ABC with no DEGREE

Hi! what are the chances of an ABC/CBC with no degree…but just taking a year off in university …of finding a job??? i’m really worried about this…pleasae give me some much needed advice…thanks

It won’t be easy, but you should be able to find something. Taiwan is pretty descriminatory in the hiring of english teachers. Two things that definately count against you are the fact that you’re an ABC, and no degree. Most employers want a white face, full stop. Sad, but true. Hey, this is Taiwan.

I agree with Amos. Ability often is less important than looking like what the customer expects. White faces are in, Asian features automatically make you a non-native speaker. Sad but true.

I believe you need a degree to be officially hired as a teacher. It’s a requirement to get an ARC. But many people work unofficially and stay here as students. I wouldn’t think a degree will be that big a barrier.

Actually, my school has a number of Chinese teachers, and is run by a Candian-Chinese lady. PM me and I’ll put you in touch.

You would definitely be able to get some kind of work teaching English. It’s true that some people may prefer a “foreign” face, especially schools that use native speaking teachers as a marketing angle. Imagine going to a Chinese restaurant in the States and seeing that the cooks aren’t Chinese… it doesn’t mean the food isn’t authentic, but you’d have more doubts at first glance. (Of course, I know that most Chinese restaurants in the US don’t serve “authentic” Chinese anyway in order to appeal to local tastes, but that’s beside the point.)

It’s also true that, technically, you need a college degree to legally work at a school, but there are schools that work around such requirements (I don’t know how, so don’t ask).

You could also consider private tutoring. You only need to find a few regular, well-paying students to support your basic expenses. I tutored a few American school students a few years back, basically babysitting while they did their homework. Easy, boring, good money.

If you speak Chinese or Taiwanese, it’s a good advantage for you. Also, if you have any connections in Taiwan, let them know that you’ll be looking for work. Chances are that someone knows someone who wants a teacher.

You might also consider what kind of experience you are looking for. If you want to live life as a “local,” don’t teach English. Volunteer if you have to, and work in an all Chinese workplace (though that could be hard to set up without some kind of connections… and certainly if you don’t speak Chinese or Taiwanese). If you want to study the language, don’t teach English either. Spend your time taking classes and using the language. Chinese class at the MTC is also a good way to meet up with other ABCs/CBCs. I’m not discouraging teaching, but I’m asking you to consider how it fits into your overall reason for being in Taiwan. While it does provide an income, it also takes time and energy away from any other pursuits. If you haven’t any other specific goals, then teaching English IS probably the most practical, straight-forward way to support yourself in Taiwan.

Regardless, it will take some time to find work and it may take awhile to get enough hours of work to fully support yourself, so be sure to bring enough money to get you through two to three months. Best of luck to you! When are you thinking of going?

i think ckvw brings up some good points. why do you want to come to taiwan? if your main goal is to learn the culture and language, how much can you really learn if you are teaching? how much fun will you have if you’re going to be working? do you even like teaching?

i don’t know that much about teaching in taiwan as i don’t teach, but isn’t it illegal to teach without a degree? i know people can still find jobs teaching without a degree, but it’s also important for you to know if it’s legal or not.

if it is illegal, then you may have less selection in what schools you can teach in (i am assuming there are those unwilling to hire illegally). your employer may also use that leverage to give you less desired time spots or something. again, i don’t know that much about teaching in taiwan, but these are questions you should consider/ask. it all depends on your what you plan to achieve. if you want this to be a semi-break/vacation, you may not want to teach.

(oh…and yes, i am too lazy to use the shift key :wink: )