Absentee ballots for US citizens

With only 67 days left until the US presidential election, I thought some people might want to get an early start on the absentee voting process.

It’s actually pretty easy. I just filled out the form to request the absentee ballot to be sent to my office in Taipei:

fvap.gov/shortcuts/get-regis … index.html

(You can even enter the fields directly on the PDF and then just print and sign.)

Mail it to your local election official and then they’ll send you the official absentee ballot. To find your local election official, click on the link above and click on your state. All relevant instructions are provided.

If anyone else has info that will help people get this done then please feel free to add.

The Overseas Vote Foundation guides you through the process needed for the state you last lived in. It is easy and you can email any questions you have to them and they respond within 24 hours and are very helpful.

Just giving this a bump because I think it’s important. The Overseas Vote Foundation is an extremely useful site.

For a partisan site (Democratic),

Go to www.votefromabroad.org

I like this one because it’s all automatic – no need to fill in any PDFs or anything - you specify your status, state, and they only ask you the questions required for your status and state, then e-mail you a filled-out PDF with the instructions.

And it’s not blatantly partisan – at the end they ask if you’d like to join Democrats Abroad. You can say no.

I have my absentee ballot! And yes, my vote is going to Obama!

Nader!

Who?

Pssst, Republicans: Barr!!

Who?

Pssst, Republicans: Barr!![/quote]
I come from Oklahoma, which is the most McCain of any state in the Union. So I don’t think it’s going to matter much what I do.

[quote=“BAH”]For a partisan site (Democratic),

Go to votefromabroad.org

I like this one because it’s all automatic – no need to fill in any PDFs or anything - you specify your status, state, and they only ask you the questions required for your status and state, then e-mail you a filled-out PDF with the instructions.
[/quote]

The Overseas Vote Foundation also automatically fills out a printable PDF once you answer some simple questions. It is a non-partisan organization so Democrates and Republicans are free to use it.

I urge all American citizens, whether you will vote for Obama or McSame, to register to vote and/or request an absentee ballot; it’s not too late to get our country back on track. It looks like this election will come down to the wire, so go to the abovementioned site now! Rock the vote! Vote or Die! and so on and so forth.

Who?

Pssst, Republicans: Barr!![/quote]
I come from Oklahoma, which is the most McCain of any state in the Union. So I don’t think it’s going to matter much what I do.[/quote]

“The most common way people give up their power is to believe that they don’t have any.” -Alice Walker, an Obama supporter.

At least I get to vote against Inhofe. That’s satisfying.

It always matters what you do, as a matter of principle. :wink:

Nice one. I got an email from my city clerk saying they received my application. Taipei to Detroit in about 10 days so that was pretty good.

I look forward to receiving my ballot as well. I like to hand it to my friends that are non-US citizens. I remember reading on the 2004 absentee ballot that it is a felony for any non-American to be in possession of the document.

BUMP: Important topic.

I sent my request for an absentee ballot about ten days ago, but I haven’t heard anything yet. I wonder if all States send an email to confirm that they received the request? WA in particular.

Depends on your state and county. Call their offices…there’s usually a live person ready to answer questions.

My state is red, but I know that my vote cancels out some backwoods hick’s vote. And THAT’s what makes me vote.

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]
My state is red, but I know that my vote cancels out some backwoods hick’s vote. And THAT’s what makes me vote.[/quote]
Haha, what a great statement. My state is always blue, which kind of makes me want to vote for Nader or McKinney. But we’ll see. McSame’s been pulling some pretty sleazy stuff over the last couple of months which makes an Obama vote all the more appealing, even if it is only symbolic. Damned electoral college.

Click
HERE
for useful voting info.