A Whole New Perception of Taipei... by Bike

For the last few years I have been driving a car, riding a scooter, taking taxi, bus and MRT, and walking.

Bought a simple bike and been riding it for a few days. I am getting a whole new perspective on Taipei which I am truly enjoying. The speed of a bicycle is excellent for observing places and people and stopping to take a longer look.

Wish I had bought a bike sooner. I will be recommending this to all/anyone who asks as the best way to see Taipei.

I know exactly how you feel. And, if you haven’t discovered the riverside bike paths yet then you’re in for a great treat. They are a fantastic escape from the crowded, polluted city. I was out there this morning, before work. :slight_smile:

riverside paths are all very nice, but wait 'til you get fitter and ride into the hills and mountains! then you’ll be truly blessed, for Taiwan has some of the best cycling in the world, equally as good as the Alps, the Pyrenees, and the Dolomites, or Marin County and the Rockies if you’re a New World afficionado.

start at the tea restaurants behind MaoKong, or the 106 towards PingXi, or some of the routes over YangMingShan, such as the various branches of the 101.

I’ve been riding a bike for a couple of months now and I get worse road rage riding along the riverside park than I ever did riding a scooter. While the fumes can be obnoxious on the Beiyi road from Xindian station to Jingmei (which I usually take home after a ride to Pinglin), at least I’ve never felt in danger. On the other hand, I’ve had many near collisions on the riverside park from people riding three abreast and not paying attention, people rounding their corners, little tykes wandering from side to side, people not using headlights at night, and not seeing stray dogs at night on the unlit portions of the path.

You ride too late in the day aldirbac. On a Sunday afternoon, I agree with you completely, but at 6 in the morning it’s extremely pleasant. Great peaceful way to start the day.

Btw, urodacus, I’m sure there’s great trail riding in Taiwan and I wish I had the time to do some, BUT there’s no way I will ever believe that . . .

Here’s Colorado – perfect weather, no humidity.

Here’s a trail I used to ride through the redwoods (puny second growth here) and never see another soul.

Taiwan’s got nice mountains, but “some of the best cycling in the world”? Eh. . .

on road, not off road. good off road trails are few and very far between. on the other hand, the great Alp d’Huez climb in the tour de France has almost the exact same profile as the good ol’ 101 from Danshui up to Da Tuen Shan… and then there’s another 1,000 km of roads to explore in the north alone, not to mention all those in NanTou county… on weekends, some are busy, but weekdays, most have no traffic, thousands of butterflies shimmering around you as you climb, refreshing roadside waterfalls to cool off in, and dense deserted forests that change with the altitude.

i garee that the heat and humidity are a bit challenging at first! but you get used to it, and above 12-1500m they’re not an issue (LaLashan, Alishan, HeHuanShan, TaTaJia, etc).

MT–I have great news for you. You are wrong. Taiwan has world class riding with scenery to match both the pictures you posted.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]You ride too late in the day aldirbac. On a Sunday afternoon, I agree with you completely, but at 6 in the morning it’s extremely pleasant. Great peaceful way to start the day.

Btw, urodacus, I’m sure there’s great trail riding in Taiwan and I wish I had the time to do some, BUT there’s no way I will ever believe that . . .

Here’s a trail I used to ride through the redwoods (puny second growth here) and never see another soul.

Taiwan’s got nice mountains, but “some of the best cycling in the world”? Eh. . .[/quote]

Where is this picture exactly? I’m from Boulder, Colorado. Lots of great trails all around there. And even in the city they have lanes sanctioned off for bike riders.

Top pic is going up Vail Pass to the Continental Divide (went there from my bro’s house in Summit County). Serious huffing and puffing at that altitude.

