ABC learning Chinese in Taipei?

Hey guys,

I will be back in Taipei until late February so I thought to brush up on my Chinese skills. Im in Chinese III at school so thats three years of college in Chinese. I speak it at home and with friends so I consider myself fluent. Are there any classes that are available? Please help me, Im bored as heck at home :cry:

Hi, and welcome to Forumosa! :slight_smile:
Please check the list of frequently asked topics HERE: See the Studying Mandarin Chinese in School list on that page for links to the relevant threads.

Those tell a bit about the programs available. I guess the next question will be, are there any classes advanced enough for you, right? Others can answer that better than I can, but why don’t you let us know a bit more about what level you’re at in terms of, say reading and writing. And what is it you want to focus on?

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Hi, and welcome to Forumosa! :slight_smile:
Please check the list of frequently asked topics HERE: See the Studying Mandarin Chinese in School list on that page for links to the relevant threads.

Those tell a bit about the programs available. I guess the next question will be, are there any classes advanced enough for you, right? Others can answer that better than I can, but why don’t you let us know a bit more about what level you’re at in terms of, say reading and writing. And what is it you want to focus on?[/quote]
Thanks for the help! I am looking for basically classes more focused on reading. I guess advanced chinese? More newspaper reading and such. Im not at a native level but most defiantly fluent.

Reading wise I know around 1500-2000 characters (at least by the standard in my Chinese textbook). Writing of course is a bit more of a struggle. I also want to be able to read menus and such because that sort of thing isnt really taught in a textbook Chinese class…pretty embarrasing when I can understand an article but cant read a basic menu…

Well, but you can always learn menus by just taking a dictionary and check whats written in the menu. Then you also get the food which interests you (and you exactly know what is what).

I think that is better than having the stuff delivered in a textbook.