ABC? CBC? TBC? or what

These are commonly accepted terms. Are you trying to reengineer the language?

Yes, how dare they try and pass as Chinese…:doh:

A lot of ABC/CBC aren’t exactly “Chinese” as in they are from the PRC. Hence the American/Canadian part.

Commonly accepted where? Taiwan, California, and a few other places. That’s about it. Not even common in east coast USA or other parts of Asia (generally speaking).

exactly. nearly all or most of ABCers/CBCers had Taiwanese parents. it was early 90s. Nearly all had family here in Taiwan, too

You go on ahead and change everyone to saying “ABEC” and “CBEC”

G’head, g’head

Actually, I prefer the terms “Chinese-American” or “Chinese-Canadian”. Just like Irish-American, Italian-American, etc etc.

Oh horseshit, they are so.

Well, we’re in Taiwan. Good luck in your language crusade. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I see the angle here, but super ironic that PRC isn’t considered “Chinese”. And that Taiwan(ese) is.

Which are fine and understandable. I don’t see the issue here? What if I’m Born in Taiwan and became an American. Wouldn’t Taiwanese born American be more specific?

Four people replying at once…this shit’s about to go off…

That English form, just so you know, refers generally to native born nationals of Chinese origin. Different deal altogether.

And, FWIW, I never met one who had any problem with the CBC/ABC designation.

Yes, yes and yes!

Yes, I like that. Taiwanese Born American totally fine.

they’re PRCers or ChiComms. Take your pick.

Oh, so for you it’s the Chinese part that you object to for People of Taiwanese heritage?

I mean if people say I’m ethnically Chinese I’m not mad. And I’m extremely pro independence.

I’m a bit confused. So what’s the difference between American Born Chinese (ABC) and Chinese-American? Some so-called ABCs aren’t even born in the USA and they don’t even hold a China passport. So they are neither American-Born nor “Chinese”.

No problem with that either, I mean China Born American is totally fine. If you consider Taiwan to be “China” which some will object to but I’m personally fine with that too.

This is highly problematic. I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Ministry of Information.

3 Likes