Absynthe

[quote=“Mr He”]They had 2 bottles on the shelf last sunday.

Perhaps entering Carnegies not wearing beer goggles might help.[/quote]

No, I definitely seem to get those once I’m inside. And cold hard sober this morning and the recipient of an e-mail full of pics from a night in Carnage a few years back (isn;t that against the rules?), I don’t think my vision is in any way impaired by beer goggles. There be many a fly wench in the background snaps of a large bellied and haired buffoon acting the fool (not me!).

HG

The City Super under the new Sogo has it, saw it last week when showing a friend around Taipei. She’s wondering if she can bring it back to HK or if I can ship it to her there.

Absinthe?
No problem. How many bottles do you want. Oozo, Sambuca, Maker’s Mark, you name it. I think I can get it. Absinthe is absolutely no problem as is Sambuca. Just let me know by PM. I have a direct contact with an importer that does this all the time. I love Sambuca and now have a ready supply. I know there are others out there that want the “hard to find”. let me know. I can probably get it.
Damn, just like back in the 60’s hauling keys back from Portland into Seattle. I guess a mule is always a mule

A nice article - A Liquor of Legend Makes a Comeback- about this spirit/aperitif/drink/poison etc.

I bought mine from Carrefour in Taoyuan. No problem, lots on the shelf.

I bought a bottle of that stuff from taoyuan Carrefour as well, cause it’s the firt time i’d seen any in ages. that Fruko brand is not the best: no louche, very artificial mouth-wash colour and taste, not a complex flavour at all. lucky it was only 1300 for a 500ml bottle, and the thujone level is (supposedly) moderate, or i’d have felt ripped off…

I saw it in Songshan Carrefour yesterday. Did a double-take: oooh, absinthe. But then I saw the price – NT1300 – and figured it’s not worth the expense, in the event it tastes crappy. Judging by the color (light mouthwash color) it likely will. It was from Czech.

I ended up buying a bottle of Jim Beam for NT400 instead. :slight_smile:

But I’m still curious about the stuff; guess I’ll have to try it at Carnage.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I saw it in Songshan Carrefour yesterday. Did a double-take: oooh, absinthe. But then I saw the price – NT1300 – and figured it’s not worth the expense, in the event it tastes crappy. Judging by the color (light mouthwash color) it likely will. It was from Czech.

I ended up buying a bottle of Jim Beam for NT400 instead. :slight_smile:

But I’m still curious about the stuff; guess I’ll have to try it at Carnage.[/quote]
It tastes basically like Pernod or Ricard. If you like pastis, you’ll probably like absinthe.

I have two spoons and a box of sugar cubes if anyone needs. I bring three bottles back from South Africa every year. Czech absinthe 80% proof :lick: .
The trick is to get the “fricassee” right. When drunk, absithe needs to milky in colour, much like Ouzo when mixed with water. A lot of pubs here don’t seem to get that right. Carnagies and Fresh are crap at it, but Bliss does it perfectly.
Thing about absinthe is that it tastes sweet and innocuous, so when you’ve gobbled down 4 of the critters, you have in effect, had the equivalent of 10 vodkas. It hits hard and before you know it, you’re falling down. I don’t get memory blanks from heavy drinking, but it happens with absinthe every time. :blush:

I like pasties.

I like pasties and a g-string.

But I can’t say for sure whether I like pastis or not.

In any event, NT1300 a bottle seems a little steep. I doubt it would make me into a mad artistic genius anyway.

Most of the crap they sell here is Absinthe, it’s similar enough, but not quite the real deal and it doesn’t mix well with water.
Unlike the picture below, you won’t get that result with the NT$1,300 stuff.

You can get better stuff in the Breeze center, but it’s not cheap.

If you are looking for a mind altering alcohol you will have to look somewhere else. Read this, Absinthe. As it has a solid run down of the drink and its history. Absinthe is a tasty beverage; it should be enjoyed like any other good quality alcohol. If you buy the poorly made version, it is just like drinking poorly made vodka. I recommend King of Spirits if you want a good Swiss version or Trul for a Czech brand. If you like slightly weaker alcohol content, try the French Pernod 68. Hope you enjoy it.

Someone gave me a bottle of Pernod once and I hated the taste and just dumped it down the drain. None of my buds wanted anything to do with it either so.

400nt for a bottle of Jim Beam?
Thats cheap. Here at Safeways its like 13.99 plus tax. So thats a deal for a 750cc bottle.

Pernod is also not my favorite either, but its the best of the French absinthe. I like King over the others and Trul is what I normal recommend for folks that want to try absinthe for the first time as it tastes fine no matter what way they want to drink it: straight(for the crazies), louche (classic), or the flaming sugar cube thing (Czech).

Of course that’s what we’re looking for. Don’t kid yourself that we just want an ordinary liquor. Absynthe’s appeal is almost exclusively based on its legendary association with famous writers and authors and with genius, madness and death.

If we were willing to settle for less than we would be content to drink from the other green bottle – taiwan beer.

:ponder: Well, if you are going for the bohemian experience you will have to get some Laudanum, an alcoholic opium derivative. As with any opium byproduct it is very addictive, mind altering, and fatal if overdosed. This is what the old guys used when they mixed it with absinthe. The closest you will get with normal uncut absinthe is a yellowish halo around lights if you drink a lot on a regular basis. That is about the only real effect the chemical Thujone produces after prolonged use. However, if taken in to high of a dose, ie. adding it yourself(somehow), it will cause convulsions and then death. Mind you this requires you to make your own absinthe as you would have to double the amount in even the strongest commercially made absinthe.

:whistle: Course there are easier and cheaper options available…

Last time I drank that (Bliss, years ago) I ended up with half my office, the people, not the desks, on my roof garden at dawn, missing a shoe. Dignity and absinthe seldom leave in the same taxi.

@bcup

Great quote !!! Very funny.

Perhaps they should rename the drink ABSENT as one takes a holiday from reason?

pernod tastes better than ricard. looks nicer too.

Absinthe was legalized (with conditions) a couple years ago in the US. You can now find real (albeit low-thujone) absinthe, complete with wormwood, on the shelves of your corner liquor store.

Absinthe is the last victim of the Temperance Movement.