Abortion, where to go in Taipei?

Can anyone offer any advice on getting an abortion in Taipei? I just found out I’m pregnant, and am looking into a medical abortion, but not sure where to go, or how it works in Taiwan. Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful.
Thanks

2 Likes

By law (Criminal Code 288 and following), abortion is illegal (except for various medical necessity exceptions). Having said that I fully realize that the “black letter law” means amost nothing here in Taiwan. But be careful.

Brian

Lassie

Try logging into icered and find out what the situation is in Hk or Singapore. they are both cheap to get to.

Good luck

There is a clinic on Roosevelt Road, just south of HsinHai Rd, on the east side. I’m sorry I don’t have a number for you.

really?? hu… I know a couple of Taiwanese girls who have taken the abortion pill… (definatly not the mornign after pill)… I just assumed you went to you doctor and said you wanted to have the abortion pill… but I guess not if it’s illegal ??? I can probably ask… if you need. :idunno:

Are you sure abortion is illegal in Taiwan? I could have sworn it’s perfectly legal and a political non-issue here.

The word for abortion is “duo4 tai1”. You could ask around - clinics, hospitals, etc.

I’m surprised it’s illegal too. Briankennedy knows Taiwan law better than any of us, but I’ve been in a clinic in Taipei that performs abortions and it didn’t appear to be the least bit shady or secretive. It seemed as clean, professional, open and straightforward as if it were a dentist office or a foot massage place. Sorry I don’t know their address though.

It is illegal but an estimated 320,00 are performed by doctors here every year. I think the number has declined somewhat recently because widespread availability of RU487. It’s another example of how the law does not reflect actual practice here.

Sorry that this not more helpful.

One or two of my Taiwanese colleagues had abortions. Was a girl, they wanted a boy. :noway: :noway: :astonished: :astonished:

So I guess it couldn’t be too difficult.

Whatever you do, be careful.

I would have thought all the info for this topic would have been in the Women’s Forum. No?

Edit: to get access to this restricted forum send erhu a P.M. (private message).

A friend had one by taking RU486. She said that it was really easy - she just went to a hospital and told the doc what she needed. When you say that you want a ‘medical abortion’ do you mean a surgical one?

If that’s the case, I don’t know how to go about it. I guess you should go to a reputable hospital and ask there. Make sure that you don’t get any shit from the doc tho - they can be pretty narky with foreign women.

As to why I am so sure it is because I am having the mis-fortune of having to do the english edit the entire Criminal Code (including all the new amendments). So over the past few weeks I have read the entire thing through about 4 times. And yeah, I was really surprised about abortion being illegal by statute. Like some of you other folks I thought Taiwan was basically abortion on demand (at least through the first trimester).

I am almost 100% sure that the “street reality” is that abortion is available above board all over the place. Like Stray Dog mentioned you see clinics openly offerring abortions. What I would presume happens is that the doctor just fills in some stock medical “necessity” reason on the chart and goes from there.

What I would say is that the legal aspects are the least of the concerns. The bigger concern is the quality of the physican–which in Taiwan varies a lot from drunken barber pretending to be a surgeon to medicore skill level. Also remember too, bribery of physicans is the norm. (i.e. the nurse accountant will say the amount is x $NT but in addition if you want the doc’s “full attention” some additional hong bao presented directly to the doctor is in order).

yours in medical legalities,
Brian

I couldn’t help it! It was the chief! He MADE me do it! :laughing: :wink:

After doing a bit more research, I found out that surgical abortions are illegal in Taiwan, but medical abortions, such as the drug RU-486 are legal, and apparently quite easy to get. I’m just a little concerned about finding a doctor I can trust. Can anyone recommend a reputable hospital, or doctor?

Lassie, your legal research is wrong.

(unedited version)
Chapter 24
Offenses of Abortion
Article 288
A pregnant woman who by taking drugs or by other means causes her abortion shall be punished with imprisonment for not more than six months, detention, or a fine of not more than one hundred yuan.
A pregnant woman who permits another to cause her abortion shall be subject to same punishment.
If the commission of an offense specified in one of the two preceding paragraphs is necessary because of sickness or for an aversion of danger to life, the punishment shall be remitted.

Note the phrase “by taking drugs…” Let me be quick to add, I view abortion as a woman’s choice. I am not encouraging or discouraging you. I just get tired of giving people with no real names (i.e. Lassie) cyber legal advice for fucking free and then having them turn around and tell me I am full of shit and do not know what the hell I am talking about.

On a lighter note, Sandman, thanks for the edit; I used up all my editor chi (qi, Japanese “ki”) already today thus the mistake.

I really gotta lay off the chat forums, it is supposed to be a way to relax and help people out—but it never turns out that way. Oh, well, time for bed.

take care,
Brian

brianlkennedy,
This is one of many articles that came up after googling abortion in Taiwan.

RU-486 approved for controlled sales
STAFF WRITER , WITH AP AND AFP
Friday, Dec 29, 2000,Page 2

Taiwan’s Department of Health yesterday approved the use of the controversial abortion pill RU-486. Department officials, however, stressed that the drug can only be used by women who are less than seven-weeks pregnant and must be taken under the supervision of a doctor.
PHOTO: LIN CHENG-KUNG, TAIPEI TIMES[/quote]
taipeitimes.com/News/local/a … 2/29/67441

ooops, here’s that link again

taipeitimes.com/News/local/a … 2/29/67441

[url]Ob-Gyn/Abortion in Taipei

[url]Abortion clinics

[url]Abortion in Taiwan

Lassie, these are some thread links I found in the Women’s forum. I hope they help

Best of luck :rainbow:

Hmm, who do I trust, a lawyer currently working on the English version of the Criminal Code, or the Taipei Times?

Actually I’m very great full for all the advice I’ve received, with the exception of you and brianlkennedy’s sarcasm, and lack of sensitivity.