ABC? CBC? TBC? or what

but would i be able to get a university teaching job through an agency hun? plus, i have a TEFL but not a teaching certificate.

also, do you think my chances of working in a chain school are better, like Shane schools, which i think are British owned?

i’m going to be calling Saxon Court (who recruit for shane schools) tomorrow.

[quote=“elliotzany”]but would i be able to get a university teaching job through an agency hun? plus, I have a TEFL but not a teaching certificate.

also, do you think my chances of working in a chain school are better, like Shane schools, which I think are British owned?

I’m going to be calling Saxon Court (who recruit for shane schools) tomorrow.[/quote]
You don’t need a teaching certificate for the average buxiban. Nor do you need one for a university job. The chain schools like Kojen and Hess are more willing to hire non-white teachers than most mom-and-pop buxibans.
Don’t worry about getting a job - you will - just don’t expect you will have an easier time getting a job than a white Italian girl (for example) because of your British passport.
I don’t know about agencies. My experience has been that they take far too much of your money.

Saxoncourt are just a part of the Shane group. They handle the recruitment of teachers for Shane and deal with the publishing of Shane teaching materials. The official story as to why they were branded differently is because Shane Lipscombe wanted to sell the textbooks he published to other schools, and therefore couldn’t use his school’s name as the publisher. There may have been other tax issues involved. You won’t get charged by Saxoncourt if they secure you a job, but the job will be with a Shane school.

If I were you I’d start with Shane. After a year or so look around for something better. They’re a pretty sound employer, but as in all situations when working in EFL it all depends on the school you get sent to. In my opinion you will have a lower chance of getting a bad boss with Shane that with most chains of buxibans.

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“elliotzany”]I appreicate your honesty hun, I’m hoping that once they hear me speak they will start to change their opinion. [/quote]The average boss can’t tell who is and who isn’t a native speaker of English. Neither can the majority of parents. They’re happy to hire white people who are native speakers of Romanian or Spanish, or whatever, because since they’re white they are assumed to be Americans.
[/quote]

I’m Northern Brit like you OP and I have heard local Taiwanese claim “You don’t sound British” mostly because they base what British people sound like on Londoners, the Queen and Hugh Grant. :unamused: In the past there was also some discrimination on the fact job applicants weren’t North Americans, but I haven’t heard anyone being stung by that one for a while.

Where you from anyway,love?

hey hun, i’m from Leeds, a proud Yorkshire lass :smiley: i’ve lived down south as well too, in Maidenhead (Royal County :roflmao: )

so when i’m with my fellow northerners, i speak with a orkshire accent and dialect, otherwise my accent is non-regional and standard dialect is used.

most folk can’t tell what part of England i’m from whne i drop my regional accent.

what about you, where are you from hun? and are you teaching in Taiwan? xxx

[quote=“daoni”](I got a visa and only have an American passport)[/quote]Therefore, you would be an American born American! :fume:

Quite right! :thumbsup:
Or maybe a Taiwanese American.

There, I fixed it for you. :smiley:

Anyway… :whistle:

Why not try and get an editing job or something similar up in Taipei. I’ve seen vacancies posted on tealit.com and Taiwanted. That would sure beat the hell out of buxiban teaching, IMVHO.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Do self-described ABC’s get this much crap on here?!

Thanks for the suggestions and links. If there are editing jobs around, maybe I can find some in the south…

[quote=“daoni”]Do self-described ABC’s get this much crap on here?!

Thanks for the suggestions and links. If there are editing jobs around, maybe I can find some in the south…[/quote]
If they call themselves ABCs, yes. Pay no notice, it’s just a pet peeve of mine (and OT anyway, but that happens), in that Chinese American or Taiwanese American sounds more like an American of Chinese or Taiwanese ethnic extraction, much like an African American who is an American of African ethnic extraction. Whereas American Born Chinese or Taiwanese sounds like a Taiwanese or Chinese citizen born in America (which can happen as all babies born in the US are American citizens, but isn’t normally the case with people calling themselves ABC or ABT).

Not really giving you “crap”. :wink:
Of course, you can call yourself whatever you wish. :thumbsup:

Anyway, as to your other question, i.e. editing jobs in the south… I’m afraid you (or anyone else) would have slim to no chance of finding something like that as those sort of jobs are mostly located up in Taipei, or the north. But don’t let that put you off, have a look anyway. You may luck out and find something, or you may even find something up north that may allow you to work from home or on a freelance basis and live down south.
Check it out and see what you can find, but keep an open mind in terms of location. If you don’t want to live anywhere but down south and only want to do non-teaching work you may be disappointed.

Good luck. And don’t take our OT banter personally.

Totally agree. Terms such as “ABC”, “BBC”, “ABT” have become totally misused. If you’re American, why not just say you’re an American of Chinese descent, or just say you’re American? Many so called ABCs who have lived in the US their entire lives- there’s very little that’s Chinese about them, which is fine.

[quote=“fanglangzhe”]

Totally agree. Terms such as “ABC”, “BBC”, “ABT” have become totally misused. If you’re American, why not just say you’re an American of Chinese descent, or just say you’re American? Many so called ABCs who have lived in the US their entire lives- there’s very little that’s Chinese about them, which is fine.[/quote]
Absolutely. What’s this “African American/ABC” crap? You’re an AMERICAN. I know it’s a cross to bear, but live with it! I don’t go around calling myself a “European South African” and SatelliteTV sure as hell don’t go around calling himself an “Australian born Taiwanese”. I’m a South African; he’s Taiwanese. But I suppose this is for another thread.

