Aapplying for a UK resident visa for my Taiwanese wife

Hi,

My Taiwanese wife and I have been married for 3 years (got married in the UK) and are planning to return to the UK sometime this year (if not for permanent, then at least for 4 or 5 years). We hope she can get a resident visa. She has studied in the UK before (MA) and has visited twice since graduation. We know that we will have to go to the BTCO (I think that’s right…) to apply, we’ve been told before that she’ll probably need some kind of interview.

I was just wondering has anyone out there been through the application process before, has any clue about the nature of the interview or has any other general pointers we need to know?

Any advice would really be appreciated - thanks.

My ex-wife is Turkish and was in the UK as an au-pair when we got married. A couple of days after our wedding, we went to the Home Office in Croydon, were interviewed separately and together, and she was given one year’s special leave to remain there and then with freedom to take up any employment. One year later we went to Croydon again and demonstrated that our marriage was still going and we were living together, and she was given permanent leave to remain. Now she has British nationality and is some kind of civil servant. It was a doddle, really, not like the bloody bureaucratic obstacle course they put people through in Taiwan.

The situation is a little different from yours but I hope it will cast some light. There are also one or two other threads about this on Forumosa. Try searching for some key words.

Just wanted to add, as I’m currently in the UK and am involved with people applying for indefinite leave to remain (permanent residency) that there’s now a requirement for all applicants to either take the Life in the UK Citizenship test, or, if they have poor English, to study and improve their English by one level.

The certificates to prove either are submitted with your application.

And it’s bloody expensive too!

Thanks Petrichor and Juba!

Yes, we know of the Tesol test and English life test that has to be completed before the two years of ILR are up. We actually met in the UK when she was studying her MA (before we came to Taiwan) and her English is pretty impressive ~ can read novels, newspapers and doesn’t need to follow subtitles so I think she should probably aim for the English life test (when we go back).

The main thing I was concerned about was what we needed to prepare on this end ~ before we move back, I know we have to visit the British Office in Taipei first.

Yes well that would be a good place to start seeing as they are the ones that process your wife’s spouse visa :smiley:

There can be differences to each persons application and processing times can vary. Start your application at least 6 months before you plan on returning. Don’t wait until the last moment then expect to get fast tracking.

But where to start…? I’m looking into the same thing - going back over to the UK in spring next year with my (taiwanese) wife, for a few years at the very least. I’ve been on the UK immigration websites, but not too sure where to actually get the ball rolling. I did call the consulate here in Taipei and got referred to VFS, who handle the visa applications from this end. Now, they say you don’t need to apply until something like a month before you leave. If you apply to VFS, do you apply to anyone/anything in the UK at the same time? And if so, what and where?

Don’t do it!

OK so your wife gets a British passport if she doesn’t get stabbed, or you don’t get stabbed.

You will have to deal with being back in the British work force and all that entails, as well as paying British taxes. Ouch.

Did I mention the weather? Don’t forget the weather.

Oh and the crime. You’ll get stabbed.

Well, here’s a few more things I’ve found out. The British Trade and Cultural Office here in Taipei do not, in fact, deal at all with such enquiries, as stated on their own website under ‘visas for the UK’. That’s all handled by a company called VFS. VFS’s website says applications for UK visas should be made ‘up to 3 months’ before flying to the UK. Which does seem to rather contradict the suggestion here, and elsewhere, that you should start the process six months beforehand. I’ve also had a friend suggest I write to UK immigration, except that there’s no one to write to. Everything seems to be highly streamlined online.

But like the original poster, I’m wondering if there’s anything else I need to know in case I’ve missed something. Possibly things are exactly as simple as they appear to be - and let’s face it, it couldn’t possibly be as complicated as getting an ARC for Taiwan proved to be.

[quote=“garygibson”]Well, here’s a few more things I’ve found out. The British Trade and Cultural Office here in Taipei do not, in fact, deal at all with such enquiries, as stated on their own website under ‘visas for the UK’. That’s all handled by a company called VFS. VFS’s website says applications for UK visas should be made ‘up to 3 months’ before flying to the UK. Which does seem to rather contradict the suggestion here, and elsewhere, that you should start the process six months beforehand. I’ve also had a friend suggest I write to UK immigration, except that there’s no one to write to. Everything seems to be highly streamlined online.

But like the original poster, I’m wondering if there’s anything else I need to know in case I’ve missed something. Possibly things are exactly as simple as they appear to be - and let’s face it, it couldn’t possibly be as complicated as getting an ARC for Taiwan proved to be.[/quote]

Yes all good and well Gary but as an Ex Australian Dipshit processing visa applications, 3 month if you are lucky and everything goes fine… one more thing required… oops add another month… need a 2nd medical add a few more…

Actually just ignore the advice… just apply 4 weeks before leaving

[quote]Yes all good and well Gary but as an Ex Australian Dipshit processing visa applications, 3 month if you are lucky and everything goes fine… one more thing required… oops add another month… need a 2nd medical add a few more…

Actually just ignore the advice… just apply 4 weeks before leaving[/quote]

It sounds like you’re talking about entry visa into Taiwan. I’m not. Plus, visa-free entry into the UK from Taiwan is currently six months.

