A Whole New Perception of Taipei... by Bike

I was up in Taipei the other day and noticed how nice it was to see a good number of people out and about on their bikes.

These cyclists were the most relaxed and happy people to be seen on the streets.

Some interesting rides about, too.

Cycling is, simply, the best :wink:

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“AWOL”]
Easily… some beautiful riding to be had in Taiwan… up and down and across the island, on and off road

[/quote]

AWOL: is that not the last pitch below HeHuan Shan? 3,000m and the air is getting a tad thin for comfort.

that road from Puli (400m) to HeHuanShan (3200m) is 55km of pain. but stunning!

looks like you had better weather than I have had up there. I’ve had friends riding it in snow, too.[/quote]

Ok, now I know what you’re talking about. I’ve driven up that road and hiked to the top of the peak. That would be a fantastic ride for the ultrafit. I remember being totally surprised when driving there at how beautiful it was – a completely different view of Taiwan I hadn’t seen before.

But, I have to be in the office by 9:00, so I’ll stick with the river paths, thanks. :smiley:

Here’s a less hardcore version of the Northern Cross, divided into three days, around 80km per day. bikingintaiwan.theforgetful.com/ … oss_i.html

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
Ok, now I know what you’re talking about. I’ve driven up that road and hiked to the top of the peak. That would be a fantastic ride for the ultrafit. I remember being totally surprised when driving there at how beautiful it was – a completely different view of Taiwan I hadn’t seen before.

But, I have to be in the office by 9:00, so I’ll stick with the river paths, thanks. :smiley:[/quote]

MT–now imagine after crossing that pass at Hehuanshan cruising 80km down hill with the last 20km through Taroko Gorge. Talk about great riding! And then you still have two other 2,500 meter plus challenges–the New Cross-Island Highway from Nantou to Chiayi past Yushan and the Southern Cross from Taidong to Kaohsiung. Both are at least as beautiful as the Hehuanshan route pictured here. And these routes just scratch the surface–there are dozens of other great rides on the back roads of Taiwan and even near Taipei.

If this was " a completely different view of Taiwan I hadn’t seen before,’ then you really need to get out more before you leave the Beautiful Island. There are many, many more.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“AWOL”]
Easily… some beautiful riding to be had in Taiwan… up and down and across the island, on and off road

[/quote]

AWOL: is that not the last pitch below HeHuan Shan? 3,000m and the air is getting a tad thin for comfort.

that road from Puli (400m) to HeHuanShan (3200m) is 55km of pain. but stunning!

looks like you had better weather than I have had up there. I’ve had friends riding it in snow, too.[/quote]

I’ll second the route from Puli to HeHuanShan and then down to Hualien. First time in the rain, second time in the snow for the last 5km or so. It would have been nice to have the view, but the ride was fun in itself.

Man I would llove to do that 80km down hill. But i only want to do downhill. So I would have to carry the bike in my car and have someone drive my car. :slight_smile:

But my bike and car are in the USA> doggone it.

OH wait, I dont even have a bike anymore. :astonished:

Feiren,
I AM THE VOICE OF GOD. Listen to me or I shall SMITE YOU! (and that’s not a nice thing, is it?)

You are commanded to take a long vacation to cycle the island and write a guide book for sicklists wanting to explore the island by pedal power. Sure, not a huge market, but at least I’ll let you into heaven.

So it is spoken, so shall it be written.

The long downhills. I just want to know about the long downhills please. danke.

You don’t need someone to drive the car; just thumb a lift off a passing lorry. That’s what I did. Got to the top then beautiful, just stunning 80km down Taroko Gorge, sleeping out at Wenshan Hot Springs while it was closed off for repairs - had to wriggle over a padlocked gate in that little tunnel before the bridge. Met 2 Swedish women leaving as we arrived. Hmmm I still dream of the possibilities.