Nice post btw. :thumbsup:
However, I don’t think any of us were saying that Taiwanese/Chinese Americans or Canadians will or won’t have a hard time finding work here. See below…

We were wondering (again…as we always do…) why the Term ABC/CBC or CBT/ABT when Taiwanese American or Taiwanese Canadian would be more accurate.
As I said:

Taiwanese American = An American of Taiwanese heritage or ethnicity
American Born Taiwanese = Taiwanese born in America, but still a Taiwanese citizen, seemingly more so than American whether that person has American citizenship or not…

As to possible discrimination in the job search area, calling yourself ABT/ABC or Taiwanese American will both show Taiwanese heritage and/or ethnicity and will equally result in discrimination. Discrimination against Taiwanese or Chinese Americans in the ESL/EFL field in Taiwan isn’t based on what they call themselves, but on the basis that they look “Chinese” and not “like English Speakers” aka blonde, white and blue eyed…

Anyway, it was OT banter and I don’t think any of us who mentioned the ABT vs Taiwanese American terms meant anything wrt to how being non-white (and therefore fitting into the local stereotype of what an American and therefore an English speaker is) applicant would affect or not affect your chances of getting gainful employment.

Unless I missed a post or something where someone said that… :idunno:

I wasn’t seriously upset about the ABC/ABT thing. :discodance: But as long as we’re talking about it–

[quote=“bismarck”]Chinese American or Taiwanese American sounds more like an American of Chinese or Taiwanese ethnic extraction, much like an African American who is an American of African ethnic extraction. Whereas American Born Chinese or Taiwanese sounds like a Taiwanese or Chinese citizen born in America (which can happen as all babies born in the US are American citizens, but isn’t normally the case with people calling themselves ABC or ABT).
Taiwanese American = An American of Taiwanese heritage or ethnicity
American Born Taiwanese = Taiwanese born in America, but still a Taiwanese citizen, seemingly more so than American whether that person has American citizenship or not…[/quote]

As someone who’s grown up her whole life in America, the definition for us Asian Americans seems to be reversed. If I’m x/Asian American, it means I’m an American citizen with x ethnicity/of Asian race. But a lot of my peers (at the same time) also call themselves ABC’s (etc.) specifically to denote that their parents weren’t born in America, but they are-- it really hits on the child-of-immigrants identification. I can’t see a 3rd or 4th generation person whose family has been in the US for awhile going by that acronym (though they may go by Asian American, Chinese American, etc). Actual legal standing doesn’t seem to have much to do with it.

So you’re saying the term “ABC” specifically refers to the 2nd generation? Interesting. But I think that actually is true, its only the 2nd generation who refer to themselves that way. But, why can’t 2nd generation American people just call themselves American?

Btw, we all know the meaning of Chinese American, so who is American Chinese? An American who moves to Taiwan/China, gains local citizenship, internalizes chinese/taiwanese culture/language, and lives here for the rest of their lives? Its just like “chinese american” but in reverse. Strange, very few seem to exist. Now why is that? Will an American Chinese who has better Chinese language skills than anyone also have a hard time getting a Chinese teaching job in Taiwan because he/she is Caucasian by race? Interesting to ponder…

[quote=“bismarck”]Anyway, it was OT banter and I don’t think any of us who mentioned the ABT vs Taiwanese American terms meant anything wrt to how being non-white (and therefore fitting into the local stereotype of what an American and therefore an English speaker is) applicant would affect or not affect your chances of getting gainful employment.

Unless I missed a post or something where someone said that… :idunno:[/quote]

Yeah, I guess I was taking my cold out on you guys. :laughing: Sorry.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people adding their perceived ethnicity to their nationality, if it adds to their sense of self. It’s their choice what emphasis they put on the ethnicity or nationality.

Thinking about it, the correct term probably should be Amercian Born Han. No? Terms such as ABC or Chinese American don’t really make much sense. Unless you’re on a dual passport. Crap, I’m confusing myself now.

I’m an Anglo-Saxon/Frisian/Jute/Norman/Dane/Celt/Roman-Saxon/Bohemian/Silesian Australian. I hope that clears things up for everyone. Please don’t refer to me as simply Australian from now on.

[quote=“fanglangzhe”] But I think that actually is true, its only the 2nd generation who refer to themselves that way. But, why can’t 2nd generation American people just call themselves American?
[/quote]

I can speak for all “ABC’s” but I know quite a few, to me this term actually describes something slightly different, associated with but not limited to 2nd generation children of Asians.

Growing up going to a school in a country where they were constantly separated out, teased/picked on for being different, and in many cases outright bullied has quite an impact. In the cases of my friends – as a child they tend to try their hardest to fit in and assimilate to western culture but in most cases they never quite assimilate. As a result of this they end up no longer really feeling like they fit in or belong in Asian culture, and never feel like they fit in / belong in Western culture either. As a result of this you have a group of people who have special brand/type of culture which is neither western or asian.

Of course this is not a hard/fixed rule, of course there are ABC’s that retain a completely asian identity and ABC’s that end up with a completely western identity. However the majority I know subconsciously feel like they dont belong in either their birth country, or their parents country.

I’m white and I don’t feel like I belong in Australian society, but that’s probably because I don’t have to take off my shoes to count past ten (past eleven if you’re Tasmanian).

[quote=“fanglangzhe”]
So you’re saying the term “ABC” specifically refers to the 2nd generation? Interesting. But I think that actually is true, its only the 2nd generation who refer to themselves that way. But, why can’t 2nd generation American people just call themselves American?[/quote]
ABC is a slang term that shouldn’t be taken seriously.