ABC? CBC? TBC? or what

Yes, they do. I never said otherwise. I asked why they think it’s better than “Taiwanese American” or “Chinese American”.

Nope. Not correct them on “who they are”. I never said I’d correct them at all. I said I’d “venture” (synonym = speculate; a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation) they aren’t ABC (as I understand the term).
They’re free to believe they’re Hungarian for all the difference it’ll make. far be it from me, or you, to “correct” them of any such belief. doesn’t make it any more true, though.

Ask anyone in Taiwan what ABC means and they’ll give you similar answers, because tons of their friends emigrated to America and brought/had kids.
Ask any Asian American and they’ll give you the same answer, too-- not because they learned its definition from the people “back home,” but because this term was useful for them as Americans.
Just because the significance of a term is limited to a certain population (ie. “most of the whiteys don’t give a shit”) doesn’t mean it’s not an “official” or “valid” word. And yes, the term “ABC” (etc.) does exist in the English language (disregarding the fact that it is obviously an acronym of English words…). My friends and I have used it many times, no doubt teaching it to others who hadn’t heard it before, and we were all speaking English.[/quote]
What I don’t understand is why do you (the general “you”) feel it is better than Taiwanese American or Chinese American?

Other Asian Americans use terms like Japanese American (not ABJ), Korean American (not ABK) or Thai American (not ABT). Taiwanese American, for example sums it up perfectly. American (national/citizen of Taiwanese descent), whereas ABT means a person born in America who is Taiwanese (i.e. a Taiwanese citizen), which is more often than not incorrect as they’re always posting on the flob about how to get a passport, citizenship and avoid military service if they do etc…

Please don’t misunderstand. I have no problem with either term, it just seems to me that ABC/ABT is fundamentally incorrect as it assumes the person wasn’t only born in America (and therefore an American citizen), but is also a Chinese or Taiwanese citizen. If you’re not a Taiwanese citizen, you’re not Taiwanese. Period. So you can’t be an American Born Taiwanese, only a Taiwanese American, i.e. an American of Taiwanese descent…

I do understand what you guys mean by usage etc, but usage doesn’t make it correct.

That said, nothing we say here will affect the way ABT/ABC is used in the US or in Taiwan, but I’, simply giving my opinion on the matter, as are you. Either way, no hassle, I’m just trying to understand the reasons for the use of the term(s).
Personally, if someone ever tells me they’re ABC, I’ll ask them, “So you’re a PRC citizen?” If they answer in the negative I’ll venture they aren’t an ABC then, 'cos they aren’t Chinese. They’re American of Chinese descent, Chinese American. Just like I’m of British (Scots and English) descent, but I’m not British, so I can’t call myself a [color=#FF0000]ABB (African born Brit)[/color], but I could call myself an English South African (although I prefer to just say I’m South African, which is the truth of the matter, just like no matter what creed or color you are, if you’re American, that’s all you are unless you hold dual citizenship). :2cents:

But to each his own. I’d never call an “African” American a n*****, but if they choose to call themselves that, that’s their own business.

Edit: See highlighted text above.
Thandi Newton is one of the few that could call herself an ABB (African born Brit). She’s British and she was born in Africa. Just like Charlize Theron could call herself an ABA,(African Born American) because she’s an American citizen born in Africa. She’s also one of the very select few (like Obama) who are truly AFRICAN Americans as opposed to Americans whose ancestors came FROM Africa several generations ago (some as long ago as 300 or 350 years ago and ceased to speak anything even closely resembling an African language centuries ago, whereas Charlize can speak at least one African language fluently).[/quote]

No problem, bismarck. I actually never imagined that ABC and its cousins would be so contested here. [/quote]
It’s the flob, mate. we contest everything and everyone here. :wink:

I understand and respect that, just as I describe myself as an English South African (when differentiating myself from the Afrikaner Saffas). But I wouldn’t describe myself as a SABE (South African Born Englishman, as I’m a South African by citizenship and birth, and an Englishman by ancestry and nothing else - although I’m eligible for British citizenship through my father).

As with my example above, I’m just seeing ABC/ABT as showing Taiwanese or Chinese citizenship, although having been born in America (which as you know is almost never the case), which is why I’m interested in knowing about the other reasons that youngsters feel set them apart from other Taiwanese/Chinese Americans in order to call themselves ABC/ABT. Things like “personal identity implications” etc. I’d really like to know more about and understand those reasons more.

Seems like a fair assumption.

