, one beside the Jingmei MRT station, many others. Their logo is a red barrel on a white background.[/quote]

Be advised, if this is your first visit to a Drinks store (as it was for me yesterday), you may be shocked when you pick up a bottle, they ring it up, and it’s substantially more expensive than the advertised price. That’s just because you’re not a VIP member. You can sign up for VIP membership right then and there, as you’re making your purchase. It doesn’t cost anything, or impose any obligation, and it only takes a moment to fill out the application, but it will result in you having a VIP card that means huge savings over their regular prices.

Thanks for that info MT.
There’s a Drinks close to me, but I’ve never gone inside.
What did you pick up there?
Any good stuff on sale?

plenty of whisky and wine. cuban cigars. short answer: yes :slight_smile: In fact, I can’t believe anyone wouldn’t have ever gone in :slight_smile:

time to salt in the last of the $590 old glenmorangie. seen any last stocks? bought the last few at the liquor stor diag across from the guoyuribao on roosevelt, they said they will still get some more in.

I was lucky to come across a bottle of this at duty free recently, and really enjoyed it. At 58%, it packs a real wollop.

I’ve always enjoyed Maker’s Mark (to echo others here) as well as Glenlivet.

My friend recently introduced me to Highland Park, and it’s not bad.

INterestingly, the Japanese whiskys are supposed to be quite good now (they have really good water there).

timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a … 855849.ece

[quote]Yoichi 20 years old, distilled on the shores of the Sea of Japan, has become the first variety produced outside Scotland to win the coveted single malt award in an international competition run by Whisky Magazine, the main industry publication.

The whisky, distilled near the city of Sapporo on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido, beat dozens of other varieties, including last year’s winner, Talisker 18 years old, produced on the Isle of Skye.

Suntory Hibiki, the brand advertised by the washed-up actor played by Bill Murray in the film Lost in Translation, scooped the award for the world’s best blended whisky. [/quote]

Like Suntory’s yamazaki 15 year old… very nice mild flavour, peach notes, lovely lingering after taste.

[quote=“citizen k”]I was lucky to come across a bottle of this at duty free recently, and really enjoyed it. At 58%, it packs a real wollop.

[/quote]
You’re supposed to dilute cask strength. Its even more vital to do that than it is for normal 40abv – drink it straight and you only get a small percentage of the bouquet and flavours coming through, with the rest completely masked by the alcohol.

Bowmore’s cask strength (on the rocks) mmmm.

Philistine! Freeze that fucker in case you manage to actually taste it? For SHAME!

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“citizen k”]
[/quote]
You’re supposed to dilute cask strength. Its even more vital to do that than it is for normal 40abv – drink it straight and you only get a small percentage of the bouquet and flavours coming through, with the rest completely masked by the alcohol.[/quote]

Yes, I realized that fairly quickly after a couple glasses of it. Flat, clean spring water with little taste or odor, like Evian, was what I found best. Would you recommend something different? :ponder: Have yet to see it in the shops here yet, though; guess I’ll have to wait till I pass through the airport again… :frowning:

Evian’s French, isn’t it? Wouldn’t you catch some kind of disease off it or something?
(I use water straight oot 'o the tap for mine, so I’m probably not the best person to ask.)

Now now, Sandman, it’s actually about the only Scotch i will do that to as A) it’s so strong it really needs diluting, and B) is sipped really slowly and allowed to warm gently in the mouth where the changing roll of developing flavours adds a certain extra dimension to the whole experience. And it IS an experience worth savouring…

it’s not a Scotch for getting plastered on. For that I’ll choose something a wee bit cheaper… like a Grouse or a Chivas or summat.