A Whiskey Recommendation

Thanks TC. Basically I drink Jack and coke, Jim and coke, scotch and coke. Rum with coke. Get the picture? SO fine palates of scotch will probably not dawn on me.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“tommy525”]
Tommy -
Have you developed a preference in your Scotch taste?
Like a lot of peaty smokyness? A little? None - prefer more maltiness?

Just start sampling and decide what suits you best.
Grouse uses different label colors - blue, black, green - to indicate age. Similar to what Johnny Walker does.
At this point I doubt if you should worry very much about age differentials.
The Glenmorangie and The Balvenie would be my choice were I to chose from your list. Not familiar with the Finlaggan.

Also, you might look for a shop that sells “airplane” sized bottles. Cheaper and you get to sample a wide range without splashing for a full bottle.

Try it 1/2 & 1/2 with still, cool water.
Do a search for “scotch tasting” to learn a bit more about how to do it and what to look for.
Great way to develop your taste and drink some Scotch… :thumbsup:[/quote][/quote]

Yah that is sage advice. This guy TC knows what he is talking about. Great advice :thumbsup: (when it comes to Scotch)

Ahhh, just go for the grouse then.

[quote=“RobinTaiwan”][quote=“flike”]
I’m in the States. It was 8:24pm, Friday night, local time. Not that Saturday mornings are too good for Balvenie. :wink:[/quote]

Had a rough morning, did you? :laughing: Everything has a price. :wink:[/quote]

Not as bad as you’d think. :slight_smile:

Not much choice at the Family Mart. Suntory, Prime Blue, Matisse, Famous Grouse, or JW. I got the Johnny Walker Green label 15 yr old. But all they had was a small 20 cl bottle and it’s already half gone. But I had vouchers.

I’ve mentioned Isle of Jura 10 yo here which is great value at $750. I treated myself to a few bottles of the 16 yo at 1200 i think for the holidays, the extra was well spent. very flavorful with a whiff of peat at the beginning, a pleasant honeyish aftertaste, very nice.

Im almost done with my bottle of Finlaggan. IT was very hospital smelling when I first opened it and actually not that pleasant. The youtube review i linked to before actually was pretty right on the money. Now I find it quite pleasant if allowing it to air a bit before drinking. Otherwise pretty strong smell of peat (as intended no doubt) and that hospital corridor smell was definitely not good in a big dosage. Over-all pleasant Islay single malt !! And yes a good value at 20 bucks at Trader Joes. Look for it over there and if you see it, buy a bottle. I have been drinking it straight. I found mixing it with coke to be quite undesirable (as no doubt intended by its makers).

lol, that would be pretty bad. I can’t stomach anything with coke, I can’t even imagine drinking a really peaty scotch like that with it. You’re right, I’m sure the makers didn’t anticipate anyone mixing that with coke, and for good reason. Welcome to the joys of single malts, don’t go back to the sugar water, just a little pure water does the trick.

Tommy525,

I used to drink a fair bit of Jack Daniels and Coke, way back when I was allowed out. My nickname at the hometown pub was JD. (My earliest memories are of sitting at the bar in my dad’s bikie pub, but that’s another story.) I come from a long line of scotch drinkers, so I guess change was always coming. I now really enjoy Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie with water. Anyway, as someone who “changed over”, that’s what I’d recommend.

[quote=“asiababy”]Tommy525,

I used to drink a fair bit of Jack Daniels and Coke, way back when I was allowed out. My nickname at the hometown pub was JD. (My earliest memories are of sitting at the bar in my dad’s bikie pub, but that’s another story.) I come from a long line of scotch drinkers, so I guess change was always coming. I now really enjoy Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie with water. Anyway, as someone who “changed over”, that’s what I’d recommend.[/quote]

I still love Jack and Coke ! My fav anything with coke. Yes Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie will be on the horizon when my “nose” for fine single malts develops. Otherwise a waste of the 38 bucks or so for a bottle.

They got em at trader joes. Along with other Highland single malts . Iv tried the ISlay, now to try the highland single and whats that other one? I forget now. They got that too over there. It will be an education. Previously only ever drank blended scotch.

Whats the main discernible diff between the Islay, Highland (and the other which I forget)??

p.s. got the name now SPEYSIDE, thats the other distinction Iv read bout.

So we got Islay (pronounced eye-lah, i just found out) and HIGHLAND and SPEYSIDE. Whats the diff that you can tell?

Some of my favorites:

Single Malt Scotch - Oban
Irish - Red Breast
American - Makers Mark

auchentoshan.co.uk/auth/

This is a good one. Not sure if you can get it over here yet but it probably won’t be too popular with the locals as it’s a bit of a mouthfull to pronounce!

After the first drink, you can’t tell the difference between any brand or label.
Have a good first drink of the quality stuff and then do what you want from there. Have a good time, enjoy and relax. Nobody is going to be puting you down.
A very good friend that is an editor for a “Wine Tasters” magazine states that if you can’t find a good wine for less than $10 U.S., you are a fool. I agree and the same applies to any other imbibations. Find what you really like and have one or maybe 2. After that, it’s all the same.

The best wines that I’ve had for about $10 were Italian.
But try a $10 bottle of whiskey and you will be feeling the difference with every sip, unless you’re far gone already, then it’s really all good. :laughing:

We’re desperate for some Crabbies Ginger wine. I’m fairly certain Taiwan doesn’t have it. I’ll import it if necessary. If anyone knows how to get it on the other hand I’d be grateful. Its to make Whisky Macs with.

I just know Taiwanese would love them too. I’d need someone with a distributor’s license to import it for us if anyone with one is interested.

Pulled the cork on a jug of Laphroaig Quarter Cask two fingers ago. HO lee shit batman. Some mighty fine sippin’, this. Mighty fine. :thumbsup:

Agreed. That’s a damn fine whisky, one of my favourites.

Balvenie double wood is also very nice, and the older Auchentoshan.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100813/ap_ … tic_whisky

Shame they won’t be cracking those open

But are ya rocking Mexican coke or the HFCS USA coke?

they got coca cola in mexico?

yup high fructuse corn sugar, its the shits, but it goes well with Jack.