Abandoned UFO village in Wanli

IMG_20190922_163529

I’ve been wanting to see this place since I saw it on somewhere online years ago.
It’s a few bus stops away from yehliu. A couple of minutes walk from the green harbor bus stop (so if you visit one you can visit the other).

A lot of the buildings are in a state of disrepair, and there are a few empty plots.

IMG_20190922_164252

But not completely abandoned
IMG_20190922_164106 IMG_20190922_164306

Walking up the steps of these I half expected a mad druggo to pop his head out
IMG_20190922_164012

They actually look quite comfy inside.
IMG_20190922_163905

But they haven’t all been abandoned. A few seem to have been done up recently.
IMG_20190922_164337

This one, one of the closest to the beach, has a nice paintjob. There’s a Tesla parked out the back, along with a motorboat, and the AC was running. I wonder if he legally owns it.
IMG_20190922_172416

IMG_20190922_164804
Then there’s this big resort building right next door. I wonder what its story is. The area doesn’t seem like a hotspot for tourism.

It does seem like a decent spot for a holiday house though. I wonder why it went through.

7 Likes

Any half-arsed idea can become the graveyard of good intentions with the simple addition of humidity.

My wife’s saying I’m wrong, but I’m sure we’ve stayed there before. It was very odd - the staff had their own rooms near the guests. We left early IIRC.

EDIT: They were trying to sell some of the hotel rooms as permanent apartments.

I thought they were gone already. Been there like a over a decade ago and all was empty.

There were two different sites. One has been knocked.

Yeah, this is one of my favorite spots in Taiwan. Seriously, I love lost places. I have a geocache hidden inside one of the abandoned houses (If you visit and find it, go ahead and sign the log sheet if you want, but please don’t remove it).

I go regularly to check on my cache, but when I made a thorough tour of the neighborhood a couple of years ago, I noticed there were actually people living in at least a couple of the buildings (they were maintained, not falling apart like most of them).

@Uncreativeusername did you notice any signs of current residents during your visit?

EDIT: Whoops, I read too quickly. I see that you did find the few residents.

1 Like

looks like a taiwanese hipster cafe! you should start charging 150ntd for drinks. turn this failed venture around! if you build it, they will come.

3 Likes

I bet it even comes with its own wildlife living in it, for those cat and dog cafe loving hipsters.

no doubt. not limited to cats and dogs either. i saw a racoon a few weeks ago.

Nice post, but I thought we already had a thread about this. :ponder:

1 Like

Nah. All you are trying to do is to diverge the attention from the mess you and your people mates left behind!

1 Like

It’s funny this place is ‘discovered’ on here every six months and every month by some newb on Instagram.

I’m a big fan of the design , very cool :sunglasses:.
I wonder what it’s like in the heat of a Taiwan summer though .:grin:

2 Likes

I think the resort / beach holiday lifestyle is something that is not in Taiwanese culture. Especially here in Taipei. The beach is so rural, no development, not even a beach chair that you can rent. Here they think the beach is lively if there is a shop selling lunchboxes nearby.

5 Likes

A lot of truth to that unfortunately.

The different ones at Sanzhi were torn down a while back - I saw them once, so I guess they were there a decade ago.

Only a few …

3 Likes

Raccoon in Taiwan? I’d travel from the south just see one. Or was that just Rocket.

Huh I had a quick search but not much came up

saw it at this place. apparently they also have a fox. you can get your clothes washed too, all the hipsters are doing that these days.

Any ideas if these units are for sale?

The guy with the Tesla may have bought it or maybe he’s a squatter. Knock on the door and ask him lol. I assume the developer still owns the land|?