Abandoning hiking companion can result in murder charges

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003551577

I say not guilty in this case as they themselves were in danger. And also they couldn’t do too much to help except to GET help, which they did.

I know one guy who is going to prison for 6 months for a similar thing. But he is heading there because he was sued by the man’s family and doesn’t want to pay.

I don’t know if it is the same case or a similar case.

At least one of the three others should have remained behind. Preferably two so they could keep him warm and make sure the other was not getting hypothermia as well. I find it appalling, if it is true, that all three left him there. The article also says it started to snow 2 hours into the hike. They should have turned round at that point.

Plus what is all this bullshit about people hiking without proper clothing. It snowed and was 0 degrees. Big deal. Layer up people and have proper gear or stay at home.

A 69 year old doing a 15 hour hike? Wow.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]At least one of the three others should have remained behind. Preferably two so they could keep him warm and make sure the other was not getting hypothermia as well. I find it appalling, if it is true, that all three left him there. The article also says it started to snow 2 hours into the hike. They should have turned round at that point.

Plus what is all this bullshit about people hiking without proper clothing. It snowed and was 0 degrees. Big deal. Layer up people and have proper gear or stay at home.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree with you more. A total goat f*** on every level.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]At least one of the three others should have remained behind. Preferably two so they could keep him warm and make sure the other was not getting hypothermia as well. I find it appalling, if it is true, that all three left him there. The article also says it started to snow 2 hours into the hike. They should have turned round at that point.

Plus what is all this bullshit about people hiking without proper clothing. It snowed and was 0 degrees. Big deal. Layer up people and have proper gear or stay at home.[/quote]

It says there they had waterproof gear but still their clothes got wet. Strange indeed.

I mean, they left the guy for dead. Once he was unconscious, they panicked and left him there. They did not want to die of hypothermia, too, but they could have done so much to prevent this outcome, if they had had the proper training, which obviously wasn’t the case as they embarked on this ill-fated adventure.

They had the means to heat up water: couldn’t they have started a fire to keep warm? Used available materials to build some kind of shelter?

When hiking in the mountains, always bring dry clothes wrapped in plastic. Hell, it’s better to strip naked and be dry than to be in soaking clothes in freezing weather.

Not so strange: they probably got soaked by their own sweat.

Not so strange: they probably got soaked by their own sweat.[/quote]

Got it but it sounded like they were blaming their equipment. It happened to a friend, that he bought a jacket he thought was suitable for mountain climbing. Alas, it was not at the level required, and his instructor sent him back to purchase better stuff or not climb at all.

Not so strange: they probably got soaked by their own sweat.[/quote]

Not if it’s zero degrees and snowing. They were in the high mountains not sub-tropical lowlands.

You can get a bit sweaty but you won’t get soaked at that temperature.

The simple fact is as soon as the realized they were getting wet they should have turned back. And for fuck’s sake, the went out on a narrow ridgeline in the snow?

Clusterfuck. Complete chabuduo clusterfuck.

I bet their wet weather gear was one of those blue scooter rain jackets.

you see lots of over-equipped under-experienced walkers in Taiwan (often on the easiest walks) They’re all about the look and the fact they can show the best name brand stuff to their mates. You also see lots of under-equipped, completely oblivious walkers in the mountains. They’re often out in places they just shouldn’t be. You almost never see people with lots of experience and just the right gear.

Bloody nancies. At school we used to play rugby with snow on the ground in January.

I hated school. But I’m still alive. Even at 0’C air temperature I’d have thought you’d be basically OK, as long you (a) keep moving and (b) are wearing more than a wifebeater, calf-length taike denim shorts, and a yellow scooter raincoat from 7-11.

(trademark Taiwanese attitude to safety) + (old people who think they know everything because they haven’t killed themselves yet) = recipe for disaster. Awfully sad, but completely bloody predictable.

To give them the benefit of the doubt, they may have been suffering from hypothermia themselves, and therefore not thinking clearly (or less clearly than they otherwise might).

Apart from that, it sets an weird legal precedent. Exactly how do you define “abandon”? Would it apply, for example, to people who refuse to help at road accidents?