You don’t need to be fit. I did it without doing any cycling before with a load of camping gear in a rucksack on my back. Took 5 days to get from Er-Shui below Taichung via Sun Moon Lake and Puli then up to that lovely little town on the ridge before really hitting the incline up toward HoHanShan. Got the lift from the last village to the summit. Geezer in truck wouldn’t accept money nor nothing. Reckon I paid for it in fear the way the bugger drove though.

Still rates as the best week I ever spent in Taiwan.

Looooosers. That’s like having sex with your wife without having to put the toilet seat down, put the lid on the toothpaste, take ones feet off the table, turn the sound down, get home early, clean up that mess, wash the dishes, quit drinking, change the channel, take out the garbage, show a little respect, be nice to her friends, and endure all the other joys of marriage. No pain no gain. :wink:

Looooosers. That’s like having sex with your wife without having to put the toilet seat down, put the lid on the toothpaste, take ones feet off the table, turn the sound down, get home early, clean up that mess, wash the dishes, quit drinking, change the channel, take out the garbage, show a little respect, be nice to her friends, and endure all the other joys of marriage. No pain no gain. :wink:[/quote]

/a=lll so what are you saying exactly? :sunglasses:

I only wanna downhill hommie thats all. Im gonna git me a racing team. Thems driving my bike around and when I get to a downhill…im flyin. And radioing for backup soon as we hit a big hill :slight_smile: Tahts the way to do it.Thats what we call TOUR DE TOMMY

This route in the south I’ve been dying to hike and bike for a while. Have walked a bit of it. 15km downhill with another 10km in a riverbed. Woohoo!!

barking-deer.com/jingswei.htm

Anyone have any night riding suggestions for Taipei? I usually ride on Sunday mornings, but with the summer heat I’m thinking of doing some Saturday night rides instead. Do any of you do night rides? And where do you guys usually go?

The bike paths along the rivers of course. They are lit up and you see people out there even past midnight to quite dsafe. I’ve been out riding past 10pm a couple times a week now. Temp is great.

Which parts are lit up? Last month I wanting to ride, starting from under the Cheng Chung Bridge to the Dadao Chen Wharf, but found that whole section was almost completely dark, even with my dual headlights I could barely see several meters in front of me. There were no lights on the bike path, only on the car/motorcycle road running along the wall.

Where’s the cheng chung bridge? I ride from Muzha to Dadaocheng and beyond all the time. There is a section before Dadaocheng that is dark but I have crappy little lights and have no problem riding. Yeah, you can only see a few metre but the paths are clear so just don’t go too fast.

From youth park to Jinmei is all light up and past Dadaocheng is all lit up. The Jingmei to Muzha section will be ready in a couple weeks and that it all lit up. You can ride all the way to the zoo, or for some uphill ride through Jenda University. The ring road is also lit up.

Like I said, I see hundreds of people out riding every night. I prefer the Muzha to Dadaocheng route (takes a couple hours). Lots of parks and trees. North of Dadaocheng it seems to get boring, at least what I have done.

I agree that that section of the riverside park is way too dark at night. I’ve nearly run over a couple of stray dogs. It’s a lot better north of Dadaocheng and around that Shezi Dao peninsula, so maybe you should try getting to Dadaocheng via the regular roads.

So is the riverside path from just past Kung Kuan connected to the path leading to Bitan and the Zoo yet? I recall a year back when I rode it, you needed to do some city road parts to get to the other side to the Hsientein part of the bike path.

Bitan and the zoo are different paths. The route to Bitan is finished.

The Jingmei to Muzha path is almost ready. There will still be a short .5km section on the road when you get to the end of the Jingmei line. Just go straight and you will reach the start of the path to the zoo.

From Gongguan to Bitan you need to cross the Fuhe Bridge to the Yonghe side of the river, then cross the river again at the Xiulang Bridge. It is not necessary to ride on the road at all though.

The Jingmei Stream path to Muzha is largely complete, but there is no path on a small section of the river near the Jingmei night market and Shixin University. Also they are doing works under the bridge that connects Xindian and Muzha at the start of Muxin Road and the path is blocked. South of here it is all smooth riding though.