Abortion to choose gender in Taiwan

Lucky for all of us.[/quote]I don’t know about that…I think I would’ve made a pretty girl: img242.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smlrbt4fn.jpg[/quote]Mordeth -
Man… the tai tai & the youngcowboy walked up to my desk just as that pic opened…geeez! am I having a hard time explaining this one… :astonished:[/quote]Get my last girlfriend to explain it to them…her pic is here: img212.imageshack.us/img212/4592/gayjap4jw.png[/quote]Not that there’s anything wrong with that… :rainbow: :heart:

In a way I’m not surprised by this, but when you hear from people you know that they got an abortion because it was a girl, or other really twisted traditional Taiwanese logic like women who believe once they marry, they have to take all the abuse from their husbands’ families…it is so mind-boggling that it happens right now in 2006.

Poor women.

Why would anyone in their right mind want to have a boy over a girl? Girls are so much cooler than boys. In my family, girls rule. If Chinese families don’t get that then they are behind the times. Oh well. Fak them! I’m #1.

This is a big promblem in India as well.

The government has put signs all over the place stating that aborting a fetus based on gender is illegal.

If I ever have kids I want to have all girls.

This is a big promblem in India as well.

The government has put signs all over the place stating that aborting a fetus based on gender is illegal.

If I ever have kids I want to have girls.

:bravo:
I

:bravo:
I

[quote=“Jive Turkey”]
I’ve been a bit disturbed by comments like these. Our first (a boy) is due in August and so of course everyone is asking us if it’s a boy or a girl. I had no strong preference, but for some reason I had always thought that our first would be a girl. I get a bit disgusted when people tell me how “lucky” we are.[/quote]

Yeah, you’d have been much more lucky to have a girl…worrying about neighbors, family members, baby sitters molesting her…hearing that she got caught giving head in the bathroom in grade 6 by her teacher. Her bringing home boys that you can see are no good, but she ignores your protests.

No thanks…boy for me please…if I’m lucky that is. :wink:

Yeah, because boys never get molested. :unamused:

Hmm. Yes, I know they do. I also know it’s safer flying in a plane than riding on a motorbike. Doesn’t mean planes don’t crash. And it doesn’t mean that if I make the statement that motorbikes are dangerous so I’d rather fly by plane…that someone out there isn’t obtuse enough to tell me that planes crash…kinda like how you’re telling me there is a chance of danger even with a boy.

In my life I’ve been felt up once at a video arcade when I was 10. Taken advantage of by a drunk teenage boy when I myself was half passed out. And had a mentally retarded man ask to see my penis in the woods by a river near my house when I was 7. So yes…I know bad things can happen to boys. You want me to list the horror stories I’ve heard from dozens of girls that I’ve dated? They make my stories sound like I was living in fucking Pleasantville.

I thought it was common sense that you need to be more careful with a girl…guess I was wrong.

Ahh, so you didn’t understand my point? Understandable…anyone who takes the time to post something like the above quoted…can’t be too bright.

Alright…I’ll try to make it simpler for you to understand.

If someone says…“I’m going to take a plane instead of driving because driving is dagerous”. And someone else says “Planes crash, too!!!”. Then the person explaining that planes crash…is clearly an idiot.

So if I say you need to be very careful with protecting a daughter (in comparison to a boy) and you come in with “Boys need protecting, too!!!” .
You see where I’m going with this? If not feel free to PM me…and I’ll dumb it down another notch for you. No need to feel embarrassed…I’m a teacher, I’m used to doing this. :wink:

To revert to the original topic (and away from all these personal accusations of stupidity, etc…)

I wouldn’t particularly say it’s an Asian thing per se as female infanticide is more prevalent in some Asian countries but not all. Don’t think this is a major issue in many South East Asian countries (MY, SG, TH, PH, IN, VN). Not saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s not at endemic levels. The reason for female infanticide are both economical and social. In India due to the dowry system. In China due to the one child policy.

It’s a shame that some of the posters here have encountered ‘Oh you’re so lucky to have a son’ comments from Taiwanese folks. However, I believe those folks are the overwhelmingingly minority.

P.S. In the state where I was born in Malaysia, there is a tribe called the Minangkabau who practised a matriachal system. So perhaps Malaysians are a little more ahead of their times! :sunglasses:

Damn, then all I ever meet is the minority, because that’s pretty much all I ever hear - and I hear it constantly.

It’s quite possible that Hepatitis B plays a larger role than female infanticide in terms of gender imbalance in Asian countries.

The link: slate.com/id/2119402/

One woman I know had a baby girl and her father-in-law gave her a million dollars. When the next child turned out to be a boy she got five million. I reckon she hopes child number three is a boy.

[quote=“navillus”]I mentioned this on another thread but will say it again. I was disgusted when my wife and I found out the sex of our child and the doctor hinted that we could have an abortion if we weren’t happy with the result.
[/quote]

First I would punch the doctor on the nose and second I would report him.

I hear that good lover’s get girls so if my first is a boy I will be angry at my girlfriend for faking orgasm’s bafour I go to buy the kama sutra

[quote=“Stian”][quote=“navillus”]I mentioned this on another thread but will say it again. I was disgusted when my wife and I found out the sex of our child and the doctor hinted that we could have an abortion if we weren’t happy with the result.
[/quote]

First I would punch the doctor on the nose and second I would report him.

I hear that good lover’s get girls so if my first is a boy I will be angry at my girlfriend for faking orgasm’s bafour I go to buy the kama sutra[/quote]

You got that totally wrong - it is opposite.

[quote=“X3M”]

You got that totally wrong - it is opposite.[/quote]

Not acording to ilustrated sience magazine