It’s a pity they outsource this now as it used to be very straightforward.

I would press for more information from the BTCO. I would be surprised to hear entry clearance for settlement (which is what you are looking for, it’s not a “visa”) was outsourced as that used to always be referred to London. But who knows? With the state of the UK at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised if they had outsourced the entire government.

The two most useful resources I found when doing it (albeit in 1998) were the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (their handbook is excellent) and the IND’s own website. (The IND is now called The Border Agency or something similar to the American name, as befits England’s status as an American protectorate.)

The IND website: bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/

The JCWI: jcwi.org.uk/publications/

Handbook’s a horrendous price now, used to be 20 quid.

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]It’s a pity they outsource this now as it used to be very straightforward.

I would press for more information from the BTCO. I would be surprised to hear entry clearance for settlement (which is what you are looking for, it’s not a “visa”) was outsourced as that used to always be referred to London. But who knows? With the state of the UK at the moment I wouldn’t be surprised if they had outsourced the entire government.

The two most useful resources I found when doing it (albeit in 1998) were the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants (their handbook is excellent) and the IND’s own website. (The IND is now called The Border Agency or something similar to the American name, as befits England’s status as an American protectorate.)

The IND website: bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/

The JCWI: jcwi.org.uk/publications/

Handbook’s a horrendous price now, used to be 20 quid.[/quote]

Thanks LL. I emailed VFS, who handle the applications here for UK visas, and got a reply, and a link to a downloadable settlement application form - sometimes it’s referred to as a visa, sometimes as as settlement clearance, sometimes both, so there appears to be some confusion on that regard. The form wants proof of sufficient funds, which is fair enough, but doesn’t say just how much that might be. Or whether she specifically needs to show funds, or if I do. The email also said:

“Please note that UK does not recognise the Taiwanese marriage certificate, so you and your wife may need to register the marriage again in the UK”

which is something that’s cropped up here and there in these forums. If you take a close look at the wording, however, it says we may need to register again. ‘May’ doesn’t mean ‘definitely’, which seems more than a touch vague.

I’ll write to them again for more info.

[quote=“garygibson”][quote]Yes all good and well Gary but as an Ex Australian Dipshit processing visa applications, 3 month if you are lucky and everything goes fine… one more thing required… oops add another month… need a 2nd medical add a few more…

Actually just ignore the advice… just apply 4 weeks before leaving[/quote]

It sounds like you’re talking about entry visa into Taiwan. I’m not. Plus, visa-free entry into the UK from Taiwan is currently six months.[/quote]

Visitor free entry is not the same as applying for a resident visa. If you want your spouse to be able to work, get registered on the NHI and social security she will need to be a resident not a visitor. Anybody can bring their spouse on a visitor visa.

You culd do just hat then try applying in the UK for a spouse visa then.

Hi Garry,
I am currently staying in Taiwan with my Taiwanese wife. We’re here for another couple of months or so (I’m on a sabbatical!). For the last 7 years we’ve been living in England. So, we’ve been through most of the bureaucratic hoops that you have to jump through. I will PM my number.

[quote=“oxygenleaves”]Hi Garry,
I am currently staying in Taiwan with my Taiwanese wife. We’re here for another couple of months or so (I’m on a sabbatical!). For the last 7 years we’ve been living in England. So, we’ve been through most of the bureaucratic hoops that you have to jump through. I will PM my number.[/quote]

Oxygen - I’ve come across some new, slightly worrying information about visa fees I wouldn’t mind asking you about, although I suspect that given a lot of rules seem to have changed recently what you know might not fit in with the current regulations. Still, it would be helpful to compare notes, but I didn’t get that PM from you. Drop me a line if you’re still visiting the forum.

The worrying stuff: the first shock was finding out that in order to take my Taiwanese wife back to the UK, a two-year visa for her that would allow her to work would cost about £600. As if that wasn’t bad enough, now I’m hearing that after that two-year visa had been used up, she’d need to apply for indefinite leave to remain - and for that they’d apparently charge something like £800?!? Is this true?

Entry clearance for settlement was about 300 quid when I did it ten years ago and they have since put it up to the “actual cost” of processing the application. Yes it’s expensive. I don’t remember paying anything at all for the Indefinite Leave after the initial year was up though. Get used to it. The UK is horrendously expensive now.

Apply well ahead of time. Bureaucracy moves slowly. Listen to Satellite TV, he’s processed visa applications.

any news on this?

we plan to return to the UK in August - I have a job offer starting in October - did you manage to get a visa so your wife can work?

any hints tips would be great!