Abandoned housing has my attention

forget it, old post

Rascal, I’ve been going through the Legal forums to clean up some of the numerous ancient attempts to place “for rent” and “apartment wanted” ads here and came across this. The question was raised a year ago, but I found it a fun issue.

No worries, I hit the reply button of another post (on page one) before I realized it was made a long time ago. I then changed my post to indicate that my original reply was not noteworthy and thus can be deleted.

Sorry if it appeared as if I was commenting on your post, nothing wrong with that.

Interesting post by enigma.

Does anyone know the approximate price per ping of land in Danshui? Or further south a bit, with ocean views? Or of any presently for sale?

Cheers.

Anyone got any info on land price in Bali? (Just across the river from Danshui, not Indonesia!)
Is that right there is going to be a new port opening there this year?

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

About 4 years ago, I was looking to move from Banciao and Bali was an option. I looked around and checked rents but not ownership. Found some nice view properties in the 40-60 Ping apartments with great views for about 17,000 including admin. Not bad. Didn’t do it and ended up elsewhere but rents should give you at least some degree of comparison.

The topic of this thread reminded me of a story I read somewhere. A burned out hippie couple came to Taiwan about 15 years ago. They were hiking in the mountains, don’t recall where. They came across an abandoned building not far from the road. Since it was going to rain, they pitched their tent inside. It poured for a couple of days and they remained snug and dry in the dwelling. To keep busy, they cleaned out the rubbish and found themselves really liking the place. It, of course, needed a lot of work to make it habitable. Over the next few months, they spent some money to re-grout brickwork, replace some broken roof tiles and clearing the encroaching jungle. After some money and a lot of hard work, they moved in. No electricity and only an houthouse. Not sure where they got water.
Anyway after a few months, a government official shows up and is giving them hell. Seems the place was some sort of area landmark. After the gov. sees all the work they had done, they got permission to live there rint-free. Just keep on doing what you’re doing. Not sure how accurate the story is but I guess taking over an abandoned place is possible. Fix it up in lieu of rent.

It surprised me to see no one else thought to mention this, so I thought I’d chime in.

I think the question to ask is, who owns the property? Not just the house, but the land it is on. I’ve seen how Taiwanese families will fight over who owns what and who gets what. It gets even better when the property is virtually cut up like a jig-saw puzzle and everyone involved has a bunch of pieces that are useless without someone else’s piece or two. Usually the fight takes so long to resolve because of one or more a55holes who think they deserve more than they should.

That’s probably why this house is abandoned, because the land and house is owned by more than one person and the owners can’t agree on what to do with the property.