For my part, it’s not confusion, it’s just the way it’s structured. i.e. I’m Taiwanese, or identifying yourself as Taiwanese, refers to nationality, not ethnicity, whereas Taiwanese American, refers to Taiwanese by ethnicity, not nationality. See the next quote…

Following from the above…
Which brings me back to why this is the case? And relates to the factors you mentioned, such as “personal identity implications” etc… Again, I’d like to know more about and understand that more…
If you have the time and/or inclination I would really be interested to read your thoughts on that.

So you’re not a Taiwanese citizen, right? Perhaps it has to do with the identity implications etc you alluded to above, but I’d like to hear why you say that. Ethnically I can understand without any further info, but calling yourself Taiwanese (and not American, when you are an American citizen, but not a Taiwanese citizen, although definitely Taiwanese ethnically and by ancestry) seems odd, as I define being called Taiwanese as being a Taiwanese citizen with household registration and an ID Card. As opposed to being ethnically Taiwanese (Taiwanese American/Canadian/Australian/South African etc), but of a nationality other than Taiwanese.

Thanks for your response, btw. :thumbsup:
And, as I realise some things (tones, feelings and/or intentions) can be misconstrued on the web, I’m not being sarcastic or anything. I am really interested in reading more about this:

Cheers, mate. :thumbsup:

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]
I dispute the claim that the term ABC in the U.S. necessarily applies to Taiwanese. Plenty of the ABCs (of either persuasion), BBCs, or CBCs actually have ancestry in Hong Kong or Southern China and their parents speak Cantonese, not Mandarin (and certainly not Taiwanese). It’s hard to say whether the terms ABC, BBC or CBC originated independently from each other or were copied from an original term (probably the American ABC), and it’s hard to say whether they originated with ABCs, BBCs or CBCs in the West, or were brought there. However, given that a fair number of them don’t seem to have any Taiwanese ancestry or other relationship to Taiwan, I don’t think there is strong evidence that it originated in Taiwan or with Taiwanese who had moved to the West.[/quote]
Exactly. I first heard ABC in high school from kids mostly from Hong Kong. They used it to distinguish themselves from the “FOBs” who were newly arrived. It isn’t tied to nationality. ABC was used tongue in cheek along with FOB, oreo, egg, banana etc. There aren’t ABKs or ABJs because those acronyms aren’t catchy like ABC for obvious reasons. This is why CBC and BBC are ridiculous terms that don’t make any sense to me; they’re just bastardizations of a schoolyard joke. Saying, “I’m ABC,” is pretty much equivalent to saying, “I’m AZN.”

Charlie: You get both an elephant stamp and a gold star for work well done. :slight_smile:

bismark: This begs the question of why you’re in Taiwan instead of Europe, if you can get a British passport. I’m not saying you’d have to be in Britain. Good God no, that might be almost too much to bear. Four of my cousins can get Dutch passports through their father, and one of them has finally figured out that she doesn’t have to necessarily live or work in the Netherlands (though I don’t think that would be so bad). If I could get an E.U. passport, I’d be on the first plane to Copenhagen or Prague. My sister was born in England (we lived there for five years when I was a kid, starting when I was six months old). I can’t remember whether she’s actually bothered getting British citizenship, but she should. She speaks fluent French and is really into that and is also in a semi-bureaucratic career, so I don’t know why she hasn’t got herself a job somewhere in the E.U. It has to be better than living and working in Sydney, the only thing worse than which might be living and working in the U.K. :raspberry: Maybe she, like three of my cousins, hasn’t figured out that there are 27 countries in the E.U.

Naijeru: Well, the terms BBC and ABC are both kind of cute in that they represent broadcasters. Don’t know about CBC, but I’d hazard a guess that that’s also a broadcaster or some other major company in Canada. It’s kind of like the line in Groundhog Day where Bill Murray says he’s not the God, but is a god. You could say, I’m not the BBC, but I am a BBC.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]Charlie: You get both an elephant stamp and a gold star for work well done. :slight_smile:[/quote] Thank you, Teacher. How many elephant stamps do I need to get me one of them Doraemon erasers I saw in the prize case? :slight_smile:

Not interested in the least. Besides, it’s good for my lifetime, and my son would still qualify via my father (his grandfather).

I’m here by choice. Not because I have no other choice.

Another thing. Seeing as I’m applying for Taiwanese citizenship, if I had it already I would have to renounce it, so wouldn’t be wise to have it now anyway. But, mostly, I really am where I want to be and where I’m happy.

WoW!! Great going Bis. It isn’t everyday you hear from people that they’re happy!!!

