ABCs Going Back to the Motherland

My friend and I are planning to go to Taiwan or China sometime in January/February to teach English for a year. We want to be able to travel around Southeast Asia in our free time while supporting ourselves abroad by teaching or through some other form of gainful employment. I have some experience as a writing tutor and conversation partner to Japanese foreign exchange students but no TEFL or teaching experience with a class. My friend speaks fluent Mandarin and has volunteer experience teaching an English classroom in Finance but no TEFL or prior language teaching experience to a class of Mandarin speakers. She has more experience as a data analyst in a mid-cap company in America and can go in the direction of teaching or analyst jobs in Taiwan. Because neither of us have TEFL and substantial experience teaching a class, I’m assuming we’ll probably go to a chain school to teach.

Does anyone know of any opportunities for two American born Chinese gals like us? We’d like to live somewhere Mandarin speaking (I’m looking to take Chinese classes while I’m there) so does anyone know any good branches in the outer ring of Taipei?

You guys will have no problem finding teaching gigs. However, real finance jobs do not exist in Taiwan. So your friend can forget about an IB job.

[quote=“funksoulbrutha”]
Does anyone know of any opportunities for two American born Chinese gals like us? We’d like to live somewhere Mandarin speaking (I’m looking to take Chinese classes while I’m there) so does anyone know any good branches in the outer ring of Taipei?[/quote]

Taipei is also Mandarin speaking you know. Also, financially speaking you would get more opportunities here in Taipei and probably better pay.

That’s an ambitious list for one year. Hope you have a decent pile of cash.

The job market in Taiwan has stagnated at best. Newbies have continued to stream in, but because of the economic slowdown, old hands have been very reluctant to go back. Result? Stagnant market with lots more people looking for jobs… Who does that hurt most? Newbies like you guys.

You might want to think about China. If you do Taiwan, DO NOT WORK WITH HESS. Sure, its tempting because they recruit from abroad and will respond to your e-mails promptly. They’re also not racist against Asian-Americans… HOWEVER, you’ll be slammed with unpaid work and will find it very, very difficult to get the time off to do all that country-hopping you want.

I was a newbie here last year.

It’s very difficult to find an english teaching job as an asian looking male in Taipei, regardless of TEFL certification. Most posters here are white and fairly old so they won’t tell you that.
Oh yeah you are females. It may or may not work out for you guys.

There’s information about it on the board (but it might be nice to have some kind of sticky on it):

[quote]She said, “I’m sure you are an excellent teacher, but I had no idea you are Asian. We don’t hire Asians here.”[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 1#p1300891

[quote]. . . they rejected me because the interviewer claimed that I am “Chinese” and not a “Westerner. . . .”[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 7#p1300567

[quote]I’ve noticed this now and again, schools advertising for teachers that specify ‘caucasians only’ or ‘Western looking’ (whatever that is). [/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 23#p216023

[quote]Am I, an Asian-American with many years of ESL teaching experience, applying for jobs in some wrong way to wrong schools or do they just want no Asian teachers period?

I had several interviews and did the demos. They all loved me, but told me that I lack in one aspect…I’m not Caucasian.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 25#p473925

[quote]Last week, out of the blue she asked me why I had a Chinese last name. I informed her it is because I am an American born Chinese. I asked her to tell me honestly if my ethnicity would be a problem at her school. I of course felt the principal should have known by my last name that I am an ABC, but as she stated, her school had never had a foreign teacher before.

She sent me a reply stating that as long as I am a good teacher I will be welcome at her school. Then the next 5 days went by without any contact from her.

Suddenly today, she sent me an email stating that she is very sorry but she talked it over with her staff and she will not be offering me the contract after all and that they will instead hire another FET…[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 6#p1304376

[quote]Years ago my husband and I were looking for teaching jobs. I - non native speaker and my husband - English native speaker. We got a phone call that there was a school that was looking for a couple.
We came for the interview. We wrote language test. I made one mistake and my husband none.

I was hired. My husband not.
I am white and my husband isn’t white.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 1#p1304381

[quote]. . . in Taiwan your race may be taken into consideration as many Chinese cram schools expect English teachers to be caucasion.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 4#p1191754

[quote]I think being an ABC is a challenge. . . .[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 44#p832744

[quote]I have no way of knowing if it was the ABC thing that didn’t get me placed at Hess (could easily have been something else on my app), but that’s the reason I’ve been given at nearly every other school I’ve called or emailed.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 88#p837088

[quote]I’m very thankful now that I had no luck finding anything teaching or writing.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 10#p844610

[quote]Reverse discrimination in jobs.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 72#p749472

[quote]She got a job teaching English when we were in Taiwan but was fired because too many parents complained that a “Chinese person” was teaching their children English. Nevermind that my wife speaks English with a North American accent, speaks only basic Mandarin, knows very little about Chinese culture, and considers herself American. The ignorant parents wanted a white face, and she didn’t fit the mold.

And this was in Taipei. I question whether Taichung or any place in Taiwan at all is truly “friendly” to FBC English teachers. [/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 27#p750527

[quote]Speaking Chinese will probably not be an asset finding an EFL teaching job here. Being Asian might also make it more challenging. In so many cases, we are window dressing, so race is often used as a marketing tool.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 6#p1427866

From this month (please note that I’m merely quoting the passage immediately below; I say this because I don’t know whether or not the law protects all foreign-born Chinese from discrimination):

[quote]For anyone interested in the topic of hiring discrimination for ESL jobs, please visit our Facebook group page below. I started this page in an effort to help any ABC’s/CBC’s, and any other “non-white” faces who have been discriminated against by arming you with information on how to take action against such backwards, ignorant attitudes, as well as a supportive community who truly understands what you are going through.

The law in Taiwan protects us from this, but it’s up to you to take action.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 2#p1475552

But apparently some foreign-born Chinese get hired:

[quote]Hey, I’m CBC and I was able to find work within a week of looking. I did expereince a few schools who wouldn’t even accept my resume. But who wants to work for a racist school anyways? If you give a good demo, and have a four year degree, good schools will not care. In general, being CBC is not a bonus, but there’s enough opportunity so you’ll find a good job. Just hang in there, and don’t settle.[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 95#p762495

[quote=“noamchomsky”]It’s very difficult to find an english teaching job as an Asian looking male in Taipei, regardless of TEFL certification. Most posters here are white and fairly old so they won’t tell you that.
Oh yeah you are females. It may or may not work out for you guys.[/quote]

Boy oh boy is that ever true. I tried my best to hint at it in my above thread, but yeah. Native speaking Asians have their work cut out for them here in Taiwan. No doubt.

I’d disagree. All my asian american friends (4 of them.) got decent teaching gigs within a month or two of searching. and that’s just earlier this year. You probably don’t want to work at a buxiban that doesn’t realize Asian Americans are just Americans anyway.