I dont think it was malicious. They were oldsters and probably not in the best of shape. They were inexperienced and untrained and when faced with such a situation they panicked and thought that they were going to be next. Probably saw a movie about a climb to mount Everest once (where in the kill zone it really is every man/woman for him/herself) and thought best to get the flock out of there. NObody wanted to go alone for help and nobody wanted to stay behind and die like their dying buddy.

And they may not be that close to each other anyway. They may just be an impromptu group with no close ties to each other. There are definitely a few people i know that I would leave behind (just kidding).

Obviously they had no business being where they were.

I think the charges will be dropped with some piesays said to the dead persons family and perhaps a few envelops fat with cash.

It is a weird legal precedent but gives some thought to those who may venture up into the higher mountains without proper training and attire.

They really should make it a crime to NOT assist accident victims within eye sight !!

by the way, its 0c outside my door right now and the rooftops are covered in ice. Doesnt seem like dying weather. But one could panic in a high mountain with just the same weather. And if you are wet, you could die.

We are having Rogue waves here these last few days. A few days ago 2 men and a young boy were hit by a rogue wave while fishing from a rock (shouldnt have been there) and the men clung to a rock but the boy was swept offshore. His father went after him but in just a few minutes the cold ocean overcame them and they drowned.

yesterday a man and a woman walking a dog were at the edge of the water and a rogue wave took them into the water, the woman and dog got out but the man drowned.

So hypothermia once set in at 0c (the ocean water wasnt much colder then that ) can certainly kill you and rather quickly.

If it were one person I’d understand, but three? That sounds sketchy. It sounds like they just left the guy there to die. As others have mentioned at least one or two guys should have stayed behind with him. The fact that they continued when conditions worsened shows the leader wasn’t exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer.

They started their hike just when the forecasted cold front had arrived. This incident is similar to that guy who got hypothermia and died in NanHuDaShan a couple of years ago. The cardinal rule in the high mountains is don’t go hiking when a strong cold front is coming. The weather will be unpleasant and very unpredictable with freezing rain or snow, and what’s the point of reaching the peak in zero visibility anyway? I realise a lot of people end up doing that because they’ve paid for a tour weeks before and feel obliged to carry out their plan despite a poor weather forecast. As far as I’m concerned, I’d rather not go, and just forfeit the costs. Reaching a peak in poor weather with no view doesn’t count as far as I’m concerned.

Wasn’t there a foreign cyclist that died from hypothermia recently on Taipingshan?
Just goes to show how serious you need to take these things. What was the proper thing to do here?
With 3 others I think they should have tried to haul him down the mountain. When you get wet you have to keep moving.
Otherwise find shelter, light a fire and one guy stay with gin and the other two go down?

I note it took them a whole day to locate the body, the knew about it Sunday evening but only found the body Monday evening? Why so long?

No. That news was reported wrong. It was a local guy who had a beard, so some passersby thought it was a foreigners corpse, spread the rumor, and the local media reported it as fact.

You see this a lot with trips that people don’t want to cancel. The victim here probably was too proud to tell others about how bad he felt until it was too late also. nobody wants to be that guy.

last weekend I had planned to drive up over Hehuanshan and camp somewhere (Wuling? Taroko? somewhere else?) but it was too cold even though I had the right gear for it. They ignored the weather reports, they ignored the weather conditions and their own personal conditions.

It says waterproof clothing, well the rain poncho I wear on my scooter is waterproof but I would never wear it hiking in the mountains since I would become soaked through since it does not breath. There is a lot of “equipment” available in Taiwan some not so cheap $$$$ but not really great mountain stuff in truth, nothing you would ever see on Everest or even in the winter in Canada. It is all about layers and the material they are made of. I was in Ali mtn this past weekend and yes it is not serious, most people are in cars, it was around 4 degrees in the morning, most people were so poorly dressed for the conditions.

These hikers did not follow any of the “rules” for mountain/winter hiking. But mostly were not prepared (with equipment and understanding).

Every year foreign tourists visit my home country and die, even though they are mere hills compared to proper mountains they underestimate how quickly the weather conditions change and how easy it is to fall off the side or die from exposure. All mountain hikers need to take precautions, be prepared. Get proper raingear and shoes, and bring a change of dry clothes.
I’m still struggling to understand why it took so long to find the body.