Abortion to choose gender in Taiwan

Original Title: Abortion to choose child sex in Taiwan.

In that case you should not be alowed to have kids

In that case you should not be alowed to have kid’s[/quote]

Yessss mate! I can’t agree more!

Way to easy to have kids. No exam and one don’t even need a license.

Way to easy to have kids. No exam and one don’t even need a license.[/quote]

But who wants to live in a world where you need to have an exam and a license anyway?

Way to easy to have kids. No exam and one don’t even need a license.[/quote]

But who wants to live in a world where you need to have an exam and a license anyway?[/quote]

Dunno, why don’t you ask all the fucked up kids whose parents never really wanted to BE real parents?

I don’t think having to get a license is a bad idea at all. The problem would come with enforcing that which would be nigh impossible.

Bodo

Stop ripping off the movie Parenthood.

I honestly don’t get the title of this thread. Why are the words “child sex” used?

Can somebody please change the title to something more sensible? Mods, please?

I mentioned this on another thread but will say it again. I was disgusted when my wife and I found out the sex of our child and the doctor hinted that we could have an abortion if we weren’t happy with the result.

The situation is far worse in China though. I read in Time magazine last year that the ratio of men:women was 119:100. And it was only at that time (about a year ago) that the practice of having an abortion based on the sex of the child became illegal. It’s pretty hard to control this though, as it is now possible to know the sex of the child long before it becomes illegal to have an abortion.

I am waiting for this to turn into a complete flame war.

Seems to me I remember this selective murder of female fetuses (fetii?) being big news in the PRC a while back. And I think it also made the news in India.
Maybe in another country or 2…I do not remember the details.

Anyone think CNN will pick up on this sex-specific genocide happening here on the island?
Will the ‘Womens Rights’ groups protest this?
Will sale of ultra-sound machines be restricted?

The imbalance in China will work in their favor once they decide to invade Taiwan. I think it’s someting like 13 million excess men.

Though I’m a staunch advocate of reproductive freedom, I am disgusted by the idea of aborting simply because of the frivolous reason of not liking the sex of the fetus. Some things should be left to nature.

This reminds me of Jan. 1, 2000, when I saw a news item about women in China who wanted to be among the first to give birth in the “new millennium” (notwithstanding the fact that the new millennium didn’t start until a year later): the women were lying in hospital wards, and at the stroke of midnight the doctors gave them C-sections and everyone was happy, seeing nothing wrong with the situation. Woohoo! Legitimate first babies of the millennium!! Yowza! :loco: Though C-sections are often medically necessary, using one for the frivolous reason of determining the time of birth is cheating. If I worked for the Guinness Book of Records I would look for the first natural birth.

I don’t know about these days, but it used to be all but routine - c-section in order to deliver on an auspicious day.

But the practice of “sex selective abortion” (sometimes called

[quote=“Hongda”]The imbalance in China will work in their favor once they decide to invade Taiwan. I think it’s someting like 13 million excess men.[/quote]13 million very backed-up, very on-edge men at that.

In the PRC, it is now illegal to have an ultrasound unless it is medically necessary. In hospitals, an ultrasound technician is not allowed to do one without a colleage present in order to prevent the technician from telling the mother the gender of the baby. In most cities, this practice has probably been pretty successful, but I doubt it has worked in the countryside where clinics, hospitals and doctors are strapped for cash. Even if policies were followed in hospitals, parents would still be able to find out the gender of their baby outside. There are plenty of dickheads with a mianbaoche and a cheap ultrasound machine in the back who will check the gender of a baby for a couple of hundred bucks. The government cracks down on these people hard when they’re caught, but demand for ultrasound exams is so high that there will always be some asshole with a smuggled machine who will be willing to do it. I’m not sure if it is a nationwide program or not, but I know that at least in the cities there are plenty of subsidies available for parents who have daughters. I don’t think it will make a substantial difference, though. As long as the one child policy is still in place and people still perceive that future security requires a son, then the gender ratio is going to be seriously out of whack.

I believe that this will be one of the biggest challenges the PRC will face in the next 30 years. Criminologists in plenty of countries have done studies on the effect that marriage and fatherhood have on serial offenders. For the vast majority of them, their careers in crime either slow down greatly or end after they get married, have a kid or both. There are going to be a damn lot of unsatisfied guys on the mainland and they’re not going to be helping the crime rate downward. The subsidies for daughters aren’t going to help a whole lot, either. Those subsidies are mainly for education. This means that girls are going to continue pulling ahead of men academically. In countries where this has been the trend, more and more educated women are choosing not to get married. It is already the case that educated city couples are more likely to have a daughter and poorly educated bumpkin or slum parents are likely to abort in order to have a boy. Smart city girls in any country are already slow to marry a guy from the city. They definitely aren’t going to go for the country boys dagongin’ in the city.

My mother told me that if she had had a girl she would have given it up. Luckily for her she had me.

Lucky for all of us.

Lucky for all of us.[/quote]

I don’t know about that…I think I would’ve made a pretty girl: img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smlrbt4fn.jpg

Lucky for all of us.[/quote]

I don’t know about that…I think I would’ve made a pretty girl: img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smlrbt4fn.jpg[/quote]

Did he just say that?

Mordeth, that was hilarious!

Lucky for all of us.[/quote]I don’t know about that…I think I would’ve made a pretty girl: img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smlrbt4fn.jpg[/quote]Mordeth -
Man… the tai tai & the youngcowboy walked up to my desk just as that pic opened…geeez! am I having a hard time explaining this one… :astonished:

Lucky for all of us.[/quote]I don’t know about that…I think I would’ve made a pretty girl: img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smlrbt4fn.jpg[/quote]Mordeth -
Man… the tai tai & the youngcowboy walked up to my desk just as that pic opened…geeez! am I having a hard time explaining this one… :astonished:[/quote]

Get my last girlfriend to explain it to them…her pic is here: img212.imageshack.us/img212/4592/gayjap4jw.png