Bottom pic is Humboldt Co., CA, where I used to live. Mtn bike one day into the forest, road bike next day up the coastline, road bike the next day into the hills. It was great.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: I’m sure there’s lots of great riding here (if one can take the heat and humidity). Taiwan’s certainly got lots of hills. I don’t have the time for that kind of riding anymore. Have to be in hte office at 9. So, I’m heading out the door right now for the riverside bike paths. I admit, they’re not real hardcore, but they beat the treadmill in the gym, still give the thrill of riding, and, if one hasn’t seen them yet, they’re a surprisingly green oasis in the city.

I still have trouble comparing riding here with California or Colorado, but the bike paths are surprisingly nice (if you get on them early, before the crowds) and I’m sure it’s true that there lots of great little hills to climb. :slight_smile:

Just my own bit.
Taiwan is far too humid for me in the summer to go riding anytime after 5 in the morning. I get heat stroke if I continue past 7:30, no matter how many fluids I have taken in before hand and during my ride.
Sure there may be some “world class” road rides, but I haven’t seen any. Perhaps its because they are too far away from Taipei to discover without racking the bike up and driving.
From my experience so far, Europe is much better, with better weather, accommodation, routes, roads, scenery, food, all better suited to bicycling specifically.
I have so far found south Germany/Austria most appealing.

Taipingshan was O.K. but again the problems with traffic and reckless driving are a cert in places of natural beauty.

OK, here’s a classic route.

LaLaShan Yilan loop from Taipei.

Taipei-Xindian-Ankeng-Sanxia-FuHsing-BaLing-MingChen-Yilan-FuLong-ShuangXi-PingXi-SiJhr-Taipei. 220 km, 3,000 m climbing, 9-10 hours. No car needed, just patience and fitness.

Thats definitely the equal of any Tour de France day in the saddle, except they’re twice as fast.

If that’s too long for you, Taipei LiuZhangLi - FuDe cemetery via Chong Der Rd- Muzha- 106 to ShihDing- follow local road 47-1 over to the BeiYi Rd, turn left and roll down another 20 km to PingLin, turn onto the 106, follow the river 10k m, then along the 43 back over to PingXi- either climb back another 500m hill to SiJhr or cruise back to ShihDing along the other arm of the 106, then back to Muzha and Taipei.

that’s about 100 km, 1,500m climbing, 4 hours.

further north, let’s look at NeiHu-BiShan temple- industry rd- over WuZhiShan-WanLi via the 29 (i think that’s the number) or the 29-1 on the other side of the valley- JinShan-turn left at the 7-11 and roll up over YangMingShan via Macao hot springs and XiaoYouKeng, then down past ZhuZiHu to YangMingShan village , turn right and pass under the bus terminal, and follow XinYi rd down to TienMu or Beitou. That’s about 90km, 1600m climbing, and again about 4 hours.

and there’s plenty of roads that i haven’t even been on yet.

the heat is a killer until you get used to it, but the trick is to move as much as you can, and use the shady areas of the road as you go. even at 35 degrees, you get a lot of cooling from a 30 km/h wind. keep pumping that Pocari into you, at least 2-3 bottles per hour. (it is more tiring at high temps as your bloodflow is diverted from your muscles into your skin to cool you, so it is in effect an even better cardiovascular workout than riding at lower temperatures. ) most of my riding all year round is done between 9 am and 2 pm, so i guess i’m just used to it now.

[quote=“urodacus”]If that’s too long for you, Taipei LiuZhangLi - FuDe cemetery via Chong Der Rd- Muzha- 106 to ShihDing- follow local road 47-1 over to the BeiYi Rd, turn left and roll down another 20 km to Pinglin, turn onto the 106, follow the river 10k m, then along the 43 back over to PingXi- either climb back another 500m hill to SiJhr or cruise back to ShihDing along the other arm of the 106, then back to Muzha and Taipei.

that’s about 100 km, 1,500m climbing, 4 hours.
[/quote]

Isn’t it Chong Der Street?

Yep. (Chong De Jie 崇德街)

Chong De Street or Road, it doesn’t matter. Regular Taipei riders call it the cemetery ride, and it’s the perfect road to take as one progresses from riverside bike path to hill riding; the grade is gentle, there’s zero traffic and the best part of it is that it’s silent (and you’re within Taipei city).

