Aboriginal restaurants in Greater Taipei

I can’t believe there isn’t a thread about this yet, but I can’t find one. This is mainly prompted by @Brianjones and @afterspivak’s points about how good roast pig can be here. But is that sort of food available in Taipei at all, or do we need to head outside of the city to get it?

So: any recommended aboriginal restaurants in the Taipei area, in particular with roast pig? And if not, where is a good place to get it?

For what it’s worth there was an aboriginal restaurant / bar in Tainan, called Hudlavoos. Went there a fair bit around the year 2000 - no idea if it’s still around, but I can’t find any recent online information about them. I only recall having smaller dishes there - sanbei mountain rat, I think? Lots of tasty dishes, but for obvious reasons the rodent was more memorable.

5 Likes

Toasted mountain rat you say …mmm.
I remember Taiwan used to have quite a few aboriginal themed restaurants ,sometimes made out of driftwood.
I don’t know of anything similar in the Taipei area.

1 Like

They use a fancy name for the rat so they can charge you more, it’s probably just from the kitchen.

1 Like

Dunno. It was fine. I’ve eaten rat in a few different countries, always in supposedly traditional contexts. Never had an issue with it, except for the same issue as snake or chicken feet: the meat / bone ratio makes eating more of a hassle than I’d like.

Probably paywalled article about Cambodian rats being exported to Vietnam:

2 Likes

Yeah Vietnam is definitely the country that pops up in my mind when I’m thinking about eating rat.

I would like to put small birds on that list.

Now what about aboriginal style bamboo tube rice in Taipei?

1 Like

By the way I know some Hakka restaurants that do Hakka style roast pig also…But not in Taipei either.

2 Likes

True. Not even that small: I think it was pigeon that gave me the same feeling? Left half uneaten because it was too much trouble.

Yeah, that’s the one I’m really after - not sure if that’s the same as the roast pig others refer to. I had pork and rice cooked this way in Sulawesi, and it was one of the best meals of my life. Not sure how similar or different it is to the food here.

Anyone?

Care to share?

Agree. But it’s not easy to find this kind of delicious country cooking in the city!

Guy

1 Like

Any good ones in Taipei?

1 Like

Not easy to find they pop up at festivals and events.