WoW!! Great going Bis. It isn’t everyday you hear from people that they’re happy!!![/quote]

Most of the people who live in this country are happy. I’m happy everyday. If you are alive that should be enough reason to be happy.

But I will be happier when Bismarck becomes just another local Taiwanese :smiley: :smiley:

My wife was in Prague last week, she said lovelly place, but the people are not so friendly and too many pikies everywhere. So now she is on her way to Slovenia. She also says the American tourists are too loud and rude. One American was complaining the breakfast joint would not accept US$ cash and wanted Euro.

Bismarck and I don’t really want to be in Europe, maybe that’s why we are in Taiwan, trying dutifully to help the population growth.

WoW!! Great going Bis. It isn’t everyday you hear from people that they’re happy!!![/quote]

Most of the people who live in this country are happy. I’m happy everyday. If you are alive that should be enough reason to be happy.

But I will be happier when Bismarck becomes just another local Taiwanese :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]
So will I. Then I’ll be an SABT (South African Born Taiwanese). :thumbsup:

So will I. Then I’ll be an SABT (South African Born Taiwanese). :thumbsup:[/quote]

Nah, no short term names for you Bismarck.

Following from the above…
Which brings me back to why this is the case?[/quote]

It seems to me that the designations “American-born Chinese” and “Australian-born Chinese” were coined by white people a long time ago:

[quote]The [California State] Assembly had already passed the [State] Senate’s amendment for depriving
[color=#FF0000]American-born Chinese [/color]
and Japanese of the franchise. It is further proposed that no native of the United States whose father was or is ineligible for citizenship shall exercise the franchise in this state.[/quote]–“Cable News”, Poverty Bay [NZ] Herald, February 16, [color=#FF0000]
[/color]

[quote][color=#FF0000]
Australian-born Chinese
[/color]being entitled to the vote, it is clear that any considerable immigration of prolific Chinese parents might in one or two generations result in a population of Australian-born Chinese sufficiently numerous to swamp the white voters. All the more reason, therefore, adds the Telegraph, to maintain the policy of white Australia with the utmost possible vigilance.[/quote]–“The Status of Australian-born Chinese,” Wanganui [NZ] Herald, May 11, [color=#FF0000]
[/color]

So it looks like 'way-back-when, some white folks stuck this label on them, and now yonder come some white folks to tell them that it’s wrong for them to wear the label that the white folks stuck on them.

:unamused: First of all, as I’ve stated before, no one (at least not me, seeing as you keep quoting me, even though my posts aren’t directed at you, seeing as you aren’t ABC/CBC/BBC or even Taiwanese/Chinese American/Canadian/Brit) is saying they can’t use the term.

Secondly, I asked Daoni why he/she uses the term to try and understand the reasoning behind it.

:unamused: First of all, as I’ve stated before, no one (at least not me, seeing as you keep quoting me, even though my posts aren’t directed at you, seeing as you aren’t ABC/CBC/BBC or even Taiwanese/Chinese American/Canadian/Brit) is saying they can’t use the term.

Secondly, I asked Daoni why he/she uses the term to try and understand the reasoning behind it.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn’t know this was a private discussion. I’ll butt out now.

There are many different kinds of “American tourists”. The one complaining about the money must have been a fool – I’ve never used US dollars anywhere outside the US, and I don’t know why anyone would try…

There are many different kinds of “American tourists”. The one complaining about the money must have been a fool – I’ve never used US dollars anywhere outside the US, and I don’t know why anyone would try…[/quote]
Ok, let’s discuss “American Born Tourists” for a moment… :smiley:

Secondly, I asked Daoni why he/she uses the term to try and understand the reasoning behind it.[/quote]

Sorry, I didn’t know this was a private discussion. I’ll butt out now.[/quote]
Ah come now, CJ. Don’t be like that. :wink:

I’ve never been to Cancun around the time of spring break, or wherever else Americans really get into full bloom, but I think they get a really bad rap. The worst, most obnoxious, clueless American tourists I’ve ever seen are nowhere near as bad as the worst Britain, Australia and China have to offer. I think it’s pretty neck and neck for who is worse, chavs on tour or barbarians from the Middle Kingdom, but the Yanks aren’t even in the showing.

CBCers = China born Chinese? As opposed to Taiwan Born Chinese (TBC) or Taiwan Born Taiwanese (TBT)?

you’re a youngster?
Canadian-born Chinese. Lots of 'em back then.

Tell, how many of these so-called CBCs or ABCs still have “China” passports? I think that’s the litmus test. If they don’t, they shouldn’t be called Chinese at all. At best, they’re ethnic Chinese.