I think urodacus’ recommended routes are a tad beyond the average riders’ ability, but the cemetery ride is a good start. Instead of coming down into Muzha, one can head down north toward Academia Sinica in Nangang. The grade is gentler and the road goes through woods instead of the cemetery.

[quote=“urodacus”]LaLaShan Yilan loop from Taipei.

Taipei-Xindian-Ankeng-Sanxia-Fuxing-BaLing-MingChen-Yilan-FuLong-ShuangXi-PingXi-SiJhr-Taipei. 220 km, 3,000 m climbing, 9-10 hours. No car needed, just patience and fitness. [/quote]

Whoa, you can do that in a day? Isn’t that the Northern Cross Highway combined with a spur to the northeast?

Aiyo, Chong Der Street, pie say.

that’s my morning commute to work… SOGO to Academia Sinica. plenty of snakes and lizards n the roads in the morning, and dogs, and a few farmers with pigs in small blue trucks. and in the evening when i ride home in reverse i get to see fireflies in season, frogs, owls, more dogs (too many of them) but practically zero traffic.

OK, a less demanding route for a shorter ride:
LiuZhangLi station, along Chong der Street (!), up and over the cemetery hill, turn Left at the intersection at the top, down to the back of NanGang, follow along to academia Sinica then turn right and find NanShen Rd (109) from Nangang to ShenKeng, then at ShenKeng turn right and wend your way back towards MuZha, or turn left and then after another 5km, turn left immediately after passing underneath the freeway overpass and take the 39 back to NanGang creek, turn left at NanGang Creek and arrive back at Academia Sinica, when you follow Academia Sinica rd back up over FuDe cemetery and back into taipei. 25 km or 45km if you include the 39 country road, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on fitness and temperature. i ride that most tuesday mornings at about 10 am at LiuZhangLi station if anyone’s interested.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]You ride too late in the day aldirbac. On a Sunday afternoon, I agree with you completely, but at 6 in the morning it’s extremely pleasant. Great peaceful way to start the day.

Taiwan’s got nice mountains, but “some of the best cycling in the world”? Eh. . .[/quote]

Easily… some beautiful riding to be had in Taiwan… up and down and across the island, on and off road

… i could go on :slight_smile:[/img]

[quote=“alidarbac”][quote=“urodacus”]LaLaShan Yilan loop from Taipei.

Taipei-Xindian-Ankeng-Sanxia-Fuxing-BaLing-MingChen-Yilan-FuLong-ShuangXi-PingXi-SiJhr-Taipei. 220 km, 3,000 m climbing, 9-10 hours. No car needed, just patience and fitness. [/quote]

Whoa, you can do that in a day? Isn’t that the Northern Cross Highway combined with a spur to the northeast?[/quote]

it is indeed, and it is a very long day. not recommended for the beginner, i must admit. and best left for spring, say march sometime, as the high temps of summer suck it out of one, the winter is a mite chilly up towards lalashan, and in autumn you have to deal with lots of typhoon damage… a bail out i have used is to catch a Gong Guan bus back home from Yilan.

eating lots of fried rice along the way at three hour intervals is a big factor in success on that ride. take spare tires! and a pump! and a partner!

edit: feiren has blogged this ride on his site. His two day version is much more reasonable, rather than a pain fest at the end. (I must admit, both times i have done this in one day have resulted in cramps, tunnel vision and a less than safe final 50 km) even on a very light bike.

AWOL: is that not the last pitch below HeHuan Shan? 3,000m and the air is getting a tad thin for comfort.

that road from Puli (400m) to HeHuanShan (3200m) is 55km of pain. but stunning!

looks like you had better weather than i have had up there. i’ve had friends riding it in snow, too.

The Southern Cross:
rank.blogspot.com/search/label/s … %20highway