Abortions in Taiwan

this is really frowned upon by the middle classes in the UK. I’ve totally changed my mind on it. We need young parents, for one. Also, why shouldn’t girls have babies? It’s natural, it’s beautiful and it can help people by happy and grounded.[/quote]
Obviously not a parent.[/quote]
Why is that, jabone? I’m sure if I weren’t a parent, I’d be a snarky, inconsiderate foulmouthed bastard.[/quote]And if I weren’t a parent, I probably wouldn’t be up all night and frequently covered in puke. Then again, such things were known to happen back when life was less beautiful, happy and grounded.

[quote=“urodacus”]Are early abortions really a loss of lives? not really. Potential lives, perhaps. But not independent lives, and that’s the point.
[/quote]

So you’re in car accident and you’re severely injured, but with full potential to recover 100%, but you need a respirator to help you breathe…guess what? You’re shit out of luck, pal! Now you’re no longer an “independent life,” capable of fending for yourself, and following your thinking, turning off the respirator and murdering you is not “really a loss of life.” Smart. :loco:

Failed analogy. See, before the car crash you were an independent tax payer. Afterwards, perhaps not, but worth trying to recuperate. Embryos, OTOH, are not, and not because they don’t pay tax, but because they’re not viable. The vast majority of embryos never implant anyway, so where’s the hard and fast moral line to be drawn on that one, eh?

life is a lot cheaper than people believe, even after it’s paid taxes*.

Of course, i’d rather be dead than quadriplegic, so turn my machine off as you leave, please, if that happens to me.

Does a random post on Forumosa constitute a properly-accredited living will?

• the tax thing is a red herring. Honest. :cactus: :arse:

There’s no smilie for that, so I’ll use a cactus and an arse instead.

I think this is quite a bit of an overstatement.

I have known a number of women whom birth control pills have permanently damaged their chances for having children. I have also known others who have had other complications (high blood pressure, seizures, the list goes on and on…). This stuff is not given much attention because of how lucrative the BC pill industry is, how promiscuous a society much of the modern world has become and the rise of teenage pregnancy in the lower class. Very often, in the US birth control is over prescribed to young teenagers (who are NOT sexually active btw) to help with extremely difficult menstrual cycles.

Just another point…

I have heard the high number is due to the taboo against having a child out of wedlock here and is pretty much the same throughout much of East Asia.

[youTubeBB3][/youTubeBB3

I completely agree that no drug should be prescribed thoughtlessly or without adequate monitoring. Possibly some of the bad reputation is caused by people buying the pills OTC rather than consulting a doctor; and even if they did, doctors here seem to treat drugs like they’re M&Ms. Certainly some people react badly, but there are several different types with different modes of action, and often changing to a different one solves the problem. That’s where you need a competent doctor to advise you, of course :slight_smile:.

The fact that they are so widely used and monitored (usually) has provided an enormous amount of research data. AFAIK, assuming an appropriate prescription, the general consensus is there is a slightly elevated risk of thrombosis but a lowered risk of various cancers. I believe the recommendation is to take a break (at least six months out of 18) to avoid any long-term effects. Sure, we should take the pronouncements of drug companies with a large pinch of salt, but considering that virtually every woman in Europe and the US has used the pill at some point in her life, the number of complications seems to be remarkably low. And remember the whole point of taking the drug is to avoid a life-changing and (presumably) undesirable event, ie., pregnancy (and abortion).

Having said that I’ve never pressured a gf into using it. I’ve asked if she might want to, but if she says no, that’s the end of the matter, whatever the reason. It’s a real pity there is still no effective male contraceptive drug.

No contraceptive pill is free of serious side effects ranging from regular headaches to permanent infertility. It is not an easy decision to take. In a society which is trying to remain conservative while having a free will of maintaining relationships; abortions are going to be high in number. Further, instead of pills a better option is using condoms; it will not only help with pregnancy but will also work as hepatitis blocker which is prevalent here.

The figure is too high to make sense, 200,000 yes, but 500,000??? We have 12 million women on this island, 3/4 of which are not fertile due to age related issues, with 1/3 of the rest not being sexually active, that means that sexually active women of childbearing age on average get an abortion every 4 years.

Birth control pills are readily available here, and someone must be using the condoms for sale everywhere.

you’ve obviously never had to live with seriously debilitating menstrual cycles as a teenager.

you’ve obviously never had to live with seriously debilitating menstrual cycles as a teenager.[/quote]

This is true, I am a man.

But your implied assessment is extremely inaccurate as it would seem to suggest I am saying treatment is unimportant.

What I am saying is that BC is not always the best treatment especially as it only masks symptoms and does not actually fix/heal the underlying issue. Rather than just giving someone a pill to feel better it would be better to actually heal them long term. BC is used as a quick and easy fix, though it fixes nothing long term.

[quote=“Mr He”]The figure is too high to make sense, 200,000 yes, but 500,000??? We have 12 million women on this island, 3/4 of which are not fertile due to age related issues, with 1/3 of the rest not being sexually active, that means that sexually active women of childbearing age on average get an abortion every 4 years.

Birth control pills are readily available here, and someone must be using the condoms for sale everywhere.[/quote]

For what it’s worth - every girl I’ve dated in Taiwan has had at least 1 abortion - and out of all my female friends in Japan, all have had at least 1, with the record being 7.

you’ve obviously never had to live with seriously debilitating menstrual cycles as a teenager.[/quote]

This is true, I am a man.

But your implied assessment is extremely inaccurate as it would seem to suggest I am saying treatment is unimportant.

What I am saying is that BC is not always the best treatment especially as it only masks symptoms and does not actually fix/heal the underlying issue. Rather than just giving someone a pill to feel better it would be better to actually heal them long term. BC is used as a quick and easy fix, though it fixes nothing long term.[/quote]

hormone regulatory pills (i.e., The Pill) ARE the best treatment for the excessively heavy periods that about 5-10% of young women experience as teenagers before their periods settle down when they get older. Many of them spend years of misery before they find a doctor who recognises or is willing to treat the condition. Having a baby is another way of dealing with the symptoms, but that’s not an option for 14 year olds in the modern world, normally. the pill DOES fix the underlying problem. Alternatives, such as taking Ponstan ® or mefenamic acid, etc., or other less effective NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, are what masks the symptoms. Birth control pills actually fix the problem by manipulating hormone levels.

carry on.

[quote=“urodacus”]

hormone regulatory pills (i.e., The Pill) ARE the best treatment for the excessively heavy periods that about 5-10% of young women experience as teenagers before their periods settle down when they get older. Many of them spend years of misery before they find a doctor who recognises or is willing to treat the condition. Having a baby is another way of dealing with the symptoms, but that’s not an option for 14 year olds in the modern world, normally. the pill DOES fix the underlying problem. Alternatives, such as taking Ponstan ® or mefenamic acid, etc., or other less effective NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, are what masks the symptoms. Birth control pills actually fix the problem by manipulating hormone levels.

carry on.

.[/quote]

For many ladies who go off the pill the problems reappear.

That means the underlying problem is not fixed, but was being masked.

Keep carrying or whatever…

So stay on it. No big deal.

“Oh, doctor, when i don’t take my meds i feel sick.”

why the antipathy? are you on an anti-medicine organic-health binge here?

Who cares. I jerked off earlier and flushed the tissue down the toilet.

[quote=“Confuzius”][quote=“urodacus”]

carry on.

.[/quote]

For many ladies who go off the pill the problems reappear.

That means the underlying problem is not fixed, but was being masked.

Keep carrying or whatever…[/quote]

The underlying problem is: I menstruate. Can you fix that?

Thanks! If you don’t want to continue discussing this no one is forcing you.

[quote=“urodacus”]
“Oh, doctor, when I don’t take my meds i feel sick.”

why the antipathy? are you on an anti-medicine organic-health binge here?[/quote]

Not what I said at all (for some reason this happens a lot on forumosa).

My point is the hormone imbalance which causes extreme menstrual cycles is often symptomatic of something else. Thus, taking medication that only temporarily restores balance is not fixing the underlying problem which causes the hormonal imbalance in the first place. Thus, it is fixing nothing and only masking symptoms.

Since the hormonal imbalance can be caused by a number of different things, simply prescribing BC often fixes nothing although it makes the symptoms manageable. This is why i said many Dr’s over prescribe BC to teenagers since it is not a long term fix. A long term fix would be determining the underlying cause and treating that.

Anyone can take whatever medicine they want, I don’t give a flying fooey. You just contested something I said so I wrote more for clarification. Respond ifya want, don’t ifya don’t.

Um, no, the hormone ‘imbalance’ as you put it is not symptomatic of something else, it is an idiopathic condition. No precipitating cause, but perhaps a relic of an older era when it could be relieved by getting pregnant and carrying a foetus through at least six months. Not a normal situation these days, hence the increased prevalence of severe menstrual discomfort. So, it’s not a disease per se, but an inappropriate condition in today’s modern society.

which is getting off the topic that 500,000 abortions annually in Taiwan is too many.

yup, it’s probably over reporting.

but abortion is not the problem: it’s lack of birth control. Wear a frikkin rubber, boys and girls. Or tak the pill. or wear a cap or a loop.

or jack off. or have sex with the dog.

[quote=“urodacus”]
which is getting off the topic that 500,000 abortions annually in Taiwan is too many.

yup, it’s probably over reporting.

but abortion is not the problem: it’s lack of birth control. Wear a frikkin rubber, boys and girls. Or tak the pill. or wear a cap or a loop.

or jack off. or have sex with the dog.[/quote]